Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven's Obscure Super Famicom Impressions Thread (Top 50 countdown + closing remarks)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Jump on, then jump off

Suck out the red and then put it back in

Now the block travels higher based on where you injected it

Easy huh!

You can actually solve the levels in more than just one way. And if you want to dump a color harmlessly, simply press down

LEVEL 2 AT A GLANCE

Hop on

Suck it, then put it back in

Hop on the "new and improved" block

1 down, 1 to go
    The last orb is easy as you can see

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There are many stages, 10 levels in each. The further you advance the crazier they get. Trust me, the later ones are INSANE. Just be grateful there's no time limit

--->

Coming from Nintendo, you know there are bound to be nice little details. Look no further than the smiling stone that frowns the moment you hop on its head

--->

Press "R" to scan the level -- later stages have a bigger layout and this feature comes in handy

And of course, different slots are available to save high scores and whatnot

CLOSING THOUGHTS

A fine action puzzler that will last ages on account of the later stages being damn tough. I dare call it a must-have for every SNES owner who enjoys staring contemplatively at the screen until inspiration breaks through with the resolute "A-HA!"

1st four stages (2:10)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

--->

Hmmmm, ohhhh-kay. Definitely would not get past NoA...

Hey there, lass. Ah, a fugly car then approaches [HEY! -Ed.]

--->

The driver, obviously, is asking her to make him some coffee [NO! He's asking her to join him for coffee ya git -Ed.] Oh. Well, either way she's clearly hesitant. No sooner then does a ride that's more "fly" as they say, pull up

--->

The new guy also requests her company. Stuck in the middle, with offers from both gentlemen, oh what's a modern lady to do?! I can't take this drama...

Oooh! Ouch

As they say in the commercial, "No play... for Mr. Gray!"

--->

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The rejected guy, cursing his lot in life, contemplates how a better set of wheels would right all wrongs...

What do you expect this sad bloke to do now? Will he

A. Take out his anger by vanquishing bad guys in a beat em up?
    B. Jump on cutesy animal baddies in a platformer?
    C. Work his way up the financial ladder in a sim?
    D. Push boxes around in an empty warehouse?
    E. Learn the art of ass kicking and throw fireballs in a 2D fighter?

If you picked "D"...

Bob, tell him what he's won!

SUPER SOUKOBAN

GameBoy users may be familiar with this game as "Boxxle" (1989)

It's a mind-taxing logic game; the goal is to push boxes to cover the purple dots. You can't pull, you can only push and you can only move one box at a time. You can imagine the mess you'd create if you push a box in an ill-advised position. Thankfully, besides the option to restart a level at any point, pressing "L" rewinds the action and allow the player to go back as far as he wishes. Likewise, "R" is fast forward, in case you rewinded too far back. This is a God-send and very smart of the programmers. Kudos

There's no time limit however there is a step limit

Stage 1

The solution to this stage?

Get each box in that position there, where the guy is in front of

Stage 2

Can you figure out the "hot spot" here? OK, here's the final hint:

Stage 3 (see below) introduces the "darkened box;" this indicates the box is already resting on a purple dot. Later stages may have multiple darkened boxes so you really have to be careful with them...

Stage 4

Stage 5

Stage 6

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

OH PLEASE, EVEN A FOUR-YEAR-OLD CAN SOLVE THESE...

OK wiseguy. There are a total of 300 (!) warehouses to tackle, with the option of jumping to any one at any time, and a password is given each time you clear a level. Of course, the first handful eases you in, before becoming gradually harder til DAMN! Notice as the puzzles get more complex, everything is properly reduced in size...

A look at some of the later stages then...

Stage 47

Stage 88

Stage 147

Stage 188

GOOD GRIEF!!!

Stage 234

Stage 277

GOD DAMN!!!

See! They become absolute conundrums in no time. In fact, rumor has it launch day buyers TO THIS DAY are still stuck on level 289!! [Oh? Where did you hear that? -Ed.] Er, moving on...

