Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top 5 Hardest RPGs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    But yea. Fuck Wizardry IV. Have fun reading the wikipedia article.
    Seriously, did anyone actually finish this game back in the day? It makes The Tower of Druaga sound like a kid's game.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've read of a few people who supposedly beat it. Never done it myself though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ssjlance View Post
    Chrono Trigger. By far.
    Sqare has always put insanely difficult optional bosses in thier games (Ruby Weapon, Ozma) but as far as the core games go... they really are pretty easy.

Square's RPGs have become the equivalent of "Radio Friendly". They appeal to the general masses and are scared that if their too hard, gamers will turn away and sales will plummet. So they give us games that have amazing production values, but take very little dedication to beat.

When I beat Final Fantasy 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 I felt okay. I was like "Well that was cool. I finally beat it." and then put it on the self and never touched most of them again.

When I beat Phantasy Star IV it was a Revelation. I was stuck at the end for like a week or two and could NOT beat Dark Force. When I finally managed, I was jumping up and down and and screaming, "HOLY SH!T I finally beat Dark Force!!! I can't believe it!!! There is now way I just did that!"

PS IV certainly did not have the production values of FF6 or Chrono Trigger, but it was a huge challenge and when I beat it I really felt I accomplished something.
    Last edited by Wraith Storm; 08-10-2008 at 03:02 PM.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

No Megami Tensei in this thread? It's great getting an instant game over if your main character dies, even while the rest of your party is in perfect condition. Oh and he's open to instant death spells.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SaGa Frontier II here. The gameplay system was very complicated for me, with very few chances to grind. And that last tactical battle against the fake Gustave took forever for me to beat. Thanks to the internet, I managed to beat the game, with at least most of the hard work done by myself, including that tactical battle.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmm....

Playing Sacred all the way through Nobium...patience makes it hard...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    Sqare has always put insanely difficult optional bosses in thier games (Ruby Weapon, Ozma) but as far as the core games go... they really are pretty easy.

Square's RPGs have become the equivalent of "Radio Friendly". They appeal to the general masses and are scared that if their too hard, gamers will turn away and sales will plummet. So they give us games that have amazing production values, but take very little dedication to beat.

When I beat Final Fantasy 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 I felt okay. I was like "Well that was cool. I finally beat it." and then put it on the self and never touched most of them again.

When I beat Phantasy Star IV it was a Revelation. I was stuck at the end for like a week or two and could NOT beat Dark Force. When I finally managed, I was jumping up and down and and screaming, "HOLY SH!T I finally beat Dark Force!!! I can't believe it!!! There is now way I just did that!"

PS IV certainly did not have the production values of FF6 or Chrono Trigger, but it was a huge challenge and when I beat it I really felt I accomplished something.
    Hear hear.

PS IV actually had quite a high production value (it's like the most beautiful genesis game out there, and defaintely the best RPG).

Even greater accomplishment? Beating PS II. Even with the playstation 2 remake that game is a demon.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

7th Saga and Dragon Warrior 2 and 3.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Phantasy Star II's difficulty is misunderstood. The game came with a detailed hint book. You're supposed to play it with the book. It says on the cover, "Your adventure would be very difficult without this guide." So, naturally, Phantasy Star II is very difficult without the guide.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Volcanon View Post
    Hear hear.

PS IV actually had quite a high production value (it's like the most beautiful genesis game out there, and defaintely the best RPG).
    Yeah, your absolutely right. Phantasy Star IV really did have great production values and looked great (Especially with all the anime slides). It was such a stylish and effective way to tell a story.

I wasn't trying to knock on PS IV. I was just saying that by “comparison” PS IV doesn't have the big budget look of Chrono Trigger and doesn't throw around all the special effects and eye candy that FF6 did.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ha, I'd say PS4 had nearly, if not equal special effects and graphics, especially the monster graphics, which were all animated (FF6 wasn't) and all large (most FF6 monsters were fairly small, chrono trigger too). The only minus really was that the explosions sounded like bad flatulence, but that was the fault of the genesis's sound chip more than anything.

Edit: not to mention that it came out four months before FF6 and more than a year before Chrono Trigger (in Japan, at least).