Thread: Saturn OutRun: The best version of the classic game because: 60FPS + remixed music?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Quote Originally Posted by fahlim003 View Post

On the main topic about OutRun in general. I could have sworn the Yu Suzuki's Game Works OutRun ran at 60fps. Pardon some colour issues and the fact they had to re-style the Testarossa (to avoid royalities/litigation) it plays pretty much the same I'd say.
    I've got my Dreamcast running Yu Suzuki Game Works and my Saturn running Sega Ages OutRun, I can switch back & forth between them with my switcher. The motion of OutRun in YSGW looks equal to OutRun Saturn *without* smooth mode. When I switch to Saturn OutRun's smooth mode, it's literally twice the framerate.

Yu Suzuki Game Works version of OutRun is the same as the Shenmue II version, with the differently styled Testarossa.

I've checked every re-release of the classic sprite-based OutRun, I have yet to find one that runs at 60FPS other than the Saturn releases--Not counting the polygonal Sega Ages / 3D Ages remake for PS2 which runs at 60FPS, but this is obviously not a port of the classic sprite-based OutRun from 1986.
    Last edited by parallaxscroll; 07-09-2009 at 01:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxscroll View Post
    Yu Suzuki Game Works version of OutRun is the same as the Shenmue II version, with the differently styled Testarossa.

I've checked every re-release of the classic sprite-based OutRun, I have yet to find one that runs at 60FPS other than the Saturn releases--Not counting the polygonal Sega Ages / 3D Ages remake for PS2 which runs at 60FPS, but this is obviously not a port of the classic sprite-based OutRun from 1986.
    Smooth mode you say? I'll need to examine this...

Edit: Good grief, you're right! No wonder I never knew about this Smooth as it's not accessible without the code:
    In Options, press A & C simultaneously while GAME MODE is highlighted, from there Smooth mode for both Japan and Overseas will be available to choose.
    It's terrific to know this option is available but sad as to why no other versions have it. Truly bizarre.
    Last edited by fahlim003; 07-09-2009 at 09:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

seeeeeee

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi every body !

There is dust on this thead, no ?

I've just little question about this...

1) Are you sure Out Run from Sega ages (with Out run, Afterburner...) on european Saturn doesn't run in 60 fps ?
    There is no smooth mode, but on the screen, it seems really good...

2) I've a european Saturn with Sega Ages. I play Out Run.
    I bought a St-Key to run japanese game. I bought Out Run jap version (not arrived yet).
    Will i see a difference ?

3)Here, smooth mode doesn't want to say better graphic (like in emulator, you know, "pixel smoothing"), but fastest on the screen ?

Thx for you answer (if i have one a day !!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

60FPS does not make a game better unless the game was designed for it. I am also fairly confident that all '80s sprite scaling games topped at 30fps or below.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    60FPS does not make a game better unless the game was designed for it. I am also fairly confident that all '80s sprite scaling games topped at 30fps or below.
    Hi and Thx to you.

Everywhere i see it's the better version of Outrun because 60fps...

My european version looks perfect.

I bought japanese release, but i don't understand really what the difference wiil be...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slylecoco View Post
    Hi and Thx to you.

Everywhere i see it's the better version of Outrun because 60fps...

My european version looks perfect.

I bought japanese release, but i don't understand really what the difference wiil be...
    I am only a gamer because of Space Harrier and After Burner in the Arcades. When they came out on 32X I thought they were perfect ports. I still do.

I love playing them on my US Sega Ages disk or in Shenmue and Shenmue II, but the enhanced framerates are just that. But then, I actually prefer playing Outrun on SMS and Genesis, so what do I know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

60FPS does not make a game better unless the game was designed for it.
    OutRun is one of the few super-scaler games by Sega that didn't run at 60fps (another being Enduro Racer) and while it's still a great game at the normal <60fps the Smooth mode on Saturn blows the original away. I think it's fair to say they intended to have OutRun run at 60 but for whatever reason it wasn't acheived. The Saturn version with Smoothing is the best version around, bar-none.

