Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SEGA SAMMY CONSUMER HARDWARE ROADMAP - New SEGA Console Coming in 2010?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    Each new generation is less of a jump in graphics than the previous to the previous.
    In absolute terms I would disagree; compare the differences in poly counts between the 360 to the Xbox, and from the Xbox to the Dreamcast or Saturn (your choice).

But clearly in terms of what the average schmo can obsess over, it doesn't seem as big a leap as going from the NES to the Genesis (or the Neo Geo if you want to be a REAL HOT DOG!), which I guess puts you in the Wii camp

Market saturation might not be such an issue with Microsoft and Sony busily duking it out in the stratosphere during a recession. Just as netbooks are the one bright spot in the computer hardware industry (according to Intel and agreed with by many), low-cost entertainment computers may be a growth industry in these years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    In absolute terms I would disagree; compare the differences in poly counts between the 360 to the Xbox, and from the Xbox to the Dreamcast or Saturn (your choice).

But clearly in terms of what the average schmo can obsess over, it doesn't seem as big a leap as going from the NES to the Genesis (or the Neo Geo if you want to be a REAL HOT DOG!), which I guess puts you in the Wii camp .
    Best example of the evident slowing of graphic jumps would be this

Oddysey > A2600 > Nintendo Entertainment System > Sega Genesis > PlayStation > PlayStation 2 > PS360

From Oddysey to the PlayStation, each step was pretty big. From white cubes to multicolored cubes with lots of movement to Sprites and smoothly moving effects and animations to a greater degree of that to 3D polygon games. Then it started just updating the 3D graphics and with each generation, the realism gets closer to real life and eventually it will slow to a crawl in terms of Graphic capability diffferentiation. Once you get to a certain point, improvements become minute and the ability to improve is hampered by a lack of reason or direction in potential improvement. In other words - Once something becomes photorealistic you cant improve on it at all really.

Personally, I believe that once we reach that point in realism we will start looking towards augmented and virtual reality for the home. I hope that will be greatly realised someday soon.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    If Sega completely cuts off making games for the big three, and their 2010 Sammy comes with a new Shenmue, Alex Kidd, Fantasy Zone, or Phantasy Star, then this thing could sell. I will get this on day one and be willing to wait in the freezing cold.
    So you are saying it is a feasable idea that Sega could get its act together and release a new console alongside many, many games that many, many people have cried for since the death of the Dreamcast? In 1 year?
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Best example of the evident slowing of graphic jumps would be this

Oddysey > A2600 > Nintendo Entertainment System > Sega Genesis > PlayStation > PlayStation 2 > PS360
    We're obviously using different criteria. You're using the bullet-point checklist features, and I'm going by how much the vastly increased poly counts and special effects improve the immersion for me - at least if it's running a consistent 30 FPS (cough Left 4 Dead 360).

Now, I'm not saying you're wrong, as that's a very reasonable way of doing it and for years the method that reigned supreme in comparing consoles, but when I compare the new screens with those of last generation's stuff, the sense of improvement is every bit as great. No doubt I'll feel the same sense of wonder in the future. Obviously, as your post points towards, and the example of the Wii suggests, people aren't interested in simple graphical fidelity anymore; they're interested in more meaningful and varied interactions, too.

Yep, graphicswhore. Reason I've got a Radeon HD 4870x2 (although that doesn't explain why I haven't used it thus far..that would be the budding conservationist in me).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Yep, graphicswhore.
    Oh please. I have every current generation console and I spend all of my game time playing Nintendo Entertainment System and Genesis games. I find more enjoyment our of Galaga and Asteroids than I do Grand Theft Auto IV

And believe me, I mean ALL game time...

I have had my PS3 for 10 months and have put less than an hour of game time into it. My Wii has not gotten regular use since last June and the same goes for my 360.

I believed the graphical approach to the argument was the best approach because it was one of the better points as to why a Sega console would not sway a multitude of people now.
    Last edited by Sonicwolf; 05-16-2009 at 03:14 AM.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Think of it this way.

- New Sega console for $200 or less
    - Brand new Sega games that put the emphasis on ARCADE gameplay
    - Public's desire for something new (No plans for a new 360 & PS3 in 2010)
    - Many diehard Sega fans just waiting to put down money
    - The apocalypse coming in 2012, end of the world.

Yeah, I could see this happening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

As many of you know, I am a huge Sega Fan, but lets face it....Sega these days is in no shape financially to launch a system, nor would they want to. The market has a system for every price point, and it would not be feasable. I would love to see it, but honestly...I am fine with the Dreamcast being the last system, and what a fine system it was.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know I am not alone in being a die hard sega fan, but I did want to throw some points out there that many people might have missed:

It is incredibly possible that newer games are being made for this system, and have been, but have been done pretty secretly. I mean, a good example is punch out on the wii. Somebody said that we don't even have a full character list and the game is coming out in a few days.

