Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird and/or unique games(1996-2006)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Weird and/or unique games(1996-2006)

I thought it might be fun to take a look at the weird and/or unique games of the past decade. I chose 50 that came to mind although there are many more, especially since I left out adult games, freeware games, the rhythm genre among other things. Some of these I haven't played yet so I'm very interested in more opinions.

So yeah, discuss and add more you feel should be mentioned.

Game: Odama
    Developer/Publisher: Vivarium/Nintendo
    Format: Gamecube
    Year: 2005 JP/2006 NA

I'm still waiting for the price to drop further so I haven't played it but a pinball/RTS hybrid that uses a microphone(or drums in Japan) seems weird enough.

Game: The Dark Eye
    Developer/Publisher: inSCAPE/Time Warner Interactive
    Format: PC
    Year: 1995 or 1996(I'm not sure but I'll include it anyway)

This adventure game based on the writings of Edgar Allan Poe is so uniquely disturbing in style. I lost interest in it after a while but I wouldn't mind giving it another try some time.

Game: Pepsiman
    Developer/Publisher: KID
    Format: Playstation
    Year: 1999

Product tie-ins in general are pretty lame but this is the exception. It's a simple and very enjoyable game of running and dodging. The live action cinemas are good for a laugh too. It's an import but there's no language barrier to worry about.

Game: Trauma Center: Under the Knife
    Developer/Publisher: Atlus
    Format: DS
    Year: 2005

Touchscreen surgery.

Game: Roommania #203
    Developer/Publisher: Wave Master/Sega
    Format: Dreamcast, Playstation 2
    Year: 2000

This probably isn't worth checking out if you don't know Japanese but it sounds different enough. It's sort of a god game where you affect some dude's actions. This review describes it in more detail - http://www.gamespot.com/dreamcast/st...03/review.html

Game: Killer 7
    Developer/Publisher: Grasshopper Manufacture/Capcom
    Formats: Gamecube, Playstation 2

I played all the way through this but it still seems like some illogical twisted dream or something. I loved it though.

Game: No One Can Stop Mr. Domino
    Developer/Publisher: Artdink/Acclaim
    Year: 1998

That's right. No. One.

Game: Pac-Pix
    Developer/Publisher: Namco
    Format: DS

Draw pacmen, bombs, arrows, etc. and have them come to life. This is one of best and most original uses of the DS's touchscreen.

Game: Gender Wars
    Developer/Publisher: The 8th Day/SCi
    Year: 1996

It's males vs. females in a fight for supremacy.

Game: Shadow of the Colossus
    Developer/Publisher: Sony
    Format: Playstation 2

Ico was a unique game in style but the gameplay wasn't drastically new(Fumito Ueda did learn some skills on an Amiga and I think he was probably exposed to games like Out of this World). SotC, on the other hand, does head into uncharted territory for game design. Battling giant living puzzle beasts has not been done before like this as far as I can tell, at least not having a whole game designed around the concept.

Game: Walk the Dog
    Developer/Publisher: Sega
    Format: Arcade

I can't think of any other video games using a leash and treadmill as a controller.

Game: Chulip
    Developer/Publisher: Punchline Studios/Natsume
    Year: 2002 JP/2006 NA?

This still isn't out in the West although it's supposedly still coming. The object of the game is to going around town kissing everyone to lift their spirits.

Game: The Neverhood
    Developer/Publisher: The Neverhood/Dreamworks

I still haven't played this but a claymation adventure game seems pretty cool to me.

Game: Incredible Crisis
    Developer/Publisher: Polygon Magic/Titus

It's a pretty simple mix of button tapping minigames but it's full of Japanese quirkiness.

Game: Jet Grind Radio
    Developer/Publisher: Smilebit/Sega
    Format: Dreamcast

Game: Normality
    Developer/Publisher: Gremlin/Interplay

I haven't played this adventure game and I don't think it came out in North America. I'm interested in more impressions as it seems pretty unique.

Game: Mister Mosquito
    Developer/Publisher: Zoom/Fresh Games(Eidos)
    Year: 2001 JP/2002 NA

You're a mosquito on a mission to suck blood from various people in their home. This has a sequel although it was left in Japan.

Game: Teenage Lawnmower
    Developer/Publisher: Robinson Technologies
    Year: 2003

Game: Katamari Damacy
    Developer/Publisher: Namco
    Year: 2004

Game: Stretch Panic
    Developer/Publisher: Treasure/Conspiracy
    Year: 2001

The game itself feels unfinished but the concept and art are neat. Grab them boobies!

