Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2 Dreamcast variant questions

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is the other version completely black, like on both the inside and outside? The ones on ebay only show a stock photo so I'd have to ask the seller what the insert looks like.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by DOL_001 View Post
    Is the other version completely black, like on both the inside and outside? The ones on ebay only show a stock photo so I'd have to ask the seller what the insert looks like.
    No, its just got the Black spine part where it should be just like your first picture, except its back isn't upside down when its like that.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok thanks

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Hey, my copy of Tennis 2K2 is JUST LIKE THAT! I thought all versions of the game were like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Bumping this up due to the fresh finds of a new Marvel Vs Capcom variant with Thor vs Spidey for the left image and not the Wolvie vs Akuma of the first release. Also added the Speed Devils 'clean' cover variant.
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    Bumping this up due to the fresh finds of a new Marvel Vs Capcom variant with Thor vs Spidey for the left image and not the Wolvie vs Akuma of the first release. Also added the Speed Devils 'clean' cover variant.
    Could you explain further? Are these in the standard releases, or in the All Stars releases? Also, what do you mean by "Speed Devils Clean"?

Also, I have never found an NFL Blitz 2000 that is not a stickered game. A bunch of them look like they are, but upon further inspection they aren't. I once upon a time offered a decent amount of money for one, and no one ever came forward with it. I strongly believe that it doesn't exist.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Could you explain further? Are these in the standard releases, or in the All Stars releases? Also, what do you mean by "Speed Devils Clean"?

The clean Speed Devils is an oddball variant where there is a full cover sized sticker over the manual cover. In the sticker, the devil's face is removed. It's just the game's name in a generic yellow shape.

The MvC variant is a fix for the original printing error. The first has a PSX SF vs M image on the left, the new one has a proper MvC image in it's place. Both are the white label, regular versions.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post

The clean Speed Devils is an oddball variant where there is a full cover sized sticker over the manual cover. In the sticker, the devil's face is removed. It's just the game's name in a generic yellow shape.

The MvC variant is a fix for the original printing error. The first has a PSX SF vs M image on the left, the new one has a proper MvC image in it's place. Both are the white label, regular versions.

How much does the MVC printing error one go for?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SP4C3FL34
    PSN
    ArrowShockwave

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Rockies View Post
    How much does the MVC printing error one go for?
    Since it was just discovered, it is probably unknown at this time.
    Be Attitude For Gains...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Probably nothing - it was the launch print, more than likely no more than the other. It would also be in more quantity than the fix.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SP4C3FL34
    PSN
    ArrowShockwave

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
    Probably nothing - it was the launch print, more than likely no more than the other. It would also be in more quantity than the fix.
    Why would you think it to be in greater quantity than the reprint? I purchased the game new not even two months after launch and got the reprint. So I'd be willing to wager that the original is quite a bit more difficult to find than the reprint. That's my thought at least.
    Be Attitude For Gains...

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tylerwillis View Post
    I had always assumed that this rumor was because of the difference in using heatpipes between the US and Jap versions... it's the reason that I tracked down a US kiosk model... it would be very interesting to see it confirmed officially or with pics.
    US retails also used Heat pipes my system has an 08/99 date code and heatpipes, There are at least 3 major hardware revisions, the heatpipe version seems to be the first, the second lacks this and the third also lacks the GD-ROM daughter board. The version 2 seems to be far more common than the others put together,

V1 http://www.gamesx.com/dreamcast/index2.htm Contrary to what these guys say THIS WAS RELEASED IN THE US
    V2 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-Internals.jpg The common model
    V3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwGzK...eature=related Note the unusual GD-ROM drive.
    Can someone confirm my suspicions that the third model is the non MIL-CD model, preferably by checking the Sakura Taisen version.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto View Post
    Here's one for you.

Does anyone remember the so called liquid cooled dreamcasts. The story was the so called chips ran so hot in the initial production they had to be liquid cooled. Well I remember when I bought my system on dreamcast launch day and mine wasn't that version. I hunted around until I found one at another store I was told you could tell by looking in the fan vent the non liquid cooled was plastic and I think the so called liquid cooled was metal. I finally snaged the metal but never opened up a dreamcast to confirm.

Seeing this thread brought back that crazy memory of one mans quest to get hot technology. Funny thing is the non liquid cooled was the second or so revision that was possibly a better dreamcast.

Truth or rumor I have to investigate.
    Not a rumour. I still have the old EGM where they detailed the Dreamcast insides. However Sega changed the design for the uS

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can you point me to some scans from that article or tell me which issue number so I can compare? All alleged liquid cooled units seem to match the the V1 Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan View Post

Also, I have never found an NFL Blitz 2000 that is not a stickered game. A bunch of them look like they are, but upon further inspection they aren't. I once upon a time offered a decent amount of money for one, and no one ever came forward with it. I strongly believe that it doesn't exist.

Don't know what to tell you. I've got one. I've had it since I made my initial tracking post back in 07. It's not stickered, its printed. I don't know how to easily show you that it is printed, but I'm here to tell you that it is.
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bumping this up due to the fresh finds of a new Marvel Vs Capcom variant with Thor vs Spidey for the left image and not the Wolvie vs Akuma of the first release.
    I just checked both my copies and they are the usual Wolverine Vs Akuma image. I'm going to have to keep my eyes opened for the variant version.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't know what to tell you. I've got one. I've had it since I made my initial tracking post back in 07. It's not stickered, its printed. I don't know how to easily show you that it is printed, but I'm here to tell you that it is.
    Is it sealed? The stickers were made of an extremely thin material that often looks like it is actually printed, although it is not. If it isn't sealed, try taking it out and running a nail over it. It should kind of 'bump' as it does so. I was certain that there was a non-stickered release of this too (mine is sealed and sure doesn't look stickered), but when I got in about 30 of them brand new for the GOAT Store a while back, I noticed that the Hot! New! thing moved just slightly around on the manual.

If you've really got a non-stickered one, I have gone through literally hundreds of these looking for any that were not stickered, and never found one. Keep that thing safe, and if you ever decide to sell it I'll be waiting. I've probably spent 40+ hours attempting to track one of these down besides just looking at the ones that filter through the GOAT Store's hands, and I have never seen one.
    Dan Loosen
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I just checked both my copies and they are the usual Wolverine Vs Akuma image. I'm going to have to keep my eyes opened for the variant version.
    The variant version doesn't appear to be very rare. Out of the five on eBay right now that I found easily which shows their backs, four are the Thor version, and only one is the Wolverine version.

Can someone explain this more to me too? I have now seen them both, but I don't understand what "error" was made with the Thor version of the game?
    Dan Loosen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bumping this up due to the fresh finds of a new Marvel Vs Capcom variant with Thor vs Spidey for the left image
    After closer inspection it appears thats not Spider-Man, it's Venom.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Quote Originally Posted by Tokimemofan View Post
    Can you point me to some scans from that article or tell me which issue number so I can compare? All alleged liquid cooled units seem to match the the V1 Link
    Oops not EGM. Next Generation Magazine issue #50

Life!? ... What console is that on?