Quote Originally Posted by Cafeman View Post
I can remember having a similar conversation in the late 90's on the now defunct Dreamcast Technical Pages Forum. I also remember when I unlocked the 60fps mode on my Sega Ages copy of Outrun.

It's a treat, no doubt about it! Jaw-dropping back in the day. But since the 60fps makes the game seem to run much slower in pace (not frame rate), it's a trade-off. It makes the game easier too.

I am a fan of 60FPS, no doubt about it. The Dreamcast and Virtua Fighter 2 on Saturn sold me on it being "better" than lower framerates. Actually, Sonic Adventure 1 + 2 exemplify the problem 60FPS causes.

Sonic Adventure 1 is sub 30FPS and while it has a lot of precision in the controls it doesn't require pin point accuracy from the player to complete the game. Sonic Adventure 2 is sold 60FPS and has entire levels involving jumping from rails smaller than Sonic's feet. Both games are excellent, but the incredible precision allowed for in Sonic 2 basically required level design adjustments at a minimum.

By comparison I don't see anything in the gameplay of sprite scaler games that requires 60FPS sprite scaling. I also don't remember seeing anything that "smooth" in a game until Virtua Fighter 2.