Thread: Fun N' Games in Wayne NJ Closing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    God, if one more person recommends "Barcade" to me, I'm going to rip my hair out.

Good concept, abysmal execution. My personal dislike of the loud talking/louder music bar aesthetic aside, the machines are all in WAY too substandard condition for anybody who is serious about arcade games to enjoy.

They need to get an expert arcade repair tech on staff, repair/replace and TEST all of the buttons and joysticks on all of the machines and maintain them on a regular basis.

Also, they should seriously consider setting the games to free play and charging a flat cover for entry.
    Barcade is fine for what it is. It's not a place for video game enthusiasts to quietly and comfortably enjoy classic arcade games. It's loud, crowded, and people sometimes hog the machines. Once in a while a button won't work or a quarter will get eaten. In those cases, tell an employee and they'll refund your quarter. And yeah, dealing with quarters is a pain...BUT all of these "negatives" are authentic to the long lost arcade experience!

If you want a nicely lit, much more quiet, comfortable arcade experience with properly maintained cabinets *and* free play pricing, go to Yestercades in Red Bank, NJ. It is video game heaven (70+ arcades, roughly 20 pinball machines, and almost every home game console connected to TVs with shelves full of games):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/goodrob...7629917556084/

And the pinball equivalent is Silverball Museum Arcade in Asbury Park, NJ. Very impressive:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/goodrob...7629905598558/

I highly recommend both places!
    Last edited by Rob2600; 02-25-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Barcade is fine for what it is. It's not a place for video game enthusiasts to quietly and comfortably enjoy classic arcade games. It's loud, crowded, and people sometimes hog the machines. Once in a while a button won't work or a quarter will get eaten. In those cases, tell an employee and they'll refund your quarter. And yeah, dealing with quarters is a pain...BUT all of these "negatives" are authentic to the long lost arcade experience!

If you want a nicely lit, much more quiet, comfortable arcade experience with properly maintained cabinets *and* free play pricing, go to Yestercades in Red Bank, NJ. It is video game heaven (70+ arcades, roughly 20 pinball machines, and almost every home game console connected to TVs with shelves full of games):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/goodrob...7629917556084/

And the pinball equivalent is Silverball Museum Arcade in Asbury Park, NJ. Very impressive:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/goodrob...7629905598558/

I highly recommend both places!
    It's really the maintenance (or lack thereof) on the cabinets that kills me at Barcade. If the place was loud and crowded I wouldn't care if the games all worked well.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"