Thread: good point and click games?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream: The last 5 surviving members of humanity are held captive by an insane sentient super computer who keeps them alive for an eternity of psychological torture. The prisoners must face their own fears, escape captivity, defeat AM (the computer), and die.
    You neglected to mention it was based on short story by Harlan Ellison, who most forum goers likely know as the guy who wrote "The City on the Edge of Forever" for the original Star Trek series. Ellison actually had a very strong influence on the game's development. Here's a 1995 interview with Ellison about the game.

BTW, Ellison has no qualms about letting people know what he thinks of video games in general, but he's definitely a collector like us. Check out his comic book collection here. I can't remember if it's shown in this video or elsewhere, but he also started hoarding type writers and ribbons back in the 90s!
    Last edited by sfchakan; 08-06-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I saddened and shocked Fate of Atlantis took that long to pop up. It's considered by many as the best of those SCUMM engine titles. And no love for Sam and Max Hit the Road?

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by sfchakan View Post
    You neglected to mention it was based on short story by Harlan Ellison, who most forum goers likely know as the guy who wrote "The City on the Edge of Forever" for the original Star Trek series. Ellison actually had a very strong influence on the game's development. Here's a 1995 interview with Ellison about the game.

BTW, Ellison has no qualms about letting people know what he thinks of video games in general, but he's definitely a collector like us. Check out his comic book collection here. I can't remember if it's shown in this video or elsewhere, but he also started hoarding type writers and ribbons back in the 90s!
    Call me pessimistic but I didn't think most people would even know who he was today. But thanks for sharing the interview, I love the end when they start asking him random cultural questions he just goes off on these highly opinionated rants.

When he mentioned wanting to make an unwinable game it reminded me of Titanic: Adventure Out of Time. Another older point and click I really enjoyed. The player travels back in time to affect change on board the Titanic, however the better you do in the game the worst the impact is on history.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Here's a game that will fly under most people's radar. Scooby Doo Mystery (Sega Genesis version--AVOID THE SNES VERSION).

It's got two full mysteries, both based loosely on a classic episode. It plays sort of like Maniac Mansion or several other LucasArts adventures, is very true to the feel of the series but has enough charm to work for non-fans as well. It's not too difficult though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Call me pessimistic but I didn't think most people would even know who he was today.
    You might not want to watch this video then! It was from the mid-90s also. Ends on a really sad note.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

A Vampyre Story is one of the best Click N' Point adventure games I have played in a long time. It was created by Autumn Moon Entertainment, the studio founded by Bill Tiller. He is an Ex Lucas Arts employee that was the lead artist on The Dig and The Curse of Monkey Island.

Unfortunately their publisher screwed them over so they cannot make a sequel anytime soon and they recently had an unsuccessful Kickstarter for a prequel. Regardless, it looks like the prequel WILL eventually happen though! I can't wait.

It has fantastic art direction, hilarious and charming characters, a great soundtrack, and some clever puzzles. I also cant get over how much Mona and Heidi Klum sound alike at times. My girlfriend pointed it out one day while she was watching Project Runway.

Here is the intro and a few seconds of gameplay.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sfchakan View Post

There was actually an interview with the developers about this game maybe a year ago in Game Informer. It was a quite interesting to read and what piqued my interest about the game as well.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    There was actually an interview with the developers about this game maybe a year ago in Game Informer. It was a quite interesting to read and what piqued my interest about the game as well.
    A quick google search found it.

Click Me

Very interesting read, thanks for the suggestion.