Insert Coin (Level 0) gamesboro's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Beastech

This is my first post!

I think the problem is that some people don't know you need to hold down the mode button while you are turning on the system. People have said hold it at start up but I think some are confused.

Also, Ms. Pac ABSOLUTELY has to have the mode button held down to play it with the 6 button. I reviewed this at Sega-16 years ago and I had to do this. Once it boots up with the controller in 3 button mode it works just fine.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I am aware of at least 2 different versions of Ms. Pac on Genesis. One of them has yellow letters on top of the cart, the other has pink letters. Don't know if this makes a difference, also don't know if this applies to other regions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gamesboro View Post

Also, Ms. Pac ABSOLUTELY has to have the mode button held down to play it with the 6 button. I reviewed this at Sega-16 years ago and I had to do this. Once it boots up with the controller in 3 button mode it works just fine.
    I didn't know that. No wonder this game was almost impossible to control. I just figured I didn't have the knack for it and put it away to never play it again.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can add another game that you need to hold the mode button on start up for:

Out of This World (or at least the Sega CD Heart of the Alien version, never tested the Genesis version)

The game is actually pretty playable if you don't hold it on startup, but you will notice the controls are somewhat strange.. It's been a few years so I forget the specifics. I just recall playing maybe about a quarter of the way through the game before I figured out something was truly amiss. heh Maybe I got stuck at a point because I was unable to perform a certain move that was required there IIRC?

OOTW 2 on the very same Heart of the Alien disc does not have the issue, so no mode button required on startup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Really? I've never heard of that. That game came out a good 2 years after the 6-button controller, so they really should've been able to test it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.