To cap it off, there's also an Level Edit option and a radical 2-player mode to see who finishes first. There's EVEN a choice of 10 characters to select from

CLOSING THOUGHTS

Sokoban (note the missing "u") loosely translates to "warehouse keeper" I'm told, and has been around since the early 80's, pioneered by one, Hiroyuki Imabayashi. Its easy-to-play-but-difficult-to-solve gameplay is about as pure as it gets. It's a brilliant game that any one, even non-gamers, can really enjoy. The 2 player mode is nice, but it's really the 300 puzzles that will last players a lifetime

To borrow a phrase I used to describe Keeper and Sutte Hakkun, Super Soukoban is really a can't-miss for those who enjoy staring contemplatively at the screen until inspiration breaks through with a resolute A-HA!

This is, sadly, a underrated SFC gem. It's freaking ace

Awesome Sokoban Site
    1st Four Stages (2:22)
    Stages 5 and 6 (0:47)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Can't get enough Soukoban on your Super Famicom? Never fear, Nintendo is here. On New Years 1999 (yes, '99) they released an update to that ole classic...

POWER SOUKOBAN

Taking control of a devil, you go through a series of mazes with the same goal in mind as SUPER SOUKOBAN, pushing boxes (this time stones) to cover purple dots (this time pits). The modern twist? But of course, STAYING ALIVE. Staying alive? Yes, for from the excavation comes forth HELL'S ARMY!

OK, in all honesty, more like Hell's Rejects, no, Purgatory's Rejects

Baddies are more of a nuisance than legitimate threats. Two ways to dispose of 'em:

1. Pushing a stone over 'em
    or
    2. Zap 'em

Another modern twist is the ability to throw fireballs. You can also charge to create a powershot a la Megaman. And there's a "run" button as well

So then, this update is an action-puzzler with sort of a Zelda-y feel/atmosphere, very slightly, BUT it's certainly there, as anyone who has played it would surely attest to...

Rocks can also be pushed via the powershot

Whereas SUPER SOUKOBAN was straight-to-the-point, POWER features multiple paths, multi-tier puzzles, and there are even friends to guide you along with hints (in Japanese, mind, but nothing you can't do without)

Speaking of friends, here's the cast:

The game opens with that screen up there. The iron gate's locked so you must find an alternate route.... hey, what's that little crack in the wall...

BINGO! Only your powershot can break it

And off you go. There are many rooms and you can run to the next without solving the current one, but it's advisable you take care of each one as you go along

YOU CAN'T TEACH AN OLD DOG NEW TRICKS

Multi-tiered puzzles adds new dimension to the ole formula

--->
    Watch out for the statues up top; they'll come alive! No, not really

As you advance, more pits means more enemies. As long as the pits remain open, they will keep spawning. But again, they're really a non-factor... but at least they're there, eh? Plus, when defeated some drop a power-up to aid your quest

--->
    Some of the enemies look to me like rejects from Super Bomberman 5...

I said earlier it'd be wise to finish each puzzle as you confront 'em; however, for some the solution is not immediately available. Only by advancing do you later arrive at a point where you can then solve a previously impossible puzzle. Confused? You needn't be

Observe:

See, here you enter this room on the lower floors. Blasted stones... how can you push them to cover the slots from this vantage point? The answer is you can't, and remember you can't pull

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A-ha! Later transversing to higher ground, you'll find a room leading downstairs, now you can use your powershot to shove 'em where they belong

DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS

SS was going from one warehouse to the next, PS is not like that. [What are you saying about the Sega Saturn and Playstation eh? -Ed.]. Oi, anyway... POWER doesn't have "levels," per se. Rather it's interconnected like (Super) Metroid or Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

SOME MORE SHOTS

More multi-tier madness

Use your Powershot to break those dirt clumps

The occult-ish statues add nicely to this dungeon underworld's atmosphere

"Quick, snap a shot of me!"

