Thread: The most underrated games of 2006 (long)...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Default The most underrated games of 2006 (long)...

The most underrated games of 2006.

This is my list of the most underrated games released in 2006. These are the games that no one seemed to talk about, and for the most part were critically dismissed as mediocre (or worse). Keep in mind that these are not necessarily the best games released this year, they are simply the games that most deserve a second chance. All can currently be found at budget prices, so do yourself a favor and pick them up. Feel free to add to the list (or disagree).

Xbox 360

Tomb Raider Legend (Edios):

Tomb Raider: Legend fits the classic description of an underrated game. It was dismissed as shit before it was even released...yet ended up exceeding expectations in every category that makes a game great (gameplay, graphics, and overall fun). How often does a shitty game franchise actually redeem itself to such an extent? Never.

Battlefield 2: Modern Combat (EA):

BF2MC is a prettier port of the original Xbox and PS2 versions of BF2MC that were released in 2005. That being said, there was not a better online FPS on the Xbox 360 from April to November 2006. That may not seem like much of an endorsement, but this was simply THE game that you should have played this summer on Xbox Live. BF2MC features some of the best online FPS action that I have ever experienced. No game lobbies, no host team-stacking...this is simply a pick-your-weapon-and-go shooter. This is now officially the game I have put the most hours into in the 27 years I have been playing video games. No matter what game I was playing this year, I always came back to BF2MC. Damn fun. This game also features some of the most difficult (and respectable) achievements so far for the 360. Five simultaneous enemy kills with one mortar strike? Good luck.

PS2

God Hand (Capcom):

This game is one of the most truly bizarre Japanese releases in recent memory. God Hand is the ultimate example of a "love it or hate it" experience. It's a game that can turn dismemberment (a scene where you're character literally gets his arms ripped out from their sockets) into a weird Japanese slapstick-comedy routine. This game reminds me of that episode of The Simpson's were the family takes a trip to Tokyo. They go into this "American"-themed restaurant and inside is this surreal hodge-podge of awkward and out of place American pop culture references as seen through Japanese eyes. That's what God Hand is like. That, and a lot of punching and kicking. Too many WTF moments to mention...probably the most in any game I've ever played.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army (Atlus):

What else can be said about the Shin Megami Tensei series that hasn't already been mentioned. Oh wait, that's right...no one HAS said anything about the series. The hype for this game was almost non-existent. It's not too surprising considering most gaming sites didn't even bother to review the last SMT installment. Like Final Fantasy, the SMT series keeps the same monster designs, magic and item names consistent throughout. Devil Summoner mixed things up by abandoning turn-based battles and going with a pseudo-action RPG battle system. While Devil Summoner isn't as good as Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga, it's still the 2nd best Japanese RPG released in 2006 (FFXII ftw).

PSP

Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins (Capcom):

Tragically misunderstood and unjustly hated, Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins is probably THE most underrated game of 2006. This game should be required playing for anyone that remembers the beloved rage that came with playing the NES, Genesis, and SNES originals. Yes, this game is hard. Yes, you are a pussy for whining. Unfortunately for us retro-gaming fans, Sony sees this game's failure as a failure for the entire 2-D genre. I'm sure they'll be thinking twice on releasing the 2-D Castlevania for PSP that we all know is coming. When they decide to pass, don't blame Ultimate Ghost's 'n Goblins. Excellent, difficult, and fun.

Nintendo DS

Resident Evil: Deadly Silence (Capcom):

Simply put, Resident Evil DS is a remake of Resident Evil 1 for the Playstation. If you didn't like the 1996 version, you probably won't like this one either. For those still interested, Resident Evil DS has the 2nd best gameplay evolution of the entire series...the ability to skip the annoying "opening the door" scene each time you move to a different room. Cartridges do have their advantages. In all seriousness, this is a must-have for all RE fans. Better than the original in every way and complete with the (necessary) 180° fast turn. Note to Capcom: I'm ready for DS versions of RE2, 3, and CV, thanks.

Honorable Mention:

Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 and 2 (GBA)
    Yggrda Union (GBA)
    Every Extend Extra (PSP)
    Megaman Powered Up (PSP)
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with your list dude. These titles were rock solid and just treated like garbage by the public eye. Especially how Ultimate GnG was just slapped acrossed the face by many magazines, damn new-age gamers don't know shit about what we love.

