Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Playstation 3: Big Deal.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    As I've said before.. I gave up "taking sides" during the bloody 5200 vs. Colecovision wars But yeah the PS3 doesn't interest me right now.. I mean, it's just too expensive!! The wife and I are working professionals so it's not a question of affordibility, it's the principle of the matter. I just really do balk at that price for a console. Call it consumer conditioning over the past 25 years.
    The thing is, the ps3 price doesnt sound nearly as outrageous as the launch price of other consoles like the 3do or intellivision, and yeah those consoles failed miserably, but they dont have the support that the ps3 has.

And then there is the matter of the prices of the games. The old carts (atari, nes, snes, n64) stayed expensive forever because of how much it costs just to make the carts, much more expensive than discs. Atari and NES carts sold for $50 each, and that would be close to double in todays dollars. In terms of the games, todays games are a total bargain compared to 20 or 30 years ago, and i am just talking about msrp. The GH games makes these last few generations MUCH easier to play games at an affordable price.

That being said, the "big deal" about it is it's obviously 2006/2007 cutting edge.

tell that to the Wii. tho i guess it does some cutting edge things like the downloads and whatnot. My point is that it doesnt blow anyone away with its graphics

which is funny since it really wasn't all that long ago where it seemed most any gaming forum here or elsewhere (or IRC) was full of people cheerleading for the demise of Nintendo! Remember when that was prevalant? What happened to NintendoDiesScreaming for example?
    You know, i dont remember this at all tho i dont go to all that many videogame message boards except for cag, i assume you are talking about the n64? or the gamecube? those consoles didnt do all that well asside from the first party games. But nintendo's big moneymaker has always been the handhelds. And literally all of those have been a huge success.
    It is pitch black. If you continue you are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by dracula View Post
    The thing is, the ps3 price doesnt sound nearly as outrageous as the launch price of other consoles like the 3do or intellivision, and yeah those consoles failed miserably, but they dont have the support that the ps3 has.
    A lot has been made of the effect of inflation on the price of video game items. To really bring it into focus, look at this:

The 3DO, released in 1993, initially at $699.95 - would cost $920.30-$946 in 2005, and $976 in 2006 - so probably over a grand today (assuming those were for January of each year).

The Premium Xbox 360 would have cost $376.50 in 1993. Quite expensive, even compared to the inflated release price of the original Xbox, but apparently people don't care that much and are buying. It's a good value for the money, or at least it was at release.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    A lot has been made of the effect of inflation on the price of video game items. To really bring it into focus, look at this:

The 3DO, released in 1993, initially at $699.95 - would cost $920.30-$946 in 2005, and $976 in 2006 - so probably over a grand today (assuming those were for January of each year).
    forget the systems, look at the games. I am shocked that it took this long for the msrp of games to shoot up $10. the msrp was $50 for the atari and NES (probably more like $75 or $80 for the present value of today's dollar)and stayed that way until the ps2/xbox generation, which is totally bizarre imo.
    It is pitch black. If you continue you are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by dracula View Post
    10 year?! the ps1 came out in 1994 and the ps2 was out in 2001(?) and the ps3 is out in 2006/2k7. So 10 years may be pushing it unless they come up with some good add ons to add to the existing hardware.
    Yeah and the Dreamcast still has games being released today. But in all those situations the bulk of developer support dried up shortly after the 5-6 year market.