I'm not so sure about Sony's so called "Cell" processor, that they are going to use in the PS3.

I'm not any kind of engineer or anything, and I don't really know much about it, but for some reason, I keep thinking back to all the hype about the so called "emotion engine".

Is this another case of Sony once again trying to re-invent the wheel?

I must say that I used to be a huge fan of Sony. I bought a PS1 the day it came out, on September 9th, 1995. The PS1 was an awesome piece of technology and one of the most logically desinged systems ever. It really was an absolute achievement in the world of video games.

Sure right now the PS1 kinda looks like a big pixelly mess, but back in 1995 and 1996 and even 1997, it was totally awesome.

So when Sony started first talking about the PS2 and the "emotion engine" I was totally excited and all jacked up about it.

In fact, I remember having to sleep in front of Target the day it came out to be able to get one on launch day. But after playing with my new PS2 for a few months, I came to the realization that it was one of the most poorly designed systems in history. To me the games didn't seem that much better than Dreamcast games. Not only that, but Dreamcast games were in 480p and looked super crystal clear on my progressive scan TV, while the PS2 was jaggie city.

I just really feel that the PS2 was a very bad design by the engineers at Sony. So much hype about the "emotion engine" and all that, and then this is the crap that we ended up getting.

Well, after awhile very talented developers finally learned how to squeeze every bit of power out of the PS2, but it was more in spite of the horrible design of the PS2. They had to find a way to make good looking games on the PS2 and they eventually did. But still, we all know that from a pure power standpoint the PS2 pales in comparison to the XBOX and GameCube.

So anyways, that brings me to this so called "Cell" processor. I really don't understand it, and I don't know much about it, but I have a bad feeling about it. To me it sounds like once again, Sony has to do things "their" way and try to be different and bold and everything. They had the "emotion engine" and now they have this "Cell".

Why can't they just make a normal CPU and GPU for their system and make sure that it's powerfull in the "real world" and not in theory.

Maybe I will be proven totally wrong and the "Cell" will just destroy everything in it's path.

I don't know.

I guess we will find out in 2006.