Thread: RetroN 5 is officially a thing, apparently

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Manga4life View Post
    Any word on a release date on the RetroN 5?
    Hyperkin hasn't said anything about it since PAX, but I suspect they might say something at E3 next month. Their original announcement of "summer" seems unlikely since the PAX system and controller was still in the prototype phase. I think you could probably expect one maybe by January next year. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikointeractive View Post
    Retrobit is too late to the party with half of what the Retron5 is offering.
    Maybe, but not necessarily since Hyperkin is doing with emulation and not reversed engineered hardware as RetroBit is sticking with. The emulation might be inferior to RetroBit's performance, or some games might not work with the emulation. It all depends on how much of the promises Hyperkin made with the Retron5 they actually deliver on.

Only time will tell.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

All I want is a system that will play the MegaDrive game "Super Skid Marks". I have owned this game for several years without being able to play it. I want to give this game a go......

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. BaconStein View Post
    It looks like Hyperkin has competition... from Retro-Bit

Found this on their Facebook. Apparently it is called the "Super Retro Trio"

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201..._and_gba_games

It is a micro switch, similar to Neo Geo.
    I am not familiar to the neo geo micro switch. Is it a 4 or 8 contact? Possibly something entirely different?

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

Found this on their Facebook. Apparently it is called the "Super Retro Trio"

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201..._and_gba_games

It is a micro switch, similar to Neo Geo.
    I am not familiar to the neo geo micro switch. Is it a 4 or 8 contact? Possibly something entirely different?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    All I want is a system that will play the MegaDrive game "Super Skid Marks". I have owned this game for several years without being able to play it. I want to give this game a go......
    Is that the game where you can race cows?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by 8-Bit Archeology View Post
    like an arcade joystick, it has four microswitches and eight way movement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

No images yet, but from the press release, it's got:

- Bluetooth Controller
    - GBA support
    - HDMI support
    - “Perdana” Digital User Interface (???)

Sadly no N64 yet, but it looks like we are getting a lot closer. I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting them to do a four-cart clone, especially not one with GBA. This should be very interesting.

http://hyperkin.com/blog/2013/03/hyp...aming-classic/
    Dr BackonStein, can you edit your original post so that this thread name becomes "ReotrN 5 is officially a thing, apparently"? There are some people who confuse the Retorn 4 and the Retorn 5 as two different systems and there was a duplicate thread about the Retorn5 here. If people saw this thread as the topic for Retorn5, it would make it easier for those who seek to learn about it and discuss it to not get it confused with some other clone.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Dr BackonStein, can you edit your original post so that this thread name becomes "ReotrN 5 is officially a thing, apparently"? There are some people who confuse the Retorn 4 and the Retorn 5 as two different systems and there was a duplicate thread about the Retorn5 here. If people saw this thread as the topic for Retorn5, it would make it easier for those who seek to learn about it and discuss it to not get it confused with some other clone.
    Fixed.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Wow, you haven't really been paying attention have you? Let me address your concerns:

That's NOT a dpad. It's a digital clickstick similar to the NeoGeo CDZ and NeoGeo Pocket. Hyperkin is likely going that way to appease SNK fans as well as for retro fighting games, shooters, etc. If it's done right, a clickstick is a thousand times better than a dpad. Only time will tell if Hyperkin gets it right, but giving them shit for trying is pointless. I COMMEND hyperkin for trying.

And you base this on....what exactly? You know this just a prototype design right? Also, since when were brick controllers a bad thing? Look at oh I don't know, both the NES and Sega Master System controllers?

Actually, I think the point is you DON'T know that. Past results don't mean squat when talking about a future product. Your flawed comparison would be like not liking the N64 controller and then condemning the GameCube for that reason.

Nope, wrong. The Retorn5 will allow users to freely remap the controls to whatever they like, for any game at any time. This will also apply to OEM NES, SNES and Genesis controllers as well.

I somewhat agree, but from the sounds of it one of the controllers will be needed to access the main navigation menu, so without the controllers the system would be useless. Of course, the system is still in the beta stages, so things could/probably will change considerably by the time it's finalized.

Oh I have to disagree there. Historically speaking, RetroBit's clones have been consistently much higher quality in terms of performance than Hyperkin's clones. This is why I was skeptical of the Retorn4 announcement, but as time has gone on it seems as though the tables have turned and it's RetroBit who is playing catch up.