Game: LifeLine
    Developer/Publisher: Sony/Konami

I'm tempted to buy this although I hear it's not that good. It's an adventure game controlled entirely by microphone.

Game: Majestic
    Developer/Publisher: Anim-X/Electronic Arts

The servers are long taken down for this monthly fee episodic game and it was never successful but it definitely tried new things. It was an adventure game that tried to incorporate "real life" elements by emailing, faxing and phoning you what to do next.

Game: Missing: Since January
    Developer/Publisher: Lexis Numerique/The Adventure Company
    Year: 2003 EU/2004 NA

I never did play Majestic because of the fee and the fact that it sounded kind of intrusive with the phoning aspect. Missing took some concepts from it and pulled off a great game. There are no monthly fees here, just a cool puzzle/mystery game in which you use the internet to solve puzzles(they set up various fake sites) and "people" communicating with you via email.

Game: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
    Developer/Publisher: Capcom Production Studio 4/Capcom
    Formats: GBA, DS, mobile
    Year: 2001(2005 for DS)

Game: Panzer Dragoon Saga
    Developer/Publisher: Team Andromeda/Sega
    Format: Saturn

The Panzer Dragoon universe already stands out for its art style but Saga stands out further because of its design, especially its semi real time flying battle system. In many ways PDS is the opposite of all the popular JRPG/Final Fantasy/whiny metrosexual character type games which could explain why it never sold well in Japan.

Game: Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
    Developer/Publisher: Oddworld Inhabitants/EA Games
    Format: Xbox

Besides being able to switch on the fly between FPS and platform/beat 'em up modes the whole theme is different. It's a weird fantasy version of the Wild West and you can use all kinds of odd creatures as weapons.

Game: Tail of the Sun
    Developer/Publisher: Artdink/Sony
    Year: 1997

I hated Artdink's Aquanaut's Holiday so I never risked buying this caveman sim but it seems to have some fans.

Game: The Last Express
    Developer/Publisher: Smoking Car Productions/Interplay
    Formats: PC, Mac

Especially when seen in motion there really isn't another game that looks like it. Design-wise it's different as well although certain aspects like time sensitivity and quicktime-ish action parts have been revisisted by more recent adventure games like Shenmue and Indigo Prophecy.

Game: Gekisha Boy 2
    Developer/Publisher: Irem

You take pictures of all kinds of wacky shit in the background. It's the sequel to the PC Engine game.

Game: Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
    Developer/Publisher: EAD Tokyo/Nintendo

It's a platformer controlled with bongo drums. It's also the best console platformer in years, IMO.

Game: Typing of the Dead
    Developer/Publisher: Smilebit/Sega
    Format: Arcade, Dreamcast, PC
    Year:

Game: Demolition Girl
    Developer/Publisher: Tamsoft/505 Game Street
    Year: 2004 JP/2005 EU

Take down the giant bikini clad chick.

Game: Xenogears
    Developer/Publisher: Square

My brain is still damaged from the story although I have forgotten most of it now. It's nearing time for me to play it again I think.

Game: Darwinia
    Developer/Publisher: Introversion Software/Valve
    Formats: PC, Mac

A mismash of styles and genres with influences from RTS games, TRON, '80s arcade shooters, Lemmings, etc..

Game: Rez
    Developer/Publisher: UGA/Sega
    Formats: Dreamcast, Playstation 2

Trippy game although I haven't tried the optional Trance Vibrator peripheral. That sounds like one of the oddest peripherals since Synapse's 1984 computer game Relax and its headband thingie.

Game: Elemental Gearbolt
    Developer/Publisher: Alfa System/Working Designs
    Year: 1997 JP/1998 NA

In a genre filled with Virtua Cop wannabees it's nice to see something fresh. Gearbolt's fantasy theme, RPG style upgrading, and soothing music make it something special and unique for gun games.

Game: Cubivore
    Developer/Publisher: Saru Brunei/Atlus
    Year: 2002

This is another one I'm waiting to find really cheap and I'm interested in more impressions.

Game: NiGHTS into Dreams
    Developer/Publisher: Sonic Team/Sega
    Format: Saturn

Game: Wario Ware inc. Mega Microgame$
    Developer/Publisher: R&D1/Nintendo
    Format: Game Boy Advance, Gamecube

While certainly not the first or only "minigames game" it does it will an odd style all its own. Sequels like Twisted and Touched added new elements.