Another honorable mention I'd like to add, is Street Fighter Alpha Anthology, how can anyone deny this masterpiece collection? Sure, it should have been on Xbox with Xbox Live abilities, but I'm just amazed that it arrived on PS2.
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'll add Crash Tag Team Racing.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll add Black (PS2 and the Xbox).
    -This game was praised a little bit, but many gaming sites bashed it simply because it wasn't Halo 2 and had no online multiplayer. When I ask some of my friends, they have no idea what Black is or when it came out. Don't let them fool you: this is one shooter you shouldn't miss. Featuring some of the best graphics and sound on the PS2 and the Xbox, this game is just an adrenaline rush from start to finish. If you like shooters, you'll love this one. Even though there are only 8 missions in the game, they are all long and filled with plenty of shooting action. There are also 4 difficulties in the game, which really adds to the replay value. If you want to really wow your friends, show them the PS2 version of the game...they might think it's an Xbox 360 game since the graphics are so good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Excellent list, with many games that I would argee with should be on the list. I TOTALLY AGREE with the Ghouls n Ghosts comments. The game rocks and got slammed for being too hard. WTF? The original was more hard, the game was just respecting the difficult gameplay the original had. I guess I would add the Star Trek budget PS2 title to the list as well, as it didnt suck and was not well recieved.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've heard nothing but rave reviews and critical acclaim for Tomb Raider Legend ever since it came out. Not sure if I'd count that one.

I heard bad things about the RE DS game, but I haven't played it, so I can't comment.

I have my own idea of some underrated 2006 games, but those are some good mentions you have there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chicnstu View Post
    I'll add Crash Tag Team Racing.
    Agreed. I think its the best kart racer this generation, totally makes Double Dash look like trash (which it is.)

I'll add Baten Kaitos Origins.
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Banana (Level 7) pragmatic insanester's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Forbidden Siren 2. The action of RE4 with the atmosphere of Silent Hill. it improves just about all the problems of the original game. You can even unlock a mission where you play as a zombified soldier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    I guess I would add the Star Trek budget PS2 title to the list as well, as it didnt suck and was not well recieved.
    Another vote for Star Trek: Encounters. The first mission or two were downright awful but after that it really picked up and was a fun little arcadey top down free roaming shooter. A bit Armada-ish, really. The game got raped in the reviews for some reason, which was really disheartening.

I'm going to throw a vote out for Cooking Mama. It was a budget release and most people passed on it thinking that it was some stupid girl's game, but they totally missed out on a surprisingly fun girl's game I bought the only copy my local Gamestop got in and the monkey behind the counter made an offhand remark asking if it was for my girlfriend or something, underscoring that he obviously had never played the awesomeness of it.

Everyone raved about Trauma Center, which IMO was far too difficult and unfun, but Cooking Mama got overlooked despite it being substantially easier and more fun (for people of ALL ages).

While it gets a lot of love from the gaming press and everyone that's played it, why the hell isn't Okami flying off of shelves? Not underrated so much as overlooked, really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Speaking of underrated games, this is an underrated thread (mostly getting the bump because it's one of the surprisingly few search results for God Hand).

I just recently picked up God Hand and I absolutely love it. While I understand how lots of people probably can't stand it, this game is pure gold. The gameplay is solid and challenging, the humor is legit and spot-on and the entire thing is a spoof of the Fist of the North Star and the beat-em-up genre as a whole. And I've only just now beaten the first set of levels! I hadn't given the game much thought at first given that most recent beat-em-ups are awful, but this article sparked my interest and had a lot of good info about the game for those on the fence about giving it a shot: >CLICK<

I haven't played a lot of sleepers this year but I'll also second Tomb Raider Legend (though I need to go back and finish it). I agree with the original assessment: after a couple of terribly shitty games (and me having never been a fan of the first few either) I had assumed this game to be shitty. I downloaded the demo for the 360 and was floored by it, enough so to rent it. Just a solid game all-around and a perfect example of how to revitalize a sagging (pun intended) franchise.

Thanks to the recent sale at Gamefly I have Steambot Chronicles on the way, anyone have an opinion on that one? Reviews indicated that it's the sort of unassuming, charming game that I'll end up loving (see: Phantom Crash, Mr. Mosquito, etc.).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

It's fairly new, but not many people seem to be talking about it.

Elebits.

F'ing great game. Out of all my Wii games, including the VC games, Elebits is getting the most play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

FYI: Battlefield 2:MC for the 360 just had a universal price drop yesterday. It now retails for $29.99. Plenty of people still playing this online.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Sega Genesis Collection for PS2/PSP. Yeah, it got 80s from most reviews, but it deserved 100s damn it. It's got three freakin' Phantasy Star games for $20. Probably the best value in gaming all year long.