Complete this while avoiding the circulating ring of fire

BE YOUR OWN BOSS

Another major diff in this modern update: you'll fight BOSSES! These include more traditional American-looking fiends such as Medusa and Frankenstein to name a few. These end-of-stage bosses are entirely combat-based

AUTOMATIC, NOT MANUAL

Something to take note of if you buy this game CIB: the game's manual is a fold-out map, with instructions on the back side. So don't fret when you don't find a "regular" manual inside the box

CLOSING THOUGHTS

Which do I prefer? I love the update. But there's something pure about the original I can't deny. These two are must-own's if you love these type of games, and they complement each other well. POWER SOUKOBAN is one hell of a nice update, but I prefer SUPER SOUKOBAN by a hair

Jan '93 vs. Jan '99! Both are well worth owning

Power Soukoban (2:19)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

*cue movie trailer voice guy*

ENTER A UNIQUE WORLD...

WHERE LIVES WILL CHANGE AND A NATION WILL CRY... or something

*end movie trailer voice guy* [Hey, how much does he cost us anyway? -Ed.]

IS IT AN RPG? SIM?

NO!

It's....

LODE RUNNER TWIN

Lode Runner is like an old trusty friend to some of us. You may not call this friend every week, or even every month, but whenever you do, it's like you never left

Thanks to T&E Soft, Super Nintendo players have a version to call their own. And while the mechanics are similar, the look and atmosphere is distinctly different

--->
    You can forego the map if you wish for the full monty and a tougher challenge

HEY THAT'S NOT JACK PERIL!

Indeed it's not. Say bye Jack and hello Justy and Liberty, two anime-esque chaps. There's a story mode (complete with password), free play and a couple 2-Player split-screen modes

THE MORE THINGS CHANGE....

The more they stay the same. Let's check out how our protagonist fares in the first level:

Ninja mask!? No, just the odd gum-blowin'

Your goal is to collect all the candy wrappers. Only then will a ladder magically appear to whisk you to the next level

--->
    Gone are cannibalistic monks... in its place SD trident-wielding devil lackeys

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The baddies quickly attempt to gang up on you, but like your ancestors you too can cave in floors where applicable, and walk safely over their head as seen there

Rope-sliding feels spot-on and oddly becomes quite enjoyable to execute

Ah, our hero gracefully glides his way to safety, leaving the baddies in the dust. EAT MY SHORTS YA FILTHY SWINES!! [Have you your medication yet? -Ed.]

--->
    1 more candy to go! Hey... what's that oil-y thing dripping from the ceiling eh?

"What manner of witchcraft is this?!" That drippy thing is a new bad guy forming. Have at him!

--->

You might have rid of that one, but notice his buddies quickly gaining ground. Now the magic sound effect blares off, indicating you've nabbed all the goodies. A ladder-to-the-next-level now awaits... of course... on your way there it's not 100% peaceful

YOU WON'T TAKE ME ALIVE!

Toggle the map on/off as you please. This bit is easy, and it's these fun little moments that add tremendously to the game's value/appeal

Drop and he'll follow you accordingly

As soon as you land, make your way toward the ladder

JUST about home free now!

AH there we are

CLOSING THOUGHTS

I love retro games. It's the spirit of the age you know, the zeitgeist -- looking forwards by looking back. Or something like that. Heck, I just might be an old codger. I remember when games were rationed, you know

If you can overlook (figuratively speaking) the annoying music, what you have here is a nice variation of a classic theme

1st Level (0:52)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

*cue Movie Trailer Voice Guy* [Here we go again... *whips out big check* -Ed.]

IT IS AN ISLAND SATE WITH DANGER AND TRAPS...

Er... THATS PRETTY MUCH ALL I GOT THIS WEEK

*loud rumbling in the background, couple F-bombs and gunshots later...*

Ahem... well I guess we won't be seeing or hearing from him again. Neither, really. Anywho remember how Nintendo brought us a POWER update of a classic old game in Soukoban?

Weeeelll....

They're back at it yet again!