Game: Ribbit King
    Developer/Publisher: Jamsworks/Bandai
    Format: Playstation 2, Gamecube

Frog golf = frolf. It's not as cool as Ninja Golf but what is?

Game: Seaman
    Developer/Publisher: Vivarium/Sega

Game: N.U.D.E.(Natural Ultimate Digital Experiment)
    Developer/Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios/Red/Microsoft
    Format: Xbox

I haven't played this import but it seems similar to Seaman in that it's a life simulation in which you interact via microphone.

Game: Space Station Silicon Valley
    Developer/Publisher: DMA Design/Take 2 Interactive
    Format: Nintendo 64

Game: Ore no Ryouri
    Developer/Publisher: Sony

Game: Uplink
    Developer/Publisher: Introversion Software/Strategy First

The fact that a mostly text based game was sold in the 21st century is odd enough. There have been other hacker sims in the past but they haven't been made quite the same way. I love the game but it's brutal in that your actions are being traced behind the scenes; hours of playtime can suddenly end if you get caught hacking.

Game: SGGG(Segagaga)
    Developer/Publisher: Hitmaker/Sega

Man, I hope this game gets a translation some day as it mixes in so many Sega characters and history. It's a simulation/RPG where you're a kid in charge of running Sega and bringing it back to profitability. If you're interested in seeing the ending, someone at the insertcredit forums put this up recently. Last boss battles do not get cooler than this.

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhhs5UpGrRE
    Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yz_Oi_6w0Q

Game: Real Sound: Kaze no Regret
    Developer/Publisher: Warp
    Formats: Saturn, Dreamcast

I'm not sure this even counts as a video game but it's too weird not to mention. It's essentially an "audio game" where you listen to a story and choose branching paths in the story from sound clues. It's all in Japanese though.

Game: Samorost2
    Developer/Publisher: Amanita Design

I think the first game might have always been freeware so I listed the sequel. I love the artwork in this Czech indie adventure game. It reminds me of certain cartoons and paintings but not of anything else in video gaming.

Game: Okami
    Developer/Publisher: Clover Studios/Capcom
    Year: 2005 JP/2006 NA?

This has been way high on my wanted list for a while. Judging from the demo it's one of the most artistically impressive games ever with its watercolour look.

Game: Boong-Ga Boong-Ga
    Developer/Publisher: NTS Soft.
    Format: Arcade

I don't think anything is going to top an ass poking simulation for this topic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about Billy Hatcher? I thought that was a unique game to a good degree.

Cool list you have though, it's a nice mixture of games new and old. I'm sure there's a good amount of games that can be added as well when others post about them.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn, a bunch of the pics don't show up. I'll try them again in this post:

*edit - they still don't work. If anyone wants to see screens of them I posted the same thread at TNL - http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/s...ad.php?t=42205

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

How about JJ and Jeff for an odd game? Breakdown on Xbox is waaay out there, as well as Kid Chameleon and Comix Zone. Oh don't forget Beyond Oasis and Legend of Oasis. Nothing is as odd as mixing The Legend of Zelda with Streets of Rage for gameplay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Another great topic NeoZeedeater. Proud to say I've played most of those games on the list.

And I just picked up Segagaga, looking forward to fumbling my way through some of it.

10 Others I'd add off the top of my head are:

It's Mr. Pants! - GBA (2005): greatest game name EVER

Rumble Box - PC (2005): Very unique beat em' up. Simplistic but fun.

Disaster Report - PS2 (2003): Unique premise on the action/puzzle game.

Planescape: Torment - PC (1999): Leveling up as a zombie was never so cool.

Psychonauts - Multiplatform (2005): Brilliant character design and story, totally unique visuals.

The Blazing Chef: Cooking Fighter Hao - PSX (1998): I haven't played it, but holy crap does it look awesome.

Twinkle Star Sprites - Saturn (1997): Totally unique take on the shmup geared on two player madness. Impossible to put down with a group of friends.

Urban Yeti - GBA (2005): One of the stranger premises in recent memory.

Magic Pengel/Graffiti Kingdom - (2003/2005) PS2: Draw your own monsters and make them duke it out? Puts a new spin on cock fighting.

Kingdom Hearts 1/2 - PS2 (2002/2006): Square properties mixed into a Disney universe? Madness. But boy does it work.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You forgot Vib Ribbon.

A Playstation game that you can put in any music cd in and the game generates levels from the music.

Release only in Japan and Europe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd also include N2O: Nitrous Oxide and Scud: The Disposable Assassin.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What do they have in common? They're, for the most half, either Japan only or completely ignored by so called 'mainstream' gamers.

