Quote Originally Posted by jcalder8 View Post
I'm totally out of the loop and thread jacking but I need to know, does this mean you don't need a modchip for the cube?
If you have a US or Japanese Cube, to "mod" it to allow you to play games from the other region (not PAL though), all it took was a couple of bits of wire, solder on a specific bit of the circuit board and a two way switch. That's all it took to switch between BIOS versions within the hardware. I believe some people spotted a dev company with a similar setup at one computer show prelaunch and took notes. The fact the board had the words US and JPN in large letters next to the switch kinda gave the game away

And lo and behold, companies such as LikSang were offering modded Cubes pretty much right out of the door when the machine launched. You just need a different memory card for the other region as the Cube actually formats the card to the language needed (either English or Japanese) for the saves. This is also how you can only play games such as Donkey Konga and Mr Driller DrillLand Japanese versions and be able to save properly.

If someone does get a mod chip out there, I'll just use the Wii I have currently for online and get a modded one to play any region stuff offline.