POWER LODE RUNNER

Released alongside POWER SOUKOBAN on New Year's 1999, this version of Lode Runner takes on a more modern feel, though indeed it plays much the same as ones before it. "B" digs a hole in the ground to your left, "A" to your right. If the bad guys fall through, you can safely walk over their head. Goal hasn't changed -- still have to collect the necessary items to unlock the rite to passage

Cute but in a different sort-of-cute compared to TWIN, you control a blue rabbit-y bloke, going through all manner of themes. There are three immediately selectable worlds, with themes changing every 5 levels

WORLD 1

I love these World shots -- you'll see a couple more later on equally as ace

Map on your bottom left (can be switched off), your item count bottom right (in yellow). Touch the logs there, leaving you 3 more pieces away

A spot of climbing. You'll do plenty of it

Piece number 2... 2 to go

I appreciate games with sensible gameplay... gameplay that allows the player to be efficient. You needn't climb to the bottom of a tree, not when you can slide off at any moment's notice (see above)

Those are the BAD guys?! Why yes

In this theme, these rather innocent-looking monkeys are the source of danger. As each theme alters every 5 levels, so too the enemies

DIE SCUMBAGS!

Applying some good ole Lode Runner know-how will make quick work of these chumps

There's sneaky contestant number 3

--->
    Ahh one of the game's simplest joys; esp. when you evade a bad guy in this way

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

--->
    A lone monkey soldier fails horribly to halt the progress of our furry protagonist

4 outta 4!

Home sweet home

And onto the next level you go

THE OTHERS

Some sweet climbing antics abound here

It's a romp to work this one out

Watch out for 'em spiteful beavers!

Kinda spooky here (sans Teddy of course)

"So... you come here often?"
    "Yeah, great place to hang out"

Metal parts are unbreakable

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Fruits can be used by enemies to stun you

"Ninety-eight.... niiiinety-niiiine..."

This bit's extremely fun to navigate through

WORLD 2

Freakin' gorgeous these World screens are

Our hero sporting a ninja-esque look

"I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS S---!"

WORLD 3

Evokes a stealth-y adventurous aura eh?

Beware of menacing crabs and... ghosts!

Kids -- don't try this at home

Persistent little suckers eh

CLOSING THOUGHTS

I love Soukoban and Lode Runner. It's nice to see four different games of these two timeless franchises on the SNES. Two of which are 1999 updates from Nintendo. Overall, I enjoy Soukoban more, but Lode Runner I'll always be down with

I prefer Super Soukoban over the Power update, here I'll take the POWER version over TWIN. Power Lode Runner is graphically and sonically superior to Lode Runner Twin. The level design and enemy roster is also better; oozing with more creativity and that undeniable Nintendo charm

Twin is no slouch though. These are four fine games every "thinking" SNES fan simply must own

1st level (1:39)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This past Monday (Nov. 27) was Bruce Lee's Birthday. He would have turned 66. To honor the man, the myth, the legend... what more appropriate genre could we look at today than the beat em up?

The original Bruce clone: Kim Dragon!

I have a lot of good memories of THE COMBATRIBES. It was my 2nd import taste... my brother and I rented the Super Famicom version at this hotshot upstart diehard gaming rental outlet in late '92 or thereabouts. We friggin' loved it. And who could forget the comic ad that proclaimed "CYBORGS AIN'T LADIES!!"

Ahh Good Times

Oddly, I never bought the game back then. Sad but true: I rented it roughly 7 times.... at 6 different stores... over a 5 year span! I just never grew tire of swinging the carcasses around, knockin' out the other baddies in the process. Or, as the gif below shows, viciously re-arranging their furniture

So then... what kind of sick twisted game on the innocent ole Super NES would allow you, the sadistic bloodthirsty gameplayer, to partake in such boisterous barbaric brutality?

IRON COMMANDO

One of the harder to find beat em up's on SNES, I never once saw this sucker online. I was forced, then, to summon my hired gun in Japan to scour the shops for me. Is it worth the hype? Let's find out...

