Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I've had Mega SG and Super NT since they each came out. I was on them immediately. They've seen a lot of use, Nintendo more than Sega.

I immediately signed up for the Duo notification list so I could be on top of it too once it was made available. Of course, that was 2020. It wasn't too long after I had purchased a CIB RGB-modded Duo from a friend (a former regular here I might add) and even though I don't have much of a collection - maybe 6 cards and 2 CD-based titles - I was excited. I could mothball the Duo and not stress it too much. As fate would have it though, something gave out on it and it stopped getting power. Add in the fact that I've moved twice since then and I currently have little space for gaming stuff - so my focus changed to MiSTer and Retroarch on the Series X.

And that's where things have stayed for quite some time now. I'm not really collecting much anymore at all, and when I do feel that urge to play something, I have everything at my fingertips. I don't have to look for the game and/or console. And emulation now is a far cry from years past, and I'd imagine for many, it fits the bill now. There will be some enthusiasts that spring for it, sure, but fringe cases (such as myself) who aren't hardcore-dedicated to having everything be latest and greatest can pass on this. And of course games are already stupid expensive so I can't imagine this machine being someone's gateway into collecting for the system.

All this said, I almost did go ahead and buy one as soon as they were available. Had it in the cart and everything. Eventually decided that I have other ways to play these games practically flawlessly and that I'd be better off not dropping the nearly $300 with shipping to get one. I'd love to play my Rondo of Blood and Gradius 2 discs again but is it really necessary now? Emulation can handle that. I don't regret changing my mind at all.

Eventually I'll have room again to get my CRT collection out and I'll be able to use my older consoles again, especially the Duo if I ever bother to get it repaired.

It just feels that the market has shifted and the space for things like this is way smaller than it was 3 years ago. And this is to say nothing of the Pocket.

(also, long time no post!)
    Last edited by Oobgarm; 05-25-2023 at 09:00 PM.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.