Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    wallsmasher64
    Steam
    toxicklay

It's just laughable that a website that declares itself as "The Video Game Database" refuses to categorize the 13 year old best selling video game console of all time as classic. It even says in the huge description for the forum that it doesn't have to be old to be CLASSIC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You make it sound as if classifying it as modern gaming is somehow an insult.

It's just an arbitrary divide to separate discussion, a hold over from the days when the forum was booming and the forum needed organization to best handle the various needs of the community which led to the creation of several sub-forums. It's not as if they're somehow cheating it of its birthright by having discussion assigned to this particular area of the forum.

Some of you are giving this way too much thought.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-22-2014 at 04:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

It's not a big deal to me at all, whether PS2 remains in Modern Gaming, or gets moved to Classic Gaming.

That said, I will start to no longer refer to PS4 and Xbox One as 'next-gen' anymore. They are (along with Wii U) now what I consider to be the new current-gen.

The Xbox 360, Wii and PS3 are now, last-gen.
    After all, why would I, or anyone, still refer to last gen as being Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox and GameCube?

As we move into 2014 and past the time PS4 launches in Japan, NEXT-gen will start more & more to mean the future generation that refers to consoles that are now being planned, that will be going into the first stages of R&D (or already have) meaning Sony PS5, Microsoft's successor to Xbox One and Nintendo's 7th home console, which Iwata already stated back in January this year was being R&D'ed as of 2012 along with their next handheld which will be two separate pieces of hardware sharing the same hardware & OS software architecture, regardless of the actual performance/power/speed of each system. It is not as if they're making a single hybrid machine, as some might think--Be sure to read the last two paragraphs in the link very carefully.

Am I saying these future consoles will come out in 2-3 years? No. I am not saying that, at all. They most likely won't arrive until sometime during the 2018-2019 timeframe. Both Sony and EA have said they believe this new console cycle might not be quite as long as the last one (which was 7-8 years from the time Xbox 360 launched in 2005 and PS3 in 2006) but perhaps more like 5-6 years, which would be a more normal amount of time given this past cycle was an unusually long one.
    Last edited by parallaxscroll; 12-08-2013 at 11:02 PM.