Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EGM changes its 15+ year rating system

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    People love numbers and/or grades on reviews. That's why they do it. I'm sure if it were up to the reviewers themselves, they wouldn't assign them.
    Pretty much, yeah. The "professional" reviewers I've talked to say the same thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    i personally like the current review system more so than the paragraph style boxes from before. this way i actually get to know a little about the game. EGM isnt going anywhere, sorry to break it to you.
    Ziff Davis (1Up, EGM) file for bankruptcy recently...we will see how long that stretches them. I think that the magazine has lost its fanbase and direction. I was a HUGE fan and subscriber of the mag for a long time(issue 9). I wish them luck, but do not see the new ratings thing fixing the mags problems.

personally I think the UK mags kick our countries asses!
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    Ziff Davis (1Up, EGM) file for bankruptcy recently...we will see how long that stretches them. I think that the magazine has lost its fanbase and direction. I was a HUGE fan and subscriber of the mag for a long time(issue 9). I wish them luck, but do not see the new ratings thing fixing the mags problems.

personally I think the UK mags kick our countries asses!

Yes, UK mags have always been superior, IMO. Bigger in size, off-the-wall humor and some really grade-A coverage over the years spanning multiple UK mags. Of course, some were average, but a few pubs really stood out.

As for EGM, it is a sinking ship. A new rating system won't change much, if anything. You mentioned lack of direction, and I'll throw in lack of soul. IMO, what helped made EGM from inception to about '94 so good was the "soul" each issue carried. To me seeing the latest EGM in my mailbox, or at the grocery store, was like opening a present on Christmas morning. They gave me a similar sense of joy.

True, I have a bias in that I don't care for today's current games, but the writing quality straight up leave no lasting imprint. The layouts are fugly and the mag feels like a cheap, very light paperweight.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well I don't understand why they would complicate things with +/- if they're gonna use A-F... it's a magazine, not a course curriculum... and if you think about it, it really doesn't make any sense at all to use A-F for game ratings...

A = 91% - 100%
    B = 81% - 90%
    C = 71% - 80%
    D = 61% - 70%
    F = 0% - 60%

so what they're saying by using a system like this is that any game that isn't more than 10% better than the average game is a failure, if you consider 50% to be average... and when using a percentage system, it should be safe to assume that 50% is average, as that would be the halfway point... just as 5 is average on a 1-10 scale, because 5 is the halfway point, then it makes sense that 50% is average on a percentage scale for the same reason, and the A-F grading system has always been based on a percentage scale... DUH!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    well I don't understand why they would complicate things with +/- if they're gonna use A-F... it's a magazine, not a course curriculum... and if you think about it, it really doesn't make any sense at all to use A-F for game ratings...
    I still think A-F is the only system that makes sense (other than maybe a simple 5 star rating). The reason is demonstrated by your post. Some people consider 70% - or 7/10 - "average." Yet there are a lot of sites that use the whole scale and therefore 5/10 is average (like the old EGM system). For those places 50% is average, not terrible. Using a letter grade removes all ambiguity. C means average. There's no question. Everyone has a good idea what a "C" grade means. Whereas a 7/10 - who knows? It depends on the reviewer, it depends on the site, and it depends on the reader's perception of the number. People complain all the time about games that "only" got a 7/10, when the mag/site itself lists 7/10 as "good." There's too much ambiguity and subjectivity in numeric grades - letter grades are immediately clear.

Also, I still think the text of the review is most important. That's why I don't like review system that have too much granularity. 5 stars, or A-F is plenty. One person's 73% will be another's 74%. That's kind of ridiculous. But the text of the review will tell me that regardless what the score is, I might really enjoy or dislike the game.
    Last edited by BydoEmpire; 03-07-2008 at 12:59 PM.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!