Thread: The complete Sega Saturn fullset, 1150 titles!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Pondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Adol View Post
    Unfortunately,this soon will be the end of it
    I have to make "new pics" of my PC Engine Hucard/CD/SCD/ACD fullset,with all spine cards since my pics are 3 years old and were missing like 75 spine cards.

I do have to take pics of my Sega Master System fullset, and Famicom Disk System fullset.
    After that...i don't have anymore fullsets
    Maybe Famicom one day,since i own FDS/SFC/N64/DD64 fullset..?
    Maybe Gamecube (Only 300 games in Japan)
    But i guess that will be it for Fullsets.I'm up to 24-25,i think i've been more far than anyone else, and i'm happy with it.
    I've lurked for quite some time, and registered just for the sake of commenting here because this kind of collecting and Adol have been on my mind.

Adol, what have you accomplished in life besides amassing large quantities of video games? Seriously. If your house burned down, and all your games went with it, what would you have to show for it? Are you physically fit? Do you excel in any kinds of physical activities? Do you have a significant other? Have you strived for higher education? Do you excel at any kind of mental challenges? Do you have actual creative outlets where YOU have produced works that others have enjoyed? Have you done anything worthwhile of significance for people outside of your family and social group? Showing pictures of rooms full of games on a forum or creating lists of personal possessions does not count.

If a person dedicated their life to simply completing sets of video games, and sacrificed the development of other areas of their life, pretty much anyone could make it happen. In my opinion, the $2000 a month you live off of is pretty paltry for being 28 and indicates you're either still going to college or stuck in a low level job. All those days spent scouring the internet and stores, all those hours organizing a bunch of crap on shelves, and muddling over an imperfection on the box of a game, thinking, "Oh no! Now I have to find a replacement for this one!" When you look back on your life, are your happiest memories going to be the acquisition of a bunch of games over the course of ten years of it, or will there be lots of memories of friends, loved ones, accomplishments that genuinely challenged you on intellectual and physical levels and things more fulfilling than just hoarding a bunch of crap?

You are not what you own. Shopping is not creating. People may be impressed by all the stuff you've filled your house with, but that doesn't make you, as a person, special. It just makes what you have special. People would appreciate the collection the same no matter who owned it, and I respect any artist whose work I enjoy a lot more than someone who managed to just buy all of the games for a system.

Go ahead. Make assumptions about the kind of person I am based on these assumptions I'm making about you. But after reading thread after thread where you seem to believe that owning sets of games makes you a better person and somehow superior to others, I have a lot more to go on than you do.

I may be completely wrong about the kind of person you are. You might be a complete renaissance man successful in every area of his life. Even if you are, I'll find it really interesting to find out.
    Last edited by StaticSky; 06-20-2008 at 05:00 AM.