Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Really interesting looking game for DS (Deep Labyrinth)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does it have free movement or a grid-based movement? (ie you always turn 90 degrees, strafe directly to either side or move straight forwards and backwards)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

X-Play gave this game a 1 out of 5. It's a port from a cell phone game... that's probably not going to add up to a satisfying game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT
    Does it have free movement or a grid-based movement? (ie you always turn 90 degrees, strafe directly to either side or move straight forwards and backwards)
    Free.

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy
    X-Play gave this game a 1 out of 5. It's a port from a cell phone game... that's probably not going to add up to a satisfying game.

I tried it at my local gamestop, its not horrible, but the gameplay could be better, the graphics are decent for the DS... but the 30 dollar price is too high for my tastes.
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It does have free movement, but without the strafe (imagine Doom with no side-stepping left or right). Movement is with the d-pad or buttons (left or right handed options, very nice for us southpaws) and automatically locks on a-la Zelda OoT to circle-strafe baddies.

It doesn't have a 'snap-grid' movement like old dungeon crawls or Wizardry on PS2.

The touch pad is used exclusively for attacking, magic, and item managment in a fairly intuitive setup.

I've read the negative press for this game, and I think its too harsh. I wasn't expecting much from 'cell phone ports', and came away very happy with a game that truly felt like a DS original. Again, you have to respect it for what it is, not Oblivion-on-DS. I do find this game a worthy purchase for dungeon crawl fans. Plus, rumor has it that it has a relatively low print run (well, through the EB/Gamestop line. haven't seen it many places.)
    Mekka-lekka hi, mekka-hinney-hoh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The EB I bought mine from had 2 copies. I got the last one. PLayed it a little bit, but too shortly to have an opinion yet!

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

It almost looks as if it is a free roaming version of Shining the Holy Ark for Saturn. Atlus made it and I am a big fan of them. They also tend to make some games that eventually become rare and worth a little loot. I wouldn't be suprised if what the previous posters said was true and it has a low print run, like a bunch of other games made by them. $30, I may be willing to pick it up if I see it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

So I picked this up today on my lunch break and have played it for about 30 minutes so far. Some (very) early impressions:

- The magic system isn't hard to use as some reviews have bitched about
    - The combat is simplistic but it works well enough
    - The lack of strafe isn't a huge issue
    - The game looks alright, but it's nothing fancy graphically
    - You level up fairly quickly in this, and your weapons level up too. I'm already a level 5 and my sword is level 6.

It's almost at the point where something else should happen. I've already beaten the first "boss" and I've learned most of the basics from the 'rat-people' inhabiting the world. I'll try to post more once I get some more time into it...

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I picked this up last night and played it for a few hours. It is a pretty fun game and the labyrinths are acctually pretty decent sized. You can even walk through walls to find secrets which lead to other secrets and whatnot. Leveling up and finding hidden swords and stuff makes for a pretty fun game. I enjoyed it and for anybody that likes RPGs and lots of touch screen action, I recomend this game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Im gonna pick this up before I go on vacation saturday, for the car trip. Despite reviews this game just seems like alot of fun, in Dark Cloud I was obsessed w/ ;ev;eing up my weapons, hopefuly its the same on this game.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you hurry, you can get this game for $9 at Toys 'R Us right now!!!! OMG! Anyways, I picked it up the other day, but I haven't played it yet. I'm not sure what to think about it. Does anyone have a more developed impression of it now that some time has gone by?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a mediocre title IMO. The story is fun, the gameplay is so-so at best. I got through the first half of the game before I set it aside to play "later". I'd recommend it for sure for $9 though!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    It's a mediocre title IMO. The story is fun, the gameplay is so-so at best. I got through the first half of the game before I set it aside to play "later". I'd recommend it for sure for $9 though!
    I agree. It's a pretty fun game, I'm almost ot the end of the first quest. Some of the later levels look REALLY nice. The controls are fine, I just with there was a little bit more depth to the combat. You really don't have to do anything but scribble on the touch screen, and all the enemies can be attacked in exactly the same way (it makes no difference if you do horizontal or vertical strikes, for example, and there are no 'moves' per se). That said, it's still a pretty fun and unique dungeon crawl for $10.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think I've even heard of this game. Critics, including ones that I usually agree with, have all universally panned this game. But if it's really cheap, I might pick it up anyway for curiosity's sake. Doesn't sound great though.