Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weird and/or unique games(1996-2006)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Bangai-O (DC) is without a doubt, one of the weirdest games I've ever played.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

That's an interesting list of games you've come up with NeoZeedeater.
    I just picked up Odama a few days ago and haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Definately an interesting and unique game concept mixing strategy with pinball flippers and a microphone. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'm going to see a lot of blood and gore crushing people under that gigantic pinball. I don't dare to hope I'll get to hear any Joe Theisman sound effects though!

Shadow of Colossus is a must have and I don't yet! But if I can't kill my horse in that game, I'm going to be terribly disappointed!

I've enjoyed playing all the Oddworld games and like the direction they took with Stranger's Wrath. Shooting critter ammo is definately a different experience. I think I read somewhere that Stranger's Wrath was going to be the last Oddworld game made. Seems they want to move the IP to film's. I wouldn't mind seeing an Oddworld film if they can manage to keep Uwe Boll away!

The Neverhood was a pretty good puzzle game I've played on my PC. There's something about claymation that just looks cool! I think the guys who made that were from the Earthworm Jim Shiny Enterainment group. That's another unique game that just missed your 1995-2006 time bracket. I do have Neverhoods sequel...

Game: Skullmonkey's
    Developer/Publisher: The Neverhood
    Format: Playstation
    Year: 1998
    Game Ranking: 80%
    The Klaymen fight Skullmonkeys in a side scrolling platform game this time.

For some reason that guy in Gekisha Boy 2 reminds me of Quagmire of the family guy. Giggity! I never could quite bring myself to buying Gekisha Boy because I've never enjoyed taking pictures in any game I've played so far. I didn't like it in GTA:SA, it's pretty much put me off from playing any of the recent Metroids, though I guess it's called scanning in those, and it was the main reason I dropped out of Beyond Good & Evil about a third of the way in. Well, that and the realization that I'd never acquire a flamethrower or white phosphorous grenades to clear those urchins out of my lighthouse! That being said, I would like to see a US port of PS2's Michigan come over. It was developed by Grasshopper who also did Killer 7, which also made it on your list. Sort of a horror game involving camera's that never got that great of reviews but managed to intrigue me with the idea of earning erotic points by filming up skirt videos. Now that's weird and/or unique!!

Quote Originally Posted by goemon
    Ore no Ryouri is one of my favorite games... I got it when I was in cooking school and had more fun than in an actual kitchen. Pepsiman is good too, although the action gets repetitive after a while. The intermissions are gold, though.
    My additions: any Chou Aniki game, especially the PS/SS version that uses live digitized actors. Very trippy and possibly homoerotic.
    I also think any Parodius game would be a good addition to the list. Sexy Parodius is probably the most bizarre.
    I just never could pull the trigger on Ore no Ryouri though I've read so many people who've enjoyed it. For me cooking is a chore and I can't imagine it being anything else! Pepsiman does get repetitive, but it's goofy as Hell and in English for some reason unbeknownst to me! I will vigorously second the nomination of any Chou Aniki and Parodius games!

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler
    Game: Irritating Stick

I have picked up a lot of PlayStation games in my time and in all of my hunting I have never run across a single copy of that game. Afer reading the reviews for it, perhaps that's a good thing!

Quote Originally Posted by DDCecil
    If you are going to include Rez and N20, you need to include iS: internal Section.
    If you are going to include trippy looking rail shooters I will give a thumbs up to...

Game: Lattice 200EC7
    Developer/Publisher: Nousite, Inc.
    Format: (JPN) PlayStation
    Year: 2000
    A rail shooter that's unusual because you are looking for a way out of a geometric shape. The rail is four sided that you can rotate/revolve around to avoid obstacles at the risk of becoming disoriented. Some odd looking stuff, some benign, some not, are seen hovering around the rails and the graphics are impressive for the PlayStation.

A few more weird and/or unique games I'd care to nominate are...

Any of the puzzle games developed by Shift are pretty unusual and always difficult. Starting with this one.

Game:Intelligent Qube
    Developer/Publisher: Shift
    Format: PlayStation
    Year: 1997
    Game Ranking: 72%
    With a third person perspective, you are trying to eliminate an avalanche of blocks without having one fall on you.

Game: Devil Dice
    Format: PlayStation
    Year: 1998
    Game Ranking: 79%
    Needless to say you use your Teletubby looking character to move the dice to create chain reaction explosions.

Name: Bombastic
    Format: PS2
    Year: 2002
    Game Ranking: 75%
    The sequel to Devil Dice with much the same gameplay that's much to complicated to explain fully.

Hate Teletubbies you say? Good! So do I, let's kill some!
    Game: Raze's Hell
    Developer/Publisher: Artech Studios
    Format: Xbox
    Year: 2005
    Game Ranking: 72%
    A bunch of Teletubbies called Kewletts take it upon themselves to beautify thier world by exterminating anything or anyone who doesn't look as cute as they do. While attempting to escape from them, an ugly character called Raze stumbles onto an ancient artifact that helps him turn the tables. With an interesting concept having the cute guys being truely evil, the game mixes plenty of gore with an adult sense of humor.