What a pity.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great list, and it was very cool of you to include pictures!

I totally forgot about "The Dark Eye", I saw it on XPlay one time in a segment talking about "weird games" (obviously).

But I've always wanted to try it, maybe I can find a cheap copy somewhere if I'm lucky.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome thread. Thanks for reminding me about tails of the sun, I played it briefly when I was young and totally forgot about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ore no Ryouri is one of my favorite games... I got it when I was in cooking school and had more fun than in an actual kitchen. Pepsiman is good too, although the action gets repetitive after a while. The intermissions are gold, though.

My additions: any Chou Aniki game, especially the PS/SS version that uses live digitized actors. Very trippy and possibly homoerotic.

I don't know if this totally fits this list, but the "My Home Dream" games on PS and "My Home o Tsukurou" for PS2 are interior design and architecture simulations. Quite fun, too. You have clients you have to design houses and interiors for. Or, you can build your dream house and furnish it however you want.

Another PS game worth mentioning is Battle Konchuden, a game where you train and fight beetles. There's also a portable beetle game for GBA called "Boku no Kabutomushi" that focuses less on fights and more on races and the actual catching. Two solid titles to pick up if you're into bug games.

I also think any Parodius game would be a good addition to the list. Sexy Parodius is probably the most bizarre.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

i am supprised American McGee's Alice hasnt come up in this

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm gonna mention:

Three Dirty Dwarves
    The Parodious series
    Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2
    Tecmo's Deception series

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well done! may I suggest A LOT more photos so that we could know what the game(s) look like in the wild?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome thread! I've heard about a lot of these games but a lot are new to me so i should really find out more about them. I love hearing about wacky games.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Normality" i believe was released in the US because i read a review on it in PC Games. It features the voice talent of everyone's favorite Cory, Cory Feldman.

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
    As am I.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you are going to include Rez and N20, you need to include iS: internal Section.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
    The other game with American McGee's name on it, Scrapland, is pretty weird and unique too. I don't think he was involved with its development though.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Game: Irritating Stick
    Developer/Publisher: Saurus / Jaleco

IGN hits it on the nose:
    Quote Originally Posted by IGN
    "What the hell is an Irritating Stick?" you may ask, since the question's been drilling into your head the moment you read the title to this review. Well, simply put, Irritating Stick is a videogame version of that carnival game where you slap down a buck and try to maneuver a metal rod through a metal maze without touching the sides. More accurately, though, Irritating Stick is the US localized version of a Japanese PlayStation game based on Dengeki Iraira Bou (Irritating Electric Stick, for those that need the direct translation) -- a gameshow in Japan where you really do get electrocuted if you touch the sides."
    #vbender

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Real Sound: Kaze no Regret

Back in 1999 a Japanese company called Warp released what could be considered to be the very first big commercial audio game. The game's title was Real Sound: Kaze no Riglet (sometimes also Kaze no Regret) which translates into "Regrets in the Wind" or "The Riglet of the Wind". The game, that consists of 4 cd's (!), was only released in Japan for the Sega Saturn and the Dreamcast.
    The man behind Real Sound: Kaze No Riglet is Kenji Eno, Warp's president. He was inspired to work with sound after receiving letters from some fans in Japan who were blind. Kenji Eno is acknowledged as being one hell of a game designer for being very unconventional, although most western gamers probably haven't played too many of his games. The game is produced by Iino Ken Osamu and features a luxurious cast of Miho's Sugaya.

Since we haven't got a copy ourselves we can't tell you much about the actual gameplay. What we know is that the game is basically an interactive audio adventure game which revolves around a Tokyo Love Story. After finishing the story there isn't much replayability except to run the story again. The game originally didn't feature ANY graphics on the Sega Saturn. When it was released on the Dreamcast it featured two play modes, visual and classic. The visual mode contains a series of still photographs that will be shown at certain portions of the game. The classic mode gives one a blank screen as with the Saturn version.

Warp has also released several big hit titles like Enemy Zero and D2 (both visually very rich games). Some parts of Real Sound: Kaze no Regret made their way into these two games. In D2 there are long scenes in the game where there's only a black screen along with a lone voice, and the player has to continue the game in that mode. Late in the game your character is rendered deaf and then blinded by a boss- but the game still continues and the player experiences the same visual and auditory limitations the character experiences.

The game is quite attractive for collectors due to its extreme curiosity and the fact that it includes some very stranges attributes like braille-cards, a bag with seