Thread: If The School Shooting Today Is Blamed or Linked To FPS Games.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only thing I understand is that 28 families are watching the Christmas tree with gifts for their sons and daughters under them and I don't ever want to be these poor folks. This is awfull. The fact that anyone gives a shit about their "video game rights" right now is trully awfull. The fact that anyone gives a shit about their "Gun rights" right now, is trully awefull. The fact is that most peolple know the old stand up comic line of "It's too soon"

Holy fuck, why is this a discussion?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Concerned gamers realize the game industry won the SCOTUS thing last year, right? Games are considered a protected form of speech just like books, film, and music. The likelihood any type of new, threatening legislation will be introduced as a result of this tragedy is low. I'd be more concerned if I were a law abiding gun owner at this point.

Regarding the OP kind of being "awfull," why can't we be concerned with our rights while at the same time being sorry about the senseless loss of life? The murders absolutely suck, but the world goes on and the people remaining have to continue living and looking after their interests. Nothing "awfull" about that.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    Regarding the OP kind of being "awfull," why can't we be concerned with our rights while at the same time being sorry about the senseless loss of life?
    I think many people, and I'd include myself in this, eventually have to shut something off emotionally exactly because of the thought of all those families facing Christmas without their children, spouses, etc. Like I said in one of my other posts, I have a seven year old first grader. Tonight I watched Emilie Parker's father speak to the media about his daughter on CNN. It was positively gut-wrenching. I was a senior in high school when Columbine happened, but I watched that with a much different perspective. It's too easy for me now to think of how awful it would be to face Christmas morning with no excited child bolting down to the tree to see what Santa brought. So yes, my brain shuts off that part and I start thinking about other things because it simply hits too close to home.

To quote Hermione, "Just because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have." I can feel deeply about one thing and also feel and think about other things simultaneously. And just because I happen to be discussing the one doesn't mean that emotion is stronger than the other. Believe me when I say gut-wrenching horror is much, MUCH higher on my emotional totem pole right now, especially when my daughter asks questions like, "Why would someone shoot a teacher?" or "What if someone like that man comes to my school and shoots my teacher?"

It's not that I'm worried or concerned from a legal perspective about losing any rights as a gamer. It's simply my desire not to be labeled in a certain way because of my hobby. And every brainless statement from some "expert" on CNN about it just perpetuates those stereotypes.