Pick from Jack or Chang Li (no relation to Chun-Li I assume). Tackle the gangs by yourself or with a friend. There is a nice variety to the levels as you'll see

THE CITY

In this first level quotes will occasionally appear at the bottom. Adds a B-Movie feel and oddly, only appears in this stage

Iron Commando has a myriad of weapons at your disposal. From 9mm guns to rifles to machine guns to knives and baseball bats, I'm almost shocked there wasn't a chainsaw as well

Now THATS what I call a double play!

The 1st boss

THE ROAD

Run and shoot em down

That'll teach 'em...

Or maybe not

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

THE FOREST

Rejects from SUNSET RIDERS!

THE WAREHOUSE

BATTER UP! 'Oh the indignity' sez Nintendo

You'll go from sunny exterior to this flickering warehouse interior. It's a nice effect. After a brief jaunt, you'll face "Mr. Soukoban" Big Tom. He is the "warehouse keeper" y'know

--->

THE TEMPLE

Bizarre enemy roster to say the least

Ugh, those serpents are unmercifully cheap-slash-annoying. You'll hate 'em even more than the Medusa Heads in Castlevania. Yes, they're that bad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Not only do you have to contend with this crazed inhuman maniac, but the spikes on the left are constantly moving toward the right; a most deadly proposition...

THE BEACH

DYK: they were extra's in "BEAT IT"

THE MINES

SHOOT EM ALL! LEAVE NO SURVIVORS!

THE CAMP

Oh jeez, the animal cruelty...

THE JEEP

Like sitting (er, standing) ducks, if they could that is

THE ROBOT
    --->

Yikes! Hit 'im with everything you got! Regular enemies rover onto the scene... beat 'em to gain more weapons, but beware the robot's laser eye and giant frisky hands. This fight lasts an eternity

Good Luck!

SO IS IT GOOD OR BAD?

Nice looking graphics eh? I feel like I'm at the arcades. It just doesn't have the "typical" SNES look. It's visually distinct, and the weapon choice is pretty cool. Weapons are picked up by "X" which is not your "attack" button... bonus points for that

Here comes the "but" part.... it's a quarter-muncher. Pure and simple. Even on Easy, the game's hard. Enemies surround you. You suffer countless unavoidable hits. It's hard to really get into a flow with so many cheap hits abound

The damage distribution is horrible. Doing a 3-hit combo barely ticks their health. What gives? Am I controlling a little boy or a warrior here? This drags the game down in my opinion

"Choose Your Little Boy" more like

You're probably assuming weapon damage ratio to be better, right? Sadly, not much

CLOSING THOUGHTS

Cheap mandatory hits and poor damage ratio are my two biggest disputes with the game. If you can look past that, it can be a decent good time, with unique graphics and a almost B-Movie feel. The 2 player mode is a big plus

Still, one can't help but feel IRON COMMANDO should be awesome; a beat em up for the ages, a brawler to be lionized by a legion of fans.... rather than merely being "not shabby" or "it's pretty good, BUT..."

THE CITY (1:33)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

SHOUNEN NINJA SASUKE

Released by Sunsoft, this is a wacky sprawling no-levels-per-se-having beat em up with some RPG-ish traits thrown in for good measure. The music is very catchy. During fights it's upbeat and frantic. During town scenes calm and mellow. In either case, there's a decisively oriental flair backing it

Most of the game you'll be engaging in fights such as these. See that coin up there, they crop up for each bad guy you vanquish. Money can be spent in shops to buy food, weapons or save your progress (that too will cost ya) [Damn @#!$%^ shopkeepers -Ed.]

Villagers pass by innocently

Y'ALL GON' MAKE ME LOSE MY COOL
    [UP IN HERE! UP IN HERE! Sorry -Ed.]

Ye ole trusty fist

Ye ole trusty foot

Flying shoulderblock

There is also a sword and shurikens. The jump kick can be repeated, without landing, multiple times. It's amusing to say the least. If you watch the video you'll see me jump kick a boss character -- without landing -- 22 (!) consecutive times

--->

Like the game itself, highly bizarre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I GOT PLACES TO SEE...

You'll travel a multitude of landscapes; some are cool-looking, others a bit creepy and a few even mythical

Atmospheric if I do say so myself

No Soliciting

Need a hand?

