Thread: Caution for Omaha Collectors

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Caution for Omaha Collectors

I know a few of you are located in Omaha as I am, and I thought I would give you a quick heads up. If you live in Omaha and collect, you have heard of Gamers. Their prices are mid-range, and they have a couple things overpriced, but a decent place if you are shopping for xbox, ps2, and cube games.

Now I need to inform you of 2 stories that happened to me and my friend, and I need you guys to remember that it was not a teenager that said this, but yet older guys (2 different guys), both looking like they were in there upper 20's, lower 30's.

Scenario 1: My former roommate went into Gamers to take in his xbox since he got a 360 and had no need for his xbox (and never played it). When he got there, he told me that a guy who looked like he was in his older 20's went to help him. When my friend went to take in the console, of course, they went to test it. They put spiderman 2 in his xbox. My roommate told me that they would only take his xbox for parts since it took to long for his xbox to load the city in spiderman 2 and that his laser lens was going bad. This could have been the case until I went to his house with scarface. Just for fun I saw how long it would take for the city to load on my xbox, which it didn't take long at all, and my xbox works just fine. I took the same game over to his house and popped it in and poof, it loaded up just as fast.

Now this could be just one guy not having a clue what he was talking about, which happens everywhere, but my friend is the type of guy that does not speak up. Strange enough, he took his xbox to gamestop which is literally right across the street and they accepted his xbox without a doubt. This could still be random coincidence or they could have been right, but let me tell you about what happened to me when I went it:

Scenario 2: Ok, so my older brother got me a $20 gift certificate to Gamers. I wanted to use that 20 plus probably another 10 to get another guitar controller since they usually go for about 30-40 new. In between classes last monday I went in there. I went over to where they had some $60 wireless guitar controllers. I know that there are a buttload of different kinds of guitar controllers, so I asked a guy (in his late 20's), if they had any other guitar controllers (and it was at that time that I noticed that had a pallette full of these in the back), and what he told me was a little wierd. He told me that RedOctane never released a controller separate from the game itself. He said that the only controller available outside of buying the game itself as a bundle was the wireless controller that they sold.

Now I am the type of person that will speak up in a situation like this. I said at least 3 or 4 times, "That is not right". Apparently, he took that as "That is messed up. Why is this the only controller out?" But then I had to inform him that what he was saying was not right. Don't judge me, I was nice to the guy, I was shouting or making a scene or anything, I was calm and cool with the dude, but I did bust him out pretty good. I went on for at least 5-10 minutes telling him the truth and that the only reason why I was in there shopping for a guitar controller was because of the gift certificate that I had. The BestBuy near me actually was selling guitar controllers last time I checked. And I informed him that I could not only get a RedOctane brand guitar controller, but I could get one new from online for 30-40 right now. It was at that point that his manager glanced over and was watching our conversation. He watched me tell this guy for an expanded period of time that he shouldn't simply try to inform of false information if, in fact, he had no clue and that he should simply not say anything at all if he had no clue.

I figured I would throw out a couple stories for you other Omaha collectors to only go to Gamers for what you want, and to not listen to all of the people there since they can sound very convincing about things they have no clue about. If you don't know what you are looking for, by all means, listen to yourself before you listen to the people there. Just a heads up for you guys.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is Gamers store number one, across from the new target, right? Right off Dodge? They seem to have a really high turnover rate at that store. I wouldn't fault Gamers as much as I would blame the individual idiots that work there. I go to Gamers a lot, and I have certain guys that work there who I know. Like anyplace, some people know their stuff, and some are just pretending. I think you just got a few people pretending. Gamers has always been really fair with me. Just be warry of the occasional idiot.

p.s. all us nebraskans should have a Video Game get together some time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

This post has the most amount of typing vs. the least amount of payoff.

So they have a few idiots working there. CAUTION!!!1111!!1
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pony0ne

Welcome to any store.

If a store has employees, it's going to have a few bad eggs.
    gamertag: pony0ne
    Wii friend: 6437 2281 7665 7241
    http://youtube.com/patrolskies - Patrol The Skies

Strawberry (Level 2) xtremegamer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XHEAT99

Maybe on the Xbox it did take a few extra seconds to load up, you never know. He may have been just trying to cover his own rear, he didn't want to be the guy who took a broken Xbox in on trade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

In general, I would never take the word of somebody who takes your console to the back to "test" it. That strikes me as a little suspicious. Console testing should always be done in front of the potential seller so everybody sees the same thing.

There's a second store out in Papillion, right? I'd be curious to see if anybody gets the same song-and-dance numbers at that store. That would be a good indicator as to whether you're dealing with one bad employee at the bigger store or if this is some sort of screwy new customer strategies.

In general I've always liked Gamers and make a point of visiting both Omaha locations whenever I'm in Nebraska. My last opportunity was right after Christmas and I spent a small fortune at the Dodge store on Virtual Boy stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I honestly didn't know they had any vb stuff at the store.

It was the one on dodge. I think i probably should have said that since I typed a novel for it, hahaha