It is incredibly possible that the newer games have been in the works for awhile. Hell, wishful thinking again with some true facts, they have a bunch of the stuff done for Shenmue 3. They could have easily decided to finish it.

What was one of the selling points of the Wii (1 of the selling points)? Price

Now for $200, Sega could easily push out a console. When it comes to DLC, Sega has enough of a library to push out as many games as needed for the next 50 years. This is the same with WiiWare or whatever the Wii one is called.

You better believe that if this was true, I would be in line 3 days in advance with a sleeping bag during a blizzard to get the new Sega console on release day.

Enough games for a launch in a year? If it is true, they could already have games ready to go.

As for us Sega peeps holding out since 2001, I went with 360, but that was because when I wanted a current gen, my options were short.

I don't hate the other companies, I just like Sega was fucking more.

Sega could easily just make a nice consolized version of the atomiswave or something and release that. Sega has been doing that shit for years. Even if the home came out before the arcade, the compatibility there has been around (ST-V/Saturn, Naomi/DC, etc).

Honestly, if Sega played their cards right and brought out a more arcade style system, they could attract more people to arcades themselves.

Sure, over the years some of the ip's of Sega have been falling, but that does not mean for one second that Sega has died. They have enough IP's to keep them satisfied for years.

Think of a current gen version of vectorman. Wow! That would be so fucking awesome. That is just one example.

With the Sonic Unleashed DLC that has come out, Sega knows that people enjoyed the 2.5D Sonic way more than the werehog. Which is why the DLC is coming out with more and more daytime levels.

Honestly, if Sega did it right, it would be so fucking awesome. They have enough games and IP's that they have not even attempted current gen on. Ecco is another good one. Shit, the DC version of Ecco was amazing. I really enjoyed the Xbox version of Panzer Dragoon (Panzer Dragoon Orta). I could go on and on, but there are so many flagship characters even outside of sonic, that Sega could easily pull this off.

Will it happen? I have some serious doubts it will really happen.
    Do I hope and pray that it will happen? Every single day since 2001

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

I must apologise to those who I was belligerent to earlier. I am pretty adamant that old things made new are ruined. This decade lives off the copying and ruining of the franchises, ideas and styles of the golden years of society (1950s to 1980s). I also feel that it wouldnt matter how awesome a new Sega console could be. The Dreamcast was spectacular with excellent and creative games but that didnt save it from the power of the Sony fanbase.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really can't see Sega releasing a new home system. What I would like is something similar to Examu's Ex-Board arcade system. VGA/DVI/HDMI output, USB for controllers, 110/240v PSU and we're good to go.

If enough decent fighting and driving games were announced that were system exclusive, never to see a PS3/360 port, I'd be more than happy to splash the cash.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I'm not expecting a new system, but I would wait in line to get one the day it comes out. Even if it's not a consumer system, it could be a new arcade hardware.

We shall see. Sega would break a lot of contracts if they made their own systems again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

This decade lives off the copying and ruining of the franchises, ideas and styles of the golden years of society (1950s to 1980s).
    Wow, you just summed up what I've been feeling for a long time now. So true.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Sega kick started the next decade with a new console? Man, we're all dreaming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I must apologise to those who I was belligerent to earlier. I am pretty adamant that old things made new are ruined. This decade lives off the copying and ruining of the franchises, ideas and styles of the golden years of society (1950s to 1980s). I also feel that it wouldnt matter how awesome a new Sega console could be. The Dreamcast was spectacular with excellent and creative games but that didnt save it from the power of the Sony fanbase.
    The Sony fanbase is not what it was in 1999, 2000, or 2001. Their main rival now could be Nintendo. It could be 1992 all over again.

Strawberry (Level 2) JunkTheMagicDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shaftinator84

you guys must be high if you think:

a) sega's classic ip's would be relevant in today's market (alex kidd, seriously? nobody besides us remembers that)

b) sega has anyone with half a brain left in their employ who could make a fun modern game from their ip's (sonic anyone?)

c) sega would blow the hundreds of millions of dollars it takes to design and market a fourth system when they've been having a rocky road of it just being a multiplat dev/pub

if you guys want a current gen sega machine, buy an xbox.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JunkTheMagicDragon View Post
    if you guys want a current gen sega machine, buy an xbox.
    No thanks, I much prefer the PS3 and Wii.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

If there ever was a new Sega I would buy it for sure.

I always buy every system, but having the one that less people have would give me something to show my friends "hey look at this cool thing, did you know it existed?"

I really don't know who this guy is, giving that kind of information, but I would welcome Apple and Sega to both jump into the console market even if both of those companies are just being rumored about. The news implies that Apple may also be interested in making a console if they go through in acquiring EA Games.

And besides, with Neo Geo gone Sega could fill that arcade home system market for a lower price than that system did.

I wonder what Sega would call a system if they knew it was going to be their final? Maybe the Sega Omega just because Omega means final and it rhymes? But yeah that name was my idea for the ultimate Sega Clone back when they stopped the Dreamcast.

