Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
I think there a great many reasons for this. One, I feel that the likes of Konami and Capcom developed games and then applied a license to them. The game came first, the licensed bits later. I think the inverse is/was true for US developers, which is to say that they built everything around the licensed property, with far less (if any) concern over whether or not a good game was to come of it.

I'm also fairly certain that the quality of the game is indicative of the quality of the property it's based on. How many of the licensed games in question are really great and who owns the IP? I'd say only a handful and almost all are owned by Disney. Disney, like em or not, is known for producing good quality product (TV/film), so having a good game to go along with their IPs only makes sense. They don't need to cash-in on their films right away because their films have lasting power. A game can come out a year after the film's theatrical release and people will still care, versus something like Total Recall which is easily forgotten by most of the game's target audience.

So crappy licensed game probably have less to do with the developer and more the movie and TV studios pushing to have a product ready at the same time as the film/TV show release so as to not miss their window of opportunity, and I'd like to think that Japanese developers were/are less likely to take on a rush project like that, since it would potentially tarnish their brand.

Good observations! The SG-1000 game Zoom 909 being turned into Buck Rogers is one example that comes to mind. Then there's TRON. The 1982 arcade game made more money than the movie.