Quote Originally Posted by Tempest
Doesn't the same system 1 mono AV cable work with the SMS?
Yes and that's the problem. The SMS and Genesis model 1 have the same DIN connector on the back so they're both Mono. I've read several documents and they all seem to say the same thing. Can someone confirm this?

Tempest
The SMS and Genesis 1 A/V cables are compatible, and both very mono. There is absolutely no stereo audio leading to the Genesis A/V connector. Unless you've rewired the console, there is no way to obtain stereo audio from a Genesis 1 without using the headphone connectors. I used to use my Commodore 64 video cable with my Genesis(which has 3 RCA plugs: Y/C+Audio, 2 of which share the same pins as the composite video/audio on the Gen1); I suspect similar arrangements have caused this confusion regarding the existance of Genesis 1 stereo A/V cables.

That being said, I still don't understand why you don't want to just use a 1/8" stereo male -> 1/8" stereo male wire to connect the Genesis into the Sega CD, and use the RCA jacks on the SCD for audio. I only wish more consoles used standard A/V connectors on the back. It's only a little extra wiring, and it beats the hack 'n slash you'll have to do to get a Gen 1/SCD/32X down to one A/V cable.

Besides, stereo Genesis 2/3/32X cables cost alot more than the mono versions, and seem to be harder to find. If anybody can source them for under $6, I'm all ears.