Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A horizontal Wii stand made right...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default A horizontal Wii stand made right...

As much as people just love to vertically stand their game consoles nowadays, I am just not one of them. I am just a believer that any disc drive that reads in a vertical position is prone to failure sooner than a horizontal position...gravity just does not play nicely with drives that read discs in a vertical motion. Or at least that is my thought behind it as I have always had issues with PC drives that were in the case vertically as opposed to horizontally. Other than that, I like the look of my consoles "laying down" so to speak

Now that I have my reasoning out of the way, I really wanted to get my Wii placed horizontally, but still be protected by some sort of stand. I did some searching, and found this online:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/790/790446p1.html

Sounds good, nice review score. Ok, so let me find it. Damn, after hours of searching, nothing. Some websites even say that it has been discontinued. I called Pelican (or PDP now) and even the customer service guy didn't know what the story was....didn't even know if they were still producing it. Heh. So, I decided to just call around my area. I called a gamestop, and the guy said they didn't had it but he thought he saw it at a Software ETC locally. I called them and they said they had it.

I went there and was presented with the Mad Katz Stacker. Not quite what I was looking for. They said they didn't have it, but on the way out I saw ONE behind some stuff on a shelf in the back! Woohoo!

I just set it up. Man, it is great. The plastic is the same color as the Wii of course, and even the same sort of smooth, mirror-like plastic. It is built solid, and fits the Wii like a glove. Much attention to detail is here, with Wii foot notches and the like built in. There is a spot of the sensor bar in front (although I am not using this), a nice compartment for a Wii remotre and Nunchuk, full access to the GC joypad/memory doors. When the unit is in the stand, it looks like one solid unit....like the Wii was just meant to look this way.

Needless to say, very happy with the purchase. It looks so good in my entertainment center. Best accessory purchase I made for my beloved Wii thus far.

Just figured I'd let you guys and gals in on a great third party product (that is Nintendo approved too). Those of you that are like me and actually like their consoles horizontally (all four of us!), this stand is a must buy.

EDIT: If you want to see what it looks like with the top closed, hit Pelican's site and go to Wii on the bottom:

http://www.pelicanperformance.com/index.html
    Last edited by zektor; 06-25-2007 at 06:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

That looks really nice, although I'd prefer it if it didn't say Wii on the front.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by studvicious View Post
    That looks really nice, although I'd prefer it if it didn't say Wii on the front.
    I dunno, I kind of like that Makes up for the fact that the logo on the actual console is sideways when in the horizontal position.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I eventually get a Wii, I'll be picking up one of those.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I'm waiting for the Wii to come in black, so I hope Pelican comes out with a black version!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pony0ne

Is that a PSWII?
    gamertag: pony0ne
    Wii friend: 6437 2281 7665 7241
    http://youtube.com/patrolskies - Patrol The Skies

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Does this make the GC door work properly then? WHY didn't they give it a tiny bit more clearance...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    Does this make the GC door work properly then? WHY didn't they give it a tiny bit more clearance...
    What do you mean? The GC doors (both of them) are completely unobstructed.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

a normal wii laying in the horizontal position will be slightly tilted upward when you open the door unless you remove it, it's a stupid design. They even tell you about it in the manual.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Which is why the doors on the side/top of my Wii have been removed and put into the box my Wii came in. I keep a Cube controller and memory card permanently plugged into my Wii at all times for Cube and VC game play. I have my Wii just laying horizontal on its little feet so it has plenty of space. I also really like the look of that Pelican stand...but it wouldn't fit in the space where I have my Wii under my TV. With a PS2 and Saturn next to it...there just isn't enough room...heh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    a normal wii laying in the horizontal position will be slightly tilted upward when you open the door unless you remove it, it's a stupid design. They even tell you about it in the manual.
    Yep, I know about that, BUT, the stand has a small space between where the system lays and the doors, allowing them to open perfectly while laying in the stand It's hard to explain, but like I said earlier, they REALLY thought out the design on this one

