---NEWS UPDATE---

One of our forum's prestigeous game resellers, goatdan, seems to have "cracked the code" on how to determine if a Genesis Model 1 has the copyright screen at power up. It has nothing to do with the looks, what ports it has or even serial numbers.

It's the FCC ID code that gets placed on all electronic devices. Who woulda thunk it?

On the underside of the Genesis you should see a label that has "FCC" on it. The following are the two types of IDs that are on the Model 1's:

FJ846EUSASEGA: a system that has this ID does NOT have the copyright screen.
FJ8USASEGA: a system that has this ID DOES HAVE the copyright screen.

So far this method of identification has been confirmed with my Model 1 machines, Evil E's and goatdan's (of course) but if there are any discrepancies please don't hesitate to post.

Thanks to everyone who participated and, provided there aren't any snafus, this could be entered into the FAQ books.

------
Okay, I'm sure some of you know I've been on a crusade to find the original model 1 Genesis that does not have the "lock out" chip for non-licensed games (like Populous, Starflight, Onslaught, etc.). I tried using a Game Genie to circumvent the chip but some games (namely my favorite game Populous) may not work with the Genie.

Well, I was finally able to get my hands on one (thanks to The Goat Store) but I know there are others out there that would like to get an original model one but not want to have to play game system roulette when trying to find one. Out of many eBay sellers I've emailed over time on this I'd say 80% had no idea what I was talking about.

I'd like to ask the Genesis collector community for help in figuring out the physical differences between the chipped and non-chipped Model 1's and to create a lift of serial numbesr or at least a range of what are hopefully all non-chipped Model 1 Genesis systems.

Here's my idea of going through with this. Any comments/ideas/smart remarks are always welcome:

1. Check to see if your Model 1 system has the "Sega License" message that pops up on the screen whenever you power up with a cartridge. If it doesn't have that message, move on to....

2. Describe the looks of the console. What connection ports does it have (not including the controller ports and CD expansion port of course)? When I got my non-chipped system I compared it to my other Model 1 that does have the message and the non-chipped has a serial-like 9 pin port.

I also noticed my non chipped has the "High-Definition Graphics" wording above the cartridge slot and the Genesis logo is the black lettering which is surrounded by light grey filled border followed by the white octagonal border. So it might be good to list obvious markings/lettering.

3. List the serial number.

So to start out, here's my Genny Model 1 info:

Physical Attributes:
-9 Pin Ext. port on back of system
-is noticably heavier than my security-chipped Model 1
-Has the words "High Definition Graphics" above the cartridge slot
-Genesis logo: Has a grey octagonal shape on top of the white octagonal border. Chipped model 1 is an all white octagonal shape.
Serial #: 39W28536