Game: Under The Skin
    Developer/Publisher: Capcom
    Year: 2004
    Game Ranking: 58%
    A Japanese alien who talks by way of a hand puppet exiles a kid called Cosmi from Planet Mischief to the earth to practice trickery on unsuspecting humans. After zapping people with a DNA ray gun, Cosmi assumes their identity and pull pranks, trying to cause as much disruption as possible without being discovered in order to prove himself worthy enough to be brought home. Sound wierd enough?

Game: Finny the Fish
    Developer/Publisher: Natsume
    Game Ranking: 62%
    Finny is sent by a turtle sage to gather seven statues to ward off some impending evil. He needs to keep his energy up by catching and eating anything he finds along the way. Sometimes Finny will eat a fishing lure and literally has to get himself off the hook! He also needs to avoid being eaten by prey larger than himself. Natsume has a knack for bringing over some strange stuff.

Game: Robot Alchemic Drive
    Developer/Publisher: Sandlot
    Game Ranking 80%
    Giant robot games are common, but what makes this unique is how the PS2 pad is used to control the robot's every movement like a remote control device. Sandlot gave the game a great sense of scale and would use this experience later on to create the giant monster Earth Defense Force games that I enjoyed immensely too!

Game: Stubbs the Zombie
    Developer/Publisher: Wideload Games
    Format: Xbox
    Game Ranking: 75%
    Stubbs is a brain munching zombie who can pass gas to knock his victims out, throw gut bombs, and roll his own head like an explosive bowling ball. Not to mention he can tear peoples arms off to beat them with. His victims become zombies that he can control and creating a massive zombie army to terrorize the city makes this a weird but fun game!

Game: Bad Mojo
    Developer/Publisher: Pulse Entertainment
    Format: PC
    Year: 1996
    Game Ranking: 76%
    You play a man who's been turned into a cockroach and attempts to find out just what the Hell has happened to him! Nicely done with lots of puzzles to solve as a puny roach in a dark seedy dangerous environment. This game gets "borrowed" from me so much I can never get to finish it. I think one of my kids has it, even now!

Game: Pulirula
    Developer/Publisher: Taito
    Format: (JPN) Saturn & PlayStation
    An old man gives two children a "magic stick" to bash enemies, turning them into animals who scurry away. It's what goes on in the backgrounds that has to be seen to be believed!

Game: Finger Flashing
    Developer/Publisher: Affect
    Year: 1999
    A puzzle shooting game that you can play as either boy toting a rocket laucher or a girl with a magic wand magic. Simple, fun, addicting and beautiful artwork.

Game: Umiharakawase Shun
    Developer/Publisher: Japan Clary Jackpot
    Format: (JPN) Super Famicom & PlayStation
    A Japanese schoolgirl armed with a fishing pole hooks and slings herself up and across platforms to find doorways leading to new levels. Falling into the water will drown her and oddly enough, all of the fish she encounters are out of the water and blocking her way. By zapping them with her fishing lure, she can reel them into her creel.

Game: Rescue Shot
    Developer/Publisher: Namco
    Year: 2000
    You are trying to protect a goofy character who wanders about searching for his memory after falling off a cliff. Every oddball he meets along the way is trying to harm him and you not only need to keep them at bay, you also have to help him navigate his way over obstacles by shooting him in the ass to make him jump or shooting him in the back of the head to make him duck! One of the funnest lightgun games I've played.

Game: Two-Tenkaku
    Developer/Publisher: Club Dep
    Year: 1995
    This run of the mill shooter has one very unique feature. It's area bomb is a flamming bhudda! Why a developer would choose to turn someones diety, their holiest of holies, into a weapon of mass destruction is beyond me!

Quote Originally Posted by christhegamer
    well done! may I suggest A LOT more photos so that we could know what the game(s) look like in the wild?
    Oki-doke! In the order I've mentioned them, from left to right, minus Bad Mojo.

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll have to hunt down Lattice 200EC7!

Here's another weird one:

Lifescape (PSX, JPN) - More of an edutainment title, I'm pretty sure it is the only PSX game to have the following scene in it:

Strawberry (Level 2) Beefy Hits's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Slap Happy Rhythm Busters
    JP Playstation
    1998?
    Mix of Fighting and thythm.
    You don't have to be smart, you don't have to have all the facts, you just have to be confident.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Weird and/or unique games(1996-2006)

Isn't Stretch Panic something like Chameleon Twist (for the N64)?

Also, found this rofltastic minigame for Segagaga: Pengo (popcorn version) + Sokoban = ????

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Irritating Stick is a cool game! I wouldn't pay much for it though. maybe 10€
    Skullmonkey is a really cool game. It's a normal Jump & Run with clay graphics (like Paper Mario has paper graphics). Nothing special here.
    Kurushi (or IQ) is a funny game, I had many hours of fun with it.
    Devil Dice is another game I really like very much.
    "Unfortunately, people are not rebelling against Microsoft. They don't know any better."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Finny the Fish is an underrated game if you ask me. It's better than the 3d Ecco game to use a comparison with something vaguely similar.