ON another note, I popped the sensor bar into it yesterday and it works perfectly (has to select the sensor bar as being below the TV in settings) while in there. It just rocks.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zektor View Post
    As much as people just love to vertically stand their game consoles nowadays, I am just not one of them. I am just a believer that any disc drive that reads in a vertical position is prone to failure sooner than a horizontal position...gravity just does not play nicely with drives that read discs in a vertical motion. Or at least that is my thought behind it as I have always had issues with PC drives that were in the case vertically as opposed to horizontally. Other than that, I like the look of my consoles "laying down" so to speak

Completely with you on that, and for all the same reasons. I did have my 360 vertical for awhile due to space considerations, but I layed it down once I permanently retired the original Xbox. Now I have the 360 laying horizontal with the Wii horizontal on top of it. No interest in the that horizontal stand though-- way too organized for my messy gaming tastes. Plus, I don't get spending $20 on something that basically amounts to an organizer for your gear. It's not like a vertical stand where it's actually serving the purpose of protecting the system from falling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Anyone know where this can be bought now? I can't find it anywhere, passed on one in a GS recently since I planned to get it later and it was gone when I returned, then GS's product page for it disappeared before I could order. Can't find it anywhere else either besides two used examples on Ebay.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It should still be available at GameStop, it's not discontinued.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Everything I've found online seems to indicate it has in favor of the following model.

http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/802571b.jpg

And the product page was dropped from GS's site, and after an hour of searching online, I've only located some used copies. Not even mentioned anymore at Pelican's own site it seems.

Hopefully your right and they've recieved new stock the next time I stop by my local GS.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pony0ne

Last time I was in a gamestop (a few days ago) they had some for $19.99. I want to get one because it makes it look noice. Very noice.
    gamertag: pony0ne
    Wii friend: 6437 2281 7665 7241
    http://youtube.com/patrolskies - Patrol The Skies

Semi Noob Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geezuzkane
    PSN
    Geezuzkhrist119
    Steam
    Geezuzkane

has anyone found one anywhere online?
    Last edited by geezuzkhrist119; 11-21-2009 at 06:49 PM.
    Twitter - GEEZUZKANE
    Nintendo: NESx3, SNES, N64x2, NGCx2, WIIx2, GB, GBP, GBCx2, GBASPx2, NDSLx2,
    Sega: SMS, GENx3, SATx2, DCx3
    Sony: PS1, PS1 moddedx2, PS1 Jap, PS1 Slim, PS2x2, PS2 Slim, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, PS3 Slim
    Others: XBOXx2, XBOX w/ hard mod, XBOX w/xbmc and 80gb HDD, X360, X360 Slim MW3 Edition, TG16, INTV, COLV, 2600 JR-broken, Wonderswanx2

Semi Noob Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geezuzkane
    PSN
    Geezuzkhrist119
    Steam
    Geezuzkane

reviving old thread...

i cant even find one on ebay
    need help locating one
    Twitter - GEEZUZKANE
    Nintendo: NESx3, SNES, N64x2, NGCx2, WIIx2, GB, GBP, GBCx2, GBASPx2, NDSLx2,
    Sega: SMS, GENx3, SATx2, DCx3
    Sony: PS1, PS1 moddedx2, PS1 Jap, PS1 Slim, PS2x2, PS2 Slim, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, PS3 Slim
    Others: XBOXx2, XBOX w/ hard mod, XBOX w/xbmc and 80gb HDD, X360, X360 Slim MW3 Edition, TG16, INTV, COLV, 2600 JR-broken, Wonderswanx2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This?
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

For anyone that wants one, I'd order one from those Amazon sellers soon before they disappear. Priced decently as well.

Despite what a DP user states in this thread, these things had already been discontinued when I asked about them in this thread nearly two years ago. Was hard to locate one then, and it's just gotten harder the past 22 months or so.

They're long out of production now and anything left is just old stock that hasn't been sold yet.