Thread: Playdia?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Playdia?

To continue today's search for obscure, obsolete, Japanese systems (I posted the Pippin topic).......

The Playdia.

Could anyone tell me anything about the Playdia? What would one expect to pay for something like this? Does anyone know if the titles released for this system are any fun? Are the games easier to find than the ones for the Pippin?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The system and games are common,but they usually go high on ebay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hamburgler, you have no clue. Playdia is DIRT common in Japan. You can get a boxed one for under $30 typically. The games start at about a buck each and are all really cheap except for DBZ, cause the DBZ games have been driven up in value by US buyers. Expecit to pay about $10 a game in the US or on eBay for most Playdia games. They are cheaper in Japan, but figure on importing costs. The games are...ok at best, many of them being digital comics and such. Very little of interest for the non-Japanese speaker, I'd say.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Shipping from Japan to USA is usually about $100 for a boxed Playdia and in most cases with one game. The games are mostly geared towards kids. They were usually one button "games" with more cartoons than actual play time. Sailor Moon, DBZ, Gundam, and I think there was a Hello Kitty game. Some edutainment & encyclopedia titles populate the system.

Basically, if Bandai had a franchise when the Playdia came out, that franchise most likely got a game. I usually see the games go from $10-15+ shipping on eBay.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default yow!

that's a tad steep, there- i paid about $185 for my playdia and 3 boxed games, and that's with EMS (i think it was closer to $60-$65). my fm towns (which i NEED a LOT more games for so i can write about it, lol) cost $105 to ship because it came in the huge famitsu shipping hardcase with handles and velcro, and i had the seller put that inside a bigger box to protect it, lol..

according to the translation i got from one site, the system was created for ages 3-8, and the 11 games i have defintely skew that young. i believe there were around 40 or so games made total, but i'm not too sure. some entertainment software came out (i think there were one or two music-based discs for the parents to groove on), but the gameplay i the games in minimal- it's like an electronic book at times. the wireless controller is a cool idea, though...