I don't see the RetroBit Triple System as a direct competitor to the Retron5. No HDMI and no emulation, this is gonna be another in the line of reverse engineered clones that use SD resolutions. Hyperkin hasn't said the price of the Retorn5 except "under $100" (which I personally find hard to believe) so there's no point in comparing the prices of either until they're finalized. The real comparison of the two won't be in the features they offer nor their price, but in the way they both preform. As I said, RetroBit's clones have a very high degree of accuracy and compatibility and are the king of reverse engineered hardware based clones, but this time Hyperkin is jumping ship and going with emulation. Since emulation has the theoretical ability to run everything perfectly, it *might* be better than RetroBit's new system. As I've said before, only time will tell.
    I'll be the first to admit if im wrong satoshi, I really hope they can make an awesome product, but I am very skeptical.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I don't have a problem with people being skeptical. hell, I'm skeptical too;

All I am saying is don't prejudge the Retron5 until it's actually released. I'm not championing it until I know for myself just how many of Hyperkin's grandiose claims ring true. I'll honestly be shocked if they sell it for less than $100 as they mentioned since past clones that do far far less sell for around $60-70, and RetroBit's new hardware clone console that doesn't do as much as the Retron5 is being priced at $89.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dr. BaconStein's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have a problem with people being skeptical. hell, I'm skeptical too;

All I am saying is don't prejudge the Retron5 until it's actually released. I'm not championing it until I know for myself just how many of Hyperkin's grandiose claims ring true. I'll honestly be shocked if they sell it for less than $100 as they mentioned since past clones that do far far less sell for around $60-70, and RetroBit's new hardware clone console that doesn't do as much as the Retron5 is being priced at $89.
    I would expect it to be somewhere around $85. While it can do a lot, it is still by nature a clone console. There are (low-end) Android emulation systems that have the same features for around that price. Since RetroN 5 is not a handheld and still primarily cart-based, using Hyperkin's proprietary OS, I don't think it will exceed the $100 mark.

It seems like Hyperkin is really trying to win both the collector market and the digital/emulation market with this console. If you look closely on the mock-up images, you'll notice there's a USB slot on the side, next to the controller ports: http://hyperkingames.tumblr.com/post/49398440981/

Most likely for memory sticks/external storage space. Pretty fun idea if you want to transfer memory from your cart to your other devices, almost like a Retrode-type deal. Since it's USB, that also means other fun/silly stuff like this

Last edited by Dr. BaconStein; 05-07-2013 at 09:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

If you look closely on the mock-up images, you'll notice there's a USB slot on the side, next to the controller ports. Most likely for memory sticks/external storage space.
    I doubt it. In their press conference, they were asked about the USB port and they said in effect, that it's only planned use is to be able to recharge the blutooth controller it comes with.

Of course, Hyperkin could possibly use it to hook up external storage drives for some reason, but not likely. your pop can usb charger thing would still work though, regardless. although I dunno why you'd want to hook up a pop can fridge to a console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there any way that they can make these multisystem clones without them looking like cheap pieces of crap?
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's NOT a dpad. It's a digital clickstick similar to the NeoGeo CDZ and NeoGeo Pocket. Hyperkin is likely going that way to appease SNK fans as well as for retro fighting games, shooters, etc. If it's done right, a clickstick is a thousand times better than a dpad. Only time will tell if Hyperkin gets it right, but giving them shit for trying is pointless. I COMMEND hyperkin for trying.
    I've never even heard of this, nor used those. Thanks for pointing it out. To get it right, you're describing something that looks like the usual d-pad, but "clicks" with each press? Sounds like it has microswitches inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Fixed.
    I'm "torn" over all these console remakes...ALL OVER AGAIN!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy View Post
    Is there any way that they can make these multisystem clones without them looking like cheap pieces of crap?
    You can't please everyone. With the prototype design of the Retron5 that was shown at PAX, I've read people posting both that it's ugly and others saying the same design looks absolutely fantastic. The Retrobit clone will be no different. Opinions will vary. Personally, I don't see any problem with either design, but I'm not too picky.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    I've never even heard of this, nor used those. Thanks for pointing it out. To get it right, you're describing something that looks like the usual d-pad, but "clicks" with each press? Sounds like it has microswitches inside.
    Yes, exactly. A clickstick is like a real arcade cabinet's eight way joystick in the size of an analog stick on a PS2/Xbox360 or what have you. A good clickstick is massively better than a dpad. This is why gaming on a NeoGeo Pocket is better than gaming on an absolute perfect emulator. A dpad is as poor a substitution as keyboard arrow keys are for a dpad. Hyperkin is of course in no means SNK though, so the mere announcement that their blutooth controller will use a clickstick isn't proof the concept will be awesome.

Years ago, short-lived clone maker Messiah released clickstick NES and SNES controllers for the NEX and SNES, and while not terrible, they weren't better than dpad controllers. I'll just leave it at saying Hyperkin has potential.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post

I'm "torn" over all these console remakes...ALL OVER AGAIN!
    What I hope is that this clickstick controller uses one of the three consoles' plug types instead of being wireless so it can be used on one of the original consoles as well and in effect, also the competing Retron 5. Then you'd a have a reason to get both.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    What I hope is that this clickstick controller uses one of the three consoles' plug types instead of being wireless so it can be used on one of the original consoles as well and in effect, also the competing Retron 5. Then you'd a have a reason to get both.
    Did you watch the press conference? The clickstick controller will be blutooth wireless. There's absolutely zero chance it will use the NES SNES or Genesis controller ports. The controller will be exclusively for the Retorn5, but I bet it might be possible to hack it to work with other blutooth ready devices as well, such as PCs and maybe the PS3. The original controller ports are really only there to throw a bone to retro gamers who insist NES gaming isn't NES gaming without using an NES controller, or the same with the SNES and Genesis/MegaDrive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can someone explain the appeal of these things to me?