Bad Mojo looks really cool. I will probably get the Redux version some day. I would like to try Rescue Shot too as I enjoy gun games quite a bit, especially ones that try something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Isn't Stretch Panic something like Chameleon Twist (for the N64)?
    I haven't played either of them in years but guess they have a similar grabbing technique. Stretch Panic is a far weirder game though.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Monster Farm Jump Arcade Temco, rating 74% (if you have a friend) 2 player VS race 3d smb type game really weird but cool.... oh yes and hoverboards just don't expect too much.

I don't know if it got a home port but it should have.

So is Stubbs worth it, I don't know it seems okay I like the combat aspect? I tried really average okay games like Freedom Fighters and Total Overdose recently, FF stank bad and TO was alright but nothing that special at all..... so I'm scared to take a chance on Stubbs.
    Go, go Ackman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ackman
    FF stank bad and TO was alright but nothing that special at all..... so I'm scared to take a chance on Stubbs.
    Are you sure it was FF that was smelly? You must have an allergy to semi-real-time RPGs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus
    Game: Robot Alchemic Drive
    Developer/Publisher: Sandlot
    Game Ranking 80%
    Giant robot games are common, but what makes this unique is how the PS2 pad is used to control the robot's every movement like a remote control device. Sandlot gave the game a great sense of scale and would use this experience later on to create the giant monster Earth Defense Force games that I enjoyed immensely too!
    Goddamn that was a great game. Isn't there a sequel to it? Did it get a North American release?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Looks like they got a sequel for it in Japan. Remote Control Dandy SF was released for the PS2 in 2005. There's already a cheaper Konami Best version out. I'd like to check into it myself. Here's a page with some decent screenshots......
    http://www.the-magicbox.com/0502/game050212c.shtml

You might also be interested in Sandlot's other giant robot remote controlled game for the PS2 called Tetsujin 28-Go. It's based on the Gigantor anime and has Bandai as the publisher in 2004. I wonder if Bandai holds the license for Gigantor games. They seem to have the rights to so much anime. Here's some screenshots for that one....
    http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/t...14&mode=recent

And I also see they are coming out with a giant robot game for the Nintendo DS called Chousoujuu Mecha MG. You can check that out here...
    http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/ch...ml?sid=6154337

Quote Originally Posted by Ackman
    So is Stubbs worth it, I don't know it seems okay I like the combat aspect? I tried really average okay games like Freedom Fighters and Total Overdose recently, FF stank bad and TO was alright but nothing that special at all..... so I'm scared to take a chance on Stubbs.
    It's hard to tell anyone if they'd like a game or not. I've been seeing some pre-played Stubbs selling for under $10.00, so you wouldn't be risking much to give it a try. It doesn't really play like a squad based tactical game, if that's what you are concerned about. The zombies you create by biting or scratching someone have a tremendous appetite for humans the moment they arise, which is about 2 seconds after death. They will search for food immediately and don't need any input from you to do so. I was suprised at how good their eyesight was because they would run after people who were so far away I could barely make them out. And if the first one who spots them yells "Brains!", all the other zombies nearby will lift up their heads to see which direction it's heading to and start shouting "Brains! BRAINS!" and go lumbering off. It's pretty funny to see, really. You can whistle for them to come to you and use that to sort of steer them in a direction you would prefer. But if no other food is visible, they will tend to follow you around anyway. Anyone they consume becomes a zombie also, but when their numbers start getting above a dozen or so, even whistling for them will only draw about half that number towards you.
    I was very suprised that the game was rated mature because the level of violence wasn't much different from the sort you would see in an episode of Itchy and Scratchy on the Simpsons. I've never seen a warning about the violence content of the Simpson's, let alone restricting viewers to 17yrs and above!
    You know what's strange about the game? If a zombie ever grabbed me to take a bite out of my skull, I might squeal like a little girl, I'd probably curse like a sailor, I'd definitely clench my buttocks so that I wouldn't re-animate into a zombie called Mr. Stinky Pants, but I would never blurt out a one-liner! That's how the game plays, like a parody or campy style game.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay after reading all that I'm sold.... Stubbs here I come.
    Go, go Ackman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater
    Game: Mister Mosquito
    Developer/Publisher: Zoom/Fresh Games(Eidos)
    Format: Playstation 2
    Year: 2001 JP/2002 NA
    Small correction: This game also had a EU release (don't know the exact date, but i can check my copy when i get home)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I was just being lazy and not including Euro release dates for stuff that came out in North America.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here are a few games that I consider very unique (they don't all fall into the 96-06 scheme):

"It's Only Rock 'N' Roll" for ColecoVision
    "Electroplankton" for Nintendo DS
    "3D Kalidescope: Baby Universe" for PSX (Non US?)
    "Cool Cool Jam" for Neo Geo Pocket (Non US?)
    "Goo Goo Soundy" for PSX (Non US I believe)
    "Jumping Flash 2: Big Trouble in Little Muu" for PSX

Anyone remember Jumping Flash 2? Great game, and HORRIBLY underrated.