too late, already did. nyah nyah!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Almost got Turbo Outrun.

http://blogs.sega.com/2016/04/25/seg...ion-interview/

http://blogs.sega.com/2016/05/17/seg...erview-part-2/

Please don't be finished, Sega/M2. And if there's another game, please let it be this one instead of the others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I picked this up on a whim, as I've always wanted to play Power Drift. Other than Sonic, Altered Beast, and Galaxy Force II, I have very limited prior experience with the rest of these games. Here are some impressions.

Sonic the Hedgehog - 3D isn't as good as Sonic 2, where all the crevices in the rocks got their own 3D layer. This is the japanese version with the scrolling clouds though, so that is cool. The water in Green Hill Zone seems to have that angled plane like Streets of Rage 2 3D does on the street, a nice touch.
    Thunder Blade - AMAZING 3D, a perfect fit for this title. I haven't played this since I was a kid in the 80's and the hit box seems very large on the chopper, but maybe I just suck and need practice.
    Altered Beast - I like this game, the 3D doesn't do much here, but what COULD it do, really? It's a simplistic game, not many layers of parallax. Really odd choice as they were also considering Golden Axe as a 3D classic, and why the Genesis version?
    Puyo Puyo 2 - Only tested this out, subtle 3D effect separating the little blobs from the background.
    Power Drift - I have to admit, I usually play with 3D on full, but this game gave me an INSTANT headache as my brain tried to sort out the layers. Playing it with the slider clicked just barely on is a comfortable fit though, and the game is super fun and very responsive. Or just play with the 3D off, it's a super fun game. edit: You know it must be super fun, since I typed it twice.
    Galaxy Force II - This is the enhanced JP PS2 port with transparent explosions. 3D is pretty great. Sorry I don't have more feedback, I played it to death on PS2 and only tested it out here, so far. LEFT TURN!!
    Fantasy Zone II (master system) - Fun game, 3D is a very basic couple of layers like you might expect.
    Fantasy Zone II Tears of Opa Opa (arcade) - This one surprised me a lot! First off, I'd never played it and it is quite addictive, a heck of a lot of fun. Crisp, VIBRANT graphics. The 3D is very nice too! Opa Opa itself has several layers of 3D, one on it's body, another on its feet, and yet another on its wings. Very nice attention to detail for the 3D transfer. This is a standout title for the collection, in my opinion.
    Maze Walker (master system) - Watching gameplay before I purchased the collection, this honestly looked really boring to me. The 3D however, fits PERFECT here, and the game is actually quite fun. The only thing I can think to compare it to is Chip's Challenge, but without the puzzles. And with mazes. That probably makes no sense. Another game I didn't expect to enjoy, but quickly became a standout title for me. I know I will be coming back to this one again.

There are almost too many options on these games to mention: such as "classic mode" (at least on Sonic the Hedgehog) which gives the impression of a fuzzy 80's SD television complete with bubbled out 4:3 screen (3D really gives this effect) and slightly off kilter color balance. More of a gimmick than anything, but a nice vintage touch. Games that had deluxe cabs like Galaxy Force II have the option for screen tilt when you move side to side in the game (to simulate as if you are riding in the motion cabs). Some of them also have arcade sound effects (button pressing and hydraulics type sounds). You can remap your controls as well. I haven't gone through all the option menus for all games in the collection yet, so I'll just stop here. Being greedy, I still would have liked a little more value for $29.99 (like maybe Streets of Rage 1, or Super Hang On) but I am happy with the purchase since two of the games I wrote off as forgettable turned out to be surprising good times.
    Last edited by SpaceHarrier; 05-18-2016 at 10:19 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

The console version of Altered Beast was used due to the arcade version having no levels of scrolling at all. I read that in an M2 interview and thought for sure they must be mistaken, went back to check it out and it is indeed flat as a pancake.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You missed a game. The original SMS Fantasy Zone is hidden here and is accessible without needing a save file present from the earlier collection that we never got, which was its unlock requirement in Japan.

It even got a brand new FM soundtrack option based on the arcade game, something that it didn't originally have due to predating the FM sound add-on when it originally was developed.

Last edited by Leo_A; 02-21-2019 at 06:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    The console version of Altered Beast was used due to the arcade version having no levels of scrolling at all. I read that in an M2 interview and thought for sure they must be mistaken, went back to check it out and it is indeed flat as a pancake.
    With the console version of Altered Beast already having several layers of scrolling, M2 added another layer to the final level where it's pretty obvious the original console version could have used it. There may or may not be other additional layers on other levels, but I've yet to spot any.