Quote Originally Posted by BocoDragon View Post
Functionally though... a model 1 Genesis with a Model 2 Sega CD is actually the best setup. Model 1 with "high definition graphics" written on the top, with no TMSS copy protection screen at the beginning, has been proven to have the best sound quality. And while a model 1 Sega CD is pretty good, and looks nice with a model 1 Genesis, the drive door can wear out over time. Sega CD 2 is a more reliable machine (though if your model 1 Sega CD works fine.. more power to you!)

So there you go: Model 1 Genesis and Model 2 Sega CD. And unless you're modding for S-video or live in PAL land with RGB output, mount a 32X on top just for the better composite output quality.

For the record, the sound quality of most Genesis 2's are garbage.. and the video quality is poor on all but the most rare iteration of Genesis 2.

I love my model 1 Genesis/Model 2 Sega CD setup I completed just a few weeks ago.... but yeah I found the "extender" piece... not to mention the RF shielding plate which bolts under the Genesis.... I really like the look of the setup! And like I said, those in the know will tell you it's a quality setup where it counts: performance and AV quality.
Usually but some games react badly if you use a ram cart through a 32x if a model 1 genesis is used (Lunar II) and a few versions of the CD model 2 choke on other games (the one with a 240 laser didn't work well with Lunar 1). This is one of few systems where people should get more than one version.