Warthogs can do a number if you're careless... the woods are filled with peril

Those heads are a bit creepy-looking

"Now open your mouth and say AAAAH"

... AND PEOPLE TO BEAT

Along the journey you'll meet some straaaange cats

Catmen can temporarily curse you

Uh yeah... no words could properly explain this scene... so let's move on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

O_o

A WISE MAN ONCE SAID....

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim,
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
    Though as for that the passing there
    Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
    In leaves no step had trodden black.
    Oh, I kept the first for another day!
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
    I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I —
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Unlike traditional beat em up's, Shounen has multiple paths; you're free, for the most part, to go where you please

A ONCE WISE MAG SAID...

DOUBLE YOUR PLEASURE

Two can play. You can hit your buddy too

CLOSING THOUGHTS

Initially I didn't care for it much. A friend likes it a lot though, so I gave it a 2nd shot and came away with a more favorable impression. It's a nice little game. Reminds me of a mix between GANBARE GOEMON and RIVER CITY RANSOM/MIGHTY FINAL FIGHT. Not a must-have, but it's a nice-to-have game if you like the theme. Keep in mind there's some RPG-ish elements and some JP text to be worked through, but it's not extensive

Shounen Ninja Sasuke (1:06)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

BATTLE ZEQUE DEN

You gotta be GREAT if you're a beat em up using a 1-plane system... otherwise it's like peanut butter and squid -- the two just don't mix. Does Battle Zeque Den make the grade?

There are three female fighters, each with their own special moves

Enemies are status quo. The regular joe (see below), a fat guy, a fat pig (like from THE MONKEY KING) etc

I dug the Jason Vorhees clone though

Her special move ("X") releases some dino friends

Level 2 sees a nice effect when it starts to drizzle

And then pours

"Y+B" for a different special move

It's not too bad, it's just missing that "oomph"

On the upside, it's pretty tough. On the downside, it's one player only and the 1-plane restricts a feeling of freedom that, in my opinion, makes these games so fun to play

Overall, slightly above average for the genre

Battle Zeque Den level 1 (1:35)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

KISHIN DOUJI ZENKI: BATTLE RAIDEN

Be careful... there are, including this one, three Hudson Zenki titles on SFC. Raiden is the beat em up of the bunch. For simplicity's sake "Zenki" will be used from here on out

Based off the manga, Zenki is slightly similar to Zeque in that it's a 1-plane side scrolling beat em up. But it's much deeper thanks to its platform-y essence

The dark creepy intro sets a nice tone

--->

You play a small dude, but certain levels he'll be his super hero alter ego. In level 1 you start out as the little guy

The washed-out backdrop here is an excellent unique style. Kudos to Hudson. It reminds me of those paintings by the infamous painter with the fro back in the day -- he even appeared on THE SIMPSONS once or twice

Cool bosses abound from the get-go

Level 2 you become your alter ego

Level 2 is an icy world with typical platforming bits like disappearing ice blocks

Some baddies pop out for a nasty surprise

This part is pretty neat; you break a pod which releases a wavy energy current, lifting our hero up high

The shoulder buttons allow you to dash. Comes handy in this spot

Some baddies look menacing enough to pass as mid-bosses when in reality are just regulars

You have a super attack, but it'll cost you some health

Yes, you're restricted to 1-plane but the nice thing here is it's more of a platform-slash-beat em up hybrid. There are some devious platforming bits to navigate, which keeps the game interesting. Some bosses not shown are awe-inducing. Giant wolf head, red dragon with an ace fiery background, etc. Health refills are hidden inside pods, but sometimes a spider baddie lies inside instead

It's relatively easy but there are some tricky bits, like the lava ride. Some stages have a force field at the exit, so you must collect a certain item on that level to deactivate the barrier

There's a lot more to do here than in Zeque. I'm not crazy about Zenki, but I like it; there's definitely some quality here. Of course, you'd expect that, coming from Hudson and all

Zenki level 2 (1:01)