If you want to play the game as it was intended, why not get a real console?
    It's not like they're replacing hard to find consoles like a turbo duo, or even a sega cd or 32x for that matter.
    If you want to play on your HDTV and/or consolidate your consoles into one for space reasons, isn't a PC with some emulators/steam a much better option?
    And if you're up in arms about emulation, these consoles really are no better. They're just more expensive than traditional PC emulation since you have to still plunk down 200 bucks for that copy of earthbound.

To me, these consoles seems like a product that has very little reason to exist...

Insert Coin (Level 0) Manga4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spleeze View Post
    Can someone explain the appeal of these things to me?

If you want to play the game as it was intended, why not get a real console?
    It's not like they're replacing hard to find consoles like a turbo duo, or even a sega cd or 32x for that matter.
    If you want to play on your HDTV and/or consolidate your consoles into one for space reasons, isn't a PC with some emulators/steam a much better option?
    And if you're up in arms about emulation, these consoles really are no better. They're just more expensive than traditional PC emulation since you have to still plunk down 200 bucks for that copy of earthbound.

To me, these consoles seems like a product that has very little reason to exist...
    A clone console like this is PERFECT for some people and just because it doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean they shouldn't exist. Here are some reasons people may use a console such as this.....

1. To consolidate wires and gain space. Since this system plays games from multiple systems you would have less wires and AC adapters laying around.

2. Some may want to use a system like this because they collect games and want to play them instead of just stare at them, while emulation is nothing more than files on a PC. Plus you can play this console on your old school TV or big screen TV while using the classic controllers you know and love without hogging the PC that someone else in the house may need to use.

3. Some people may not like junking up their PC with ROM's and emulators for personal reasons. IE: Their PC doubles as a work computer and they can't load personal stuff onto it, or they prefer to keep their system free of anything other than what needs to be there.

4. Original NES hardware is becoming less and less likely to stand the test of time. I've personally had 2 NES' with a new 72 pin connectors that have both failed, meanwhile my Generation NEX clone console by Play Messiah is still playing my NES games perfectly.

5. A system like the Retron 5 will offer save states for games that take forever to finish that people don't want to sit there and play a 4 hour game for 4 hours straight. Emulators do this too, but see reasons 2 and 3.

The reasons go on and on...........
    Blog - Latest entry 4/13/13: CLASSIC GAMING, Discovering new gems is the funnest part.
    Twitter Follow me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just don't get why anyone would buy one.

A clone console like this is PERFECT for some people and just because it doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean they shouldn't exist. Here are some reasons people may use a console such as this.....

1. To consolidate wires and gain space. Since this system plays games from multiple systems you would have less wires and AC adapters laying around.
    If space is an issue, getting a small PC will save space, as well as offer up netflix/web/etc that these don't do.
    Also, you can get away without carts with a PC, and after all, in this case you're looking to save space....

2. Some may want to use a system like this because they collect games and want to play them instead of just stare at them, while emulation is nothing more than files on a PC. Plus you can play this console on your old school TV or big screen TV while using the classic controllers you know and love without hogging the PC that someone else in the house may need to use.
    That's the thing, if you really collect old games don't you want to collect the old system too?
    If I just want to play the games a small PC + emulation will let you do that on an old TV, new TV or whatever.
    And you can purchase classic controllers with USB or make your own.

3. Some people may not like junking up their PC with ROM's and emulators for personal reasons. IE: Their PC doubles as a work computer and they can't load personal stuff onto it, or they prefer to keep their system free of anything other than what needs to be there.
    This is a silly reason. You can get a small PC that will emulate everything these consoles do for cheap on ebay and hook it up to your TV in your livingroom full time.

4. Original NES hardware is becoming less and less likely to stand the test of time. I've personally had 2 NES' with a new 72 pin connectors that have both failed, meanwhile my Generation NEX clone console by Play Messiah is still playing my NES games perfectly.
    I understand that things will break, but when it comes to collecting I think you'd want to collect the real thing.
    When it comes to playing the games, there are other options out there.
    Additionally, when your NES' failed I'm sure there was a way to fix them. Maybe it requires soldering and replacing something on the motherboard, but that's part of the fun of keeping your old stuff working. I hope you didn't throw out those NES'.

5. A system like the Retron 5 will offer save states for games that take forever to finish that people don't want to sit there and play a 4 hour game for 4 hours straight. Emulators do this too, but see reasons 2 and 3.
    Like you said, emulators do that too.

The reasons go on and on...........
    I see a lot of reasons but I don't see good ones. It sounds like you're grabbing for them.
    I'm not advocating sitting at your PC/laptop and using a keyboard to play an emulated game.
    I think that for the same cost as these clone consoles you can get yourself a nice used PC from ebay that will sit under your TV and let you emulate all that these things do. Saving you space/time/money and giving you things like web/netflix/dvd player that these clones don't even have.

If you want to collect, then collect the real thing. If you want to just play the games, then just play the games.

It doesn't make sense to me to go out and buy some fake clone nonsense, to play real games in.

DISCLAIMER: Sorry for the rant. This is my opinion. Copyright 2013.