Thread: Just Bought an Intellivision

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Default Just Bought an Intellivision

Long time reader, first time poster. As a matter of fact, I've been reading here for so long that I feel that I already know some of you. The NWC gold cart "how much?" threads are always fun. As are the Anthony1 posts and replies. Quite an active group here.

Anyway, the point of this post is to say I'm not much of a gamer really, but I'm a collector at heart. I just ordered this:

http://tinyurl.com/ypzl4b

I'm interested on anyone's take on it - as in, did I get taken. I asked myself, "Self, what you pay to restore an Inty you already had?" And the answer was, "Oh, probably about $200 or so." So, I have no regrets, assuming it works.

That's what we had when I was growing up (I'm 33), so it's all about the nostalgia for me. And if anyone here has tried playing Intellivision on an emulator, you know how difficult and not fun it is.

And I don't mind buying this on eBay at all. I'm not a scavenger anyway, but even so, I can't see ever finding one in the wild in this presumed condition.

So, your thoughts? Did I get taken to the cleaners?
    Last edited by dgdgagdae; 02-04-2007 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Title

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Depends on how much you'd pay for a system like that. Most of the games, even complete in the box, are only worth a couple of bucks. Don't know why, but the Inty market (and the Atari 2600 market) has nearly hit rock-bottom lately, game-wise. But this is good news for anyone starting a collection! Systems are worth more, especially with working controllers.

In any case, congratulations on starting your Intellivision collection! And if you ever see a complete Body Slam Super Pro Wrestling, buy it!

Insert Coin (Level 0) omega_squid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    osquid

Default Intellivision II

I won the Sears Version of the Intellivision on the 26th of December - a serious steal, and it works and look great!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=280063562432

It came with 27 games in the box and only cost me $39 + $10 shipping (Seller gave me a great shipping rate, couldn't thank him enough!)

You found a good one too, albiet a little pricey, but the Intellivision is one of my favorite systems now, along with the virtual boy and the Colecovision.

-omega_squid
    Like free games? Then visit my site - www.osquid.com

DP Feedback | eBay Feedback

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i guess its a good deal, but if you dont plan on being a serious collector, i would resell or trade your sealed games. they are worth a lot of money to collectors, and you can probably find unsealed or loose versions fairly cheap.

as far as emus go, the official Intellivision Lives! for PC/Mac is a first class emulator. you also get a good benefit of using your number pad on your keyboard to accurately emulate the keypad of the original intellivision controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Wow, nice find Omega. Of course, the big problems on these are the controllers, so I'm glad yours work fine. I remember wearing ours out when I was younger.

I helped bid this new Inty II with ECS to over $300. Sniped with 1 second left. I hate eBay. http://tinyurl.com/22czjr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

And, on the outside chance that anyone's envious, the same guy has another package posted with the same hardware and 3 more games. http://tinyurl.com/2drvv8 And this is the third package I've seen from him like this. Where's he getting all this stuff? Old systems and Intellivoices to restore may be easy to come by, but this many complete MIB games? He sells Atari packages like this too, although the games aren't boxed like this.
    Last edited by dgdgagdae; 02-04-2007 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Can't Spell

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am honestly curious if you folks actually play these games?

I also grew up during this era and have fond memories of Yars Revenge and Atlantis, but I wouldn't last more than 5 minutes playing this system before throwing it back in the box.

Insert Coin (Level 0) omega_squid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    osquid

Default Depends on the game

Some of my intelli-games are fun, like lock n chase and NFL Football. Others, like the Intellivision port of Donkry Kong, are hilarious! DK on the intellivision has to have the worst graphics of any of its ports!

I guess that guy must've gotten a good deal on warehouse stock or something...it is really odd how many of those CIB Intellivision Games and Accessories he is selling...oh well, wish it was me!
    Like free games? Then visit my site - www.osquid.com

DP Feedback | eBay Feedback

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post

I also grew up during this era and have fond memories of Yars Revenge and Atlantis, but I wouldn't last more than 5 minutes playing this system before throwing it back in the box.
    Before I sold my Intellivision off, I had a great time for months with Shark! Shark!, Tron Deadly Discs, Demon Attack, Beauty & The Beast, Burgertime, Microsurgeon, Diner, Night Stalker, Pinball, Motocross, and Lock & Chase.

Damn it, now I want one again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

I love my Inty. I think out of all my 'golden age' consoles, my Inty gets the most attention.

I could honestly sit and play Astrosmash, Night Stalker, Space Hawk, AD&D Cloudy Mountian, Shark! Shark!, or Bomb Squad for hours at a time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kroogah View Post
    Before I sold my Intellivision off, I had a great time for months with Shark! Shark!, Tron Deadly Discs, Demon Attack, Beauty & The Beast, Burgertime, Microsurgeon, Diner, Night Stalker, Pinball, Motocross, and Lock & Chase.

Damn it, now I want one again.
    This is why a collector should never ever ever sell any of his collection. You will find it's just a waste of money due to buying it for $5, selling it for $10, then buying it back for $15.

