Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Midwest Gaming Classic 2010 3/26-3/28 THIS WEEKEND!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

I'm getting ready to leave now. Should be there in about 2 hours.

I have 26ft full of awesome gaming goodness packed in the truck.

Pretzel (Level 4) Goodwill Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm here!....my booth is in the middle of the vending room...walk straight through the main room entrance and you'll run right into it. Stop by to pick up your badge!

Rich
    Tomorrow's Past is Yesterday's Future Today!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'm here too. damn this place is a maze. what's up with no wifi in the rooms. how gay it that.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I'm here too! Just put my Color Computer 2 in the museum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Meh. I was gonna go this year, but I just started Spring Break. I can't think of anything I need outside of an Astrocade AV out kit. If anyone has one of those after the event, let me know. Ralph Furley (RF connection) is killin' me.
    Denial - The Commodore VIC 20 Community
    www.sleepingelephant.com/denial

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Waiting to board plane, should be there in a couple hrs.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Rakden
    PSN
    Rakden_Krell
    Steam
    Rakden

Quote Originally Posted by udisi View Post
    i'm here too. damn this place is a maze. what's up with no wifi in the rooms. how gay it that.
    It's been rough trying to navigate this place with a stroller. I did con someone into letting me use the service elevator to get to the basement with said stroller. Sheraton might be bigger but damn it isn't sending me into a murder rage to try and navigate these thin halls. I didn't like it here when it was here a few years ago and it's not any better given the event has grown a lot.

I haven't bought anything yet because I haven't been able to squeeze into the vendor area very long to browse the warez. I hope they can find a more functional location next year (if they are set on not being at the Olympia anymore).

P.S. Baby wearing a Mushroom onesie, feel free to tell him hai.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NOPHIX
    PSN
    Nophix

Quote Originally Posted by macdude22 View Post
    It's been rough trying to navigate this place with a stroller. I did con someone into letting me use the service elevator to get to the basement with said stroller. Sheraton might be bigger but damn it isn't sending me into a murder rage to try and navigate these thin halls. I didn't like it here when it was here a few years ago and it's not any better given the event has grown a lot.

I haven't bought anything yet because I haven't been able to squeeze into the vendor area very long to browse the warez. I hope they can find a more functional location next year (if they are set on not being at the Olympia anymore).

P.S. Baby wearing a Mushroom onesie, feel free to tell him hai.
    I feel your pain! Our daycare fell through at the last minute, so we wound up bringing the kids with. My 5 year old could walk, but my 3 year old needed the stroller. It was a NIGHTMARE!! I also had to have my backpack on, and it took both my wife and myself to carry the stroller up and down steps.

Honestly, between the cramped hallways, absolutely poor accessibility, and the horrid hotel staff/catering, I'm thinking this was my one and only trip. Don't get me wrong, I met some awesome people, and there were quite a few great exhibits, but the venue destroyed what could have been an absolute blast even for the family. I mean, the catering staff couldn't even be bothered for buns that weren't bricks! And we ate early!

So, to the organizers, it was a great event, but if there is any possibility of someplace besides the Sheraton, it would make an immense improvement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I got some good stuff. I'll post in the finds thread when I get home.

Anyone else see the Colecovision project table? A bunch of prototypes of MSX-Coleco conversions.

The vendor hall was reaaally cramped. Things being spread out so much... I don't know. My room is right above the museum, but the vendor hall is on the other side of the hotel.

Insert Coin (Level 0) animesuperj's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back home, and had fun today. I agree with everyone that's said it's way to cramped there. It was really hard to move in the vendor hall, and just in general around all of the areas. Glad I went, but yeah, it really needs to be in an area with more space.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got back today and got tons of great stuff! I do agree that it was really cramped compared to last year and didn't seem to flow as well as it did last year..

Overall though, with everything I got, it was worth it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Just got back as well. Help out with Dave in his booth, traffic was down from last year and the vender hall was way smaller then last years. It had better "air" flow though. The location was good for restaurant choices compared to Oconomawac.

Overall a good show and it was nice to see everyone once again, I think I actually saw/met just about everyone that said they were coming.

Thanks Dave/Gac/Jen/etc for letting me help out, it was a good time.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

aaaaaaaaaaa
    Last edited by mycarsucks; 04-29-2022 at 04:17 PM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

vendors were upstairs down the hall from the consession stand.
    the layout was the worst I seen since it was there in 2004.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wifi wasn't free this year I had to pay 10.00 for saturday to get my stream working.
    accidently paid 5.00 an hour when I connected through efernet wire.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Last edited by mycarsucks; 04-29-2022 at 04:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Yeah, they were donated for the. I donated the Color Computer 2 and came back at the end of the day, someone got a ridiculously high score on Popcorn.

I really liked playing the PC-FX and Pippin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Iacovelli View Post
    wifi wasn't free this year I had to pay 10.00 for saturday to get my stream working.
    accidently paid 5.00 an hour when I connected through efernet wire.
    Yes but at least it worked in the rooms. Last year was such a bitch to get online.

The layout WAS terrible, if people are saying they couldnt find the vendor room thats not a good thing.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

I was helping out with the show, constantly pointing people in the correction direction, "yeah, down that hall, hang a left, it looks like a dead end but it's not, just keep going around and you'll see it."

I loved the show, but the layout was teh sux. Maybe they should move it to Appleton, I'm sure there's a place up here with the space
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I had a fun time at the show as did my little sister, who had never gone to anything like MGC before. I was able to find most of the stuff on my shopping list and my sis was able to get some good games to start her N64 collection.

One of the things that totally blew me away was that the Color Computer 3 in the museum had the emulated arcade ROM of Donkey Kong running on it. Being a CoCo nut, I read about this feat being accomplished but never had a chance to see it in action. As I was playing Popcorn on the CoCo 2 I heard the familiar sounds of DK. Once the controller was freed up on the CoCo 3 I reset Popcorn and switched sides. Wow...just amazing on what was done. I had to give it up as I was being challenged to play Pong.

I will have to chime in with the others and say that the layout was just bad. We too got lost looking for the vendor room. We didn't see the dots going past the Bistro so we went in the opposite direction and found the museum rooms then back tracked after we found a map. The vendor area was CRAMPED-more so than at the Olympia last year. Many of the vendors were forced to put their wares on the floor under their table, which was hard to see due to all the bodies standing sifting through stuff up top. When you did find a bin and knelt down, I found I got bumped a lot by passerby's. Someone mentioned strollers earlier in the thread: my first child is going to be born next month and if the walkways are going to be cramped like they were this year, I don't think I'll be going back.

I also didn't like how the museum was split amongst separate rooms. It was quite the experience last year when everything was in one room. Easier to find, flowed better and from a group standpoint was more "electric" as the crowd seemed more enthusiastic. The classic arcade feeling in a modern age. I do have one major complaint: if at all possible please don't put arcade machines in the hallways of a place like that. People playing the games created choke points which caused some bodily traffic back-ups.

My last issue would probably be the pinball room. Now, it could be that there were some forgotten settings but I was finding some of the pinballs were set to pay-to-play. I know my way around a pinball machine but I could not find a button to press to add credits on some machines and both my sis and I saw people popping quarters into the machines. And not every machine was like that. So was this just an oversight or did some of the machine owners want to get some cash for their games? Unless I missed a sign stating as such, people who pay the entrance fee usually expect to not have to pay to play games-that's what the entrance fee was. Never happened at past shows that I can recall. I could have found an MGC person to try and get some free plays but the crowd was huge, so I probably would have missed the opportunity to play whatever game I wanted to play.

Well, here's hoping for a better location or set up next year!