I was like if they're going out of hardware they should have made a Sega that plays all their past games in one system. A cartridge / CD combo where the CD part can run Dreamast, Saturn and Sega CD and the cartridge part being like the Neptune so it could run both Genesis and 32X games without a special cord and have a second cartridge port for SMS games. In the front could be card slots for SMS cards and Game Gear carts.

I would like to see somebody make a clone that can run CD based games, but a whole new console would be even more exciting just because it would be something brand new. Either a clone like I mentioned or a new system would excite me.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

EDIT: Part 2 was asked to not be posted on that website by Sega Sammy legal department. I figured I would spread the wealth of knowledge for the people that did not check out that site

To assume even on a rumor that Sega would mess it up is kinda biased.

The DC was an awesome system, and Sega didn't make many mistakes with that system.

I don't know if you guys know this, but Sega does have 1 or 2 more IP's than Sonic, maybe a few more.

To simply say, "Well, not many people liked the new Sonic games, and Sonic Team has not been able to pump out a huge success" does not mean that the entire company is going to fall.

I can go over multiple IP's from multiple other companies that have been done wrong, but I will not. I will also not say that those companies are doomed to fail.

With that mindset, the company will get no love and will fail.

Under that same notion of classic IP's: The newer Tony Hawk's are turning more and more into crappy rehashes of the older games with spiffier graphics. Well, I guess that company is doomed to fail.

Wow, that was a big statement to make.

That is what I see when I see posts like, "Well Sonic Team can't handle a game, so screw Sega and whatever they push out". It is one team. One. Sonic Team is not the entire company. Sonic Team does not control every single IP that Sega has either.

Sure, Sega has under taken many other games like a bunch of crappy movie based games, but hey, do we need to discuss the other companies that push out crap upon crap? I can if you want.

Shall we talk about the systems that allow so many crap games onto their systems, that we have to check up with websites and shit before we even attempt to start shipping for some systems.

It was already said by others that Sega is still pushing out very good games. Very good games. Negating those to make a point is not all that great. Negating all of the remakes of classic IP's that have turned out extremely well to make a point is also not all that great.

I can sit here, again, and tell you why Sonic 06 was an awesome game. I won't, because there is a search within the forums for a reason. Sonic Unleashed was also a very fun game. I seriously enjoyed it.

Yes, I may be a Sega fanboy, so I will help you out.

Sonic games that SegaAges did not like:
    Sonic 3D Blast
    Sonic R
    Sonic Riders (difficulty was way too hard even on easy)
    Sonic 3
    Sonic 2 on Game Gear
    Sonic Drift 2

Dude, a next gen Ecco. Seriously. That would be so awesome. They did it on the DC and look how it turned out.

Sega has many, many good IP's that they have not dusted off in years, but they are also coming out with some awesome new ones as well like Mad World.

Sega always has a good formula with the Virtua Tennis IP. Same with their Virtua Fighter IP. VF5 is fucking awesome.

I haven't played the sequel even though I own it, but Condemned 1 was pretty awesome, I haven't played 2, but if it is anything like 1, then that is also an awesome newer IP.

Now at this point, the main reason why I doubt Sega will have a new system by 2010 is that it would definately be a make or break for Sega to dump all that money into a new system.

Think about it: with how established the current 3 systems are, unless Sega is planning to do something truly next gen, they would need to stop making games for other systems. Why? Would you buy another system for the same exact games that you can get for a 360 or ps3 when you already have a ncie library of games for that system. It would be like the same shit as in the early 80's when there were too many systems and games out.

I may be a Sega fanboy, but I am not completely blind. Pulling out of making games for other systems at this point would be dumb. If they put all of their eggs in one basket and that is a current gen system, then they would have to base it all on success, and if it failed, that would be a blow that Sega might have bigger troubles recovering from than they did with the DC.

Now if they go for next gen, they could continue with their software department in the current gen, while getting the new games on their next gen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

I don't trust the article listed by the original poster since the author made simple mistakes like mixing up words like 'were' with 'where'. It's a pipe dream. Someone really wanted to stir up shit so they wrote an article about a new Sega console. It sounds like fan fiction to me.

Strawberry (Level 2) JunkTheMagicDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shaftinator84

re: SegaAges

madworld and condemned were published, not developed by sega. just sayin'...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ⅰ'm so sick of Sega fanboys trying to defend the idea of them making a system a 'good' thing.

Mind you, I am NOT a Sony fan, but Sega and their 3rd parties involved DO NOT SUPPORT the systems.

You buy a 32X, Saturn, Sega CD, heck, even Dreamcast, there were never a lot of games and just a lot of broken promises. I'm not saying the DC was a bad system, but I see Microsoft and Sony and Nintendo haters all over the place but at least you get your money's worth on games and they support the systems into the ground, even if they lose money.

I like Sega's games, but you have to be a fool to defend them if you really look back at what they have done in history for consumers....