Now with my Intellivision, I got lucky and bought it for $7.50 here at a local Thrift Store. Intellivision is very hard for me to collect. Most games I find are complete, but the box is so tattered, you want to throw it away. Should I keep it? It is a piece of gaming history. It's also a game that wouldn't hold my attention for 3 minutes. Then again I only gave $.50 cents for it. UGGGGG!!!!!!!

Which bring me to your question dgdgagdae. I'm sorry, I think you got took. I think with a little shopping around, I think you could have found one much cheaper. The games are quite cheap too. For instance quick search on ebay brings 337 auctions with this....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Intellivision-Sy...QQcmdZViewItem

$130 cheaper, -15 games, but has system boxed with voicemodule boxed as well.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

My feeling exactly with my atari 2600. Maybe once a year or two, I'll take it out, but you're right, so many of the games get old instantly.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Eh, maybe I did get taken, who knows. To me it was worth it to get a machine that had been refurbished. But thanks for the answers to the contrary, that's why I asked!

As for will I play them? Yes, I intend to. A few of them might not get more than a single play to verify they work, and the sports games won't hardly get touched (Inty sports games were almost all two player, know anyone else who wants to sit down and play these?), but gems like Burgertime and AD&D Treasure of Tarmin should get some time. And if I put them in and wonder just what in the hell was I thinking? Then I've still got a nice start to a collection. And a reason to post here, I've never had anything to contribute in the past!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Welcome to the forum dgdgagdae.

Congrats on your new Intelli.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i guess us old types enjoy the skill and challenge of a game rather than the story.

admittedly, a lot of classic era games are crap, but there are more than a few games that can occupy my attention for quite a long time. that 'just one more time' type of gameplay that lacks in modern gaming. kaboom! is probably the best example.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    Eh, maybe I did get taken, who knows. To me it was worth it to get a machine that had been refurbished.
    If it's worth it to you, then you didn't get taken. Nuff said.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Eh, maybe I did get taken, who knows. To me it was worth it to get a machine that had been refurbished. But thanks for the answers to the contrary, that's why I asked!

As for will I play them? Yes, I intend to. A few of them might not get more than a single play to verify they work, and the sports games won't hardly get touched (Inty sports games were almost all two player, know anyone else who wants to sit down and play these?), but gems like Burgertime and AD&D Treasure of Tarmin should get some time. And if I put them in and wonder just what in the hell was I thinking? Then I've still got a nice start to a collection. And a reason to post here, I've never had anything to contribute in the past!
    No better time to join the fray then! I don't know why but Intellivision has always been cheaper to collect for than the 2600. Vintage Stock here as a boxed Intellivision with 20 boxed games for $80. I don't know what specific games are included (I'm sure they're common) but if you divide that out that's crazy cheap.

Like AA pointed out, if it gets you back into retro gaming and you enjoy the system and games then it's "worth it", no matter the cost. Welcome to the party!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

By the way Rob, I have checked out your site in the past and read the first chapter of your book. Ah, the days of the 1200 baud modem, dialing into BBS's. That was, until later graduating to a 386 and Prodigy came along, remember that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Eh, maybe I did get taken, who knows.
    Like others have said bud, don't sweat it, "one mans treasure" and all that. Something is only worth what people are willing to pay. I mean someone might want prefer a 57Chevy where I'd prefer some collectible Arcade cabs! That's the beauty of it, collect what you like and emjoy it! Screw what anyone else thinks.
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I think you paid a bit much, but then that's just me. I've found a couple of Intellivisions in thrift stores for less than $10, and I have found boxed games for $2 each on a few occasions. Of course, it'll take a while to get a thrift store Intellivision cleaned and working, especially with wear and tear on the controllers. If you're happy with getting a functional and clean console with boxed games ready to go, then be glad you've got it.

The Intellivision is such a great little machine. Sure, the controllers aren't exactly ergonomic, but the hardware had a lot of potential. The later INTV Corporation games from the late '80s really showed off what it could do in comparison to the Atari 2600.

Recommendations: Diner, Thunder Castle, Microsurgeon, Thin Ice, Utopia, Beauty & The Beast, Shark! Shark!, Hover Force, Mind Strike (only works with the ECS Module), Tower of Doom, and Stadium Mud Buggies. And if you ever come across one in the wild (I haven't) grab Dig Dug. It's got a hidden game called Deadly Dogs in it, a take on Tron Deadly Discs but with the hot dogs from Burgertime as the enemies.

I see that you live in The Colony (where my brother lives). Check out Stonebriar Centre on Highway 121 every once in a while. There's a store in there (east end, I believe) that's got classic games for sale. I don't recall much Intellivision stuff there, but maybe they can track stuff down for you if you ask. That Colony Resale thrift doesn't have much in the way of videogames, but the Dallas area is going to get Vintage Stock stores, just as soon as they get around to changing over from The Movie Trading Company stores (or if they ever bother).
    Last edited by Steve W; 02-06-2007 at 01:20 PM.