I am also fairly confident that all '80s sprite scaling games topped at 30fps or below.
    This is plain crazy. Pardon OutRun and Enduro Racer nearly all other Space Harrier & OutRun hardware games ran at a blistering 60fps, and that's just talking about Sega.

OutRun hardware:
    Super Hang-On 1987 - a little slow
    Turbo OutRun 1989

Space Harrier hardware:
    Space Harrier 1985 - definitely not 30fps, not even close
    Hang-On 1985
    Enduro Racer 1986 - 30 for sure

X Board hardware:
    After Burner 2 1987 - Final Takeoff
    Super Monaco GP 1989 - nuff said
    Last edited by fahlim003; 02-15-2011 at 05:51 PM.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fahlim003 View Post
    This is plain crazy. Pardon OutRun and Enduro Racer nearly all other Space Harrier & OutRun hardware games ran at a blistering 60fps, and that's just talking about Sega.

OutRun hardware:
    Super Hang-On 1987 - a little slow
    Turbo OutRun 1989

Space Harrier hardware:
    Space Harrier 1985 - definitely not 30fps, not even close
    Hang-On 1985
    Enduro Racer 1986 - 30 for sure

X Board hardware:
    After Burner 2 1987 - Final Takeoff
    Super Monaco GP 1989 - nuff said
    I am really not trying to be a jerk about this. There isn't a frame advance on those youtube videos, and they are running on MAME not real hardware. I have asked in various forums where MAME emulator people were chatting and nobody has tested the real hardware for max framerate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

60FPS does not make a game better unless the game was designed for it.
    I can remember having a similar conversation in the late 90's on the now defunct Dreamcast Technical Pages Forum. I also remember when I unlocked the 60fps mode on my Sega Ages copy of Outrun.

It's a treat, no doubt about it! Jaw-dropping back in the day. But since the 60fps makes the game seem to run much slower in pace (not frame rate), it's a trade-off. It makes the game easier too.

I prefer the original 30fps. the Saturn version is my favorite version regardless of the 60fps mode (I can't remember if it is called 'smooth mode' but maybe it is). Outrun's resolution is more a good fit for Saturn than on the newer systems like DC (Shenmue version) and Outrun2 on Xbox. On these newer systems, it is more obvious that Outrun is dated for some reason. Fits like a glove when seeing & hearing the game running on the Saturn. I hope you all are understanding what I'm trying to convey!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On a big tv (107 cm for example),

Old game "pixel" a lot..

My Out Run is beautiful, but a bit too big.

And i can't resize the screen as i'd like...

Damn, must i play on a 55 cm/70cm tv to have a good render ?...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cafeman View Post
    It's a treat, no doubt about it! Jaw-dropping back in the day. But since the 60fps makes the game seem to run much slower in pace (not frame rate), it's a trade-off. It makes the game easier too.
    Agreed, the sense of speed takes a hit but in general it looks far better. I don't mind original 30fps either myself, but having upped framerate is a definite improvement. I also don't think it's significantly easier, only marginally but then again the Saturn port in general is quite good as it has very little input delay when compared to MAME.

With respect to my comparison video on youtube it seems the quality is nerfed so it doesn't show accurately how much changes. I uploaded the video in proper quality here if anyone is interested:http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RMDP356Q
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cafeman View Post
    I can remember having a similar conversation in the late 90's on the now defunct Dreamcast Technical Pages Forum. I also remember when I unlocked the 60fps mode on my Sega Ages copy of Outrun.

I am a fan of 60FPS, no doubt about it. The Dreamcast and Virtua Fighter 2 on Saturn sold me on it being "better" than lower framerates. Actually, Sonic Adventure 1 + 2 exemplify the problem 60FPS causes.

Sonic Adventure 1 is sub 30FPS and while it has a lot of precision in the controls it doesn't require pin point accuracy from the player to complete the game. Sonic Adventure 2 is sold 60FPS and has entire levels involving jumping from rails smaller than Sonic's feet. Both games are excellent, but the incredible precision allowed for in Sonic 2 basically required level design adjustments at a minimum.

By comparison I don't see anything in the gameplay of sprite scaler games that requires 60FPS sprite scaling. I also don't remember seeing anything that "smooth" in a game until Virtua Fighter 2.