Thread: Who here hates on-line sellers sometimes?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    It's not hard to understand at all, it's simply that you don't understand how bidding really works on Ebay today. Contrary to your stereotypes about Ebay bidders, most of them aren't elderly people who just bid once at far less than they really are willing to pay and then either hope nobody else comes along and bids more or sits there thinking they will increase their bid if someone outbids them, only to get screwed in the last seconds because snipers like yourself come along. Admittedly, in the early days of Ebay there were bidders like that and sniping programs were all the rage. That hasn't been the case in a number of years.
    Just my option but it sounds like your stereotyping me I seem to have a pretty good understanding of how it works, sometimes as shown by the OP...

Quote Originally Posted by PROTOTYPE View Post
    .....WOW! that's how it exactly happen too. A 7 day auction it was sitting at 9.99 and 4.00 shipping, there was no traffic on the meter and I was the only bid. But I had a feeling there was someone else wanting this game too.The other games were really crap, So put a max bid of 29.00 on it.he hit it with 2 sec and won because I had no time to re-bid.. I really didn't know how much this was worth to me, looking back I should had put more. E-bay really is about luck or trying to get the seller to end the auction early, which I didn't try.
    I'm not saying it's the majority but it does happen and here is the proof. I'm also not saying if the OP sniped he would have out sniped this guy but the fact is this guy sniped and won this action for $1 more than the OP but the OP was willing to pay more just didn't have time. Personally I'd rather have the chance of something like this happening with sniping than putting a big bid down from the start and having people nickle and dime it to the top.

Especially in the video games categories, everyone is generally pretty young and tech savvy. Those people are well aware of snipers like yourself and protect themselves by bidding their maximum from the get go or sniping themselves in the last minute for whatever their maximum may be. As such, whether you bid your actual maximum the day the auction goes up or in the last five seconds has no impact. You can't predict the behavior or pocketbook of other bidders and the outcome is identical. Whoever bids more wins regardless of when they do it.
    I agree. (I consider myself the one in bold) I'll also agree that sniping doesn't translate well to big ticket items but for more mundane stuff it works quite often.

Edit:
    You can't predict the behavior or pocketbook of other bidders and the outcome is identical.
    I notices you say things like this but you can't consider it to work the other way? In other words other bidders will never bid the bare minimum and only raise only for nesesity? Sounds like a behavior you couldn't predict to me.
    Last edited by understatement; 04-25-2012 at 10:05 PM.
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV