The GTA character art often doesn't match the actual character models, so I wouldn't read much into it.
Actual update from Game Informer:
The latest news from good ol' GI is actually some really good stuff. And by stuff I mean junk. OK, here are the details on Grand Theft Auto IV that have been revealed:
* The protagonist's name is Niko Bellic, which we believe is Croatian or Serbian.
* Multiplayer is set to be announced.
* You can use a cellphone to call your contacts.
* Apparently there are no planes because there is only one city in the game.
* You have a lot of choice over what you want to do. You still have to take orders from people during missions, but you can also choose how you want to spend your time, e.g "I want to hang out with him, or her... I want to go see this guy 'cause he always has something to do..."
* The story unfolds in a number of different ways. R* is giving people more freedom, more choice and more sense of control over their destiny - the structure of the storyline is quite different to previous games.
* The demo which Game Informer played was for the Xbox 360 version of the game.
Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.
Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com
Some of these bullet points are rather curious. What will a (presumably) nonlinear story do to those people who want to 100% everything?
...and what the heck does "multiplayer is set to be announced" mean? That they said it's there but they disavow its existence even though they said it's there? Or it's not implemented and the rep said it'll be going in but not to say anything?
Some of these things make me far more worried for the future of this game as something I'd actually want to, you know, buy.
I haven't gotten my GI yet, but I read in another forum that only the 360 will have downloadable content.
Also, as to why multiplayer hasn't been confirmed yet - apparently the map will be as big as San Andreas, but just one city. Anyone who's played the multiplayer stuff on LCS or VCS know what a pain it can be to find your opponents, and those cities are going to be like 1/10th the size of this new one.
The next 3 months are going to be complete torture, but the feeling I get when ripping into a game like this after months of waiting is unmatched by anything other than sex itself. I think the date will stick this time, and with rumors of Mercenaries 2 being delayed AGAIN I want something to do until that comes out.
I am really looking forward to GTA IV, hope it isn't too glitchy.
And on a side note "sandbox games" seems like a strange term to me, I kinda prefer "free-roaming".
Sweet, cant wait. Hopefully it will be better than GTA San Andreas. I wonder if there will be a collectors edition?
The Collectors Edition looks pretty cool to me, better than the Legendary Edition for Halo 3..
The lockbox seems wierd though.
Just found this link explaining a GTAIV & PS3 bundle pack that plans to be released (In Europe anyhow)
I'm planning on buying a console for this game, I still don't know what I am going to do. Also, I stumbled across this piece of news...
Oo ar me hartys. thar be Fools gold a foot on that ther bay.
Chet: It's futuristic, but that's a crate.
Has anyone seen the in-game footage? Rockstar has a tight leash on Youtube right now, so that place is pretty much a bust. However, Gametrailers.com had some incredible (off-screen) videos yesterday. This game is going to be legendary. It's the first game I've ever considered waiting in line to pick up at midnight.
The reviews so far are indicating this could be the best video game ever made. I love pre-release hyperbole...then again, from what I've seen so far, it's very possible. It blows my mind that they could make an open world game look this good.
Is the limited edition really going to be limited or will it be another Halo Legendary which is still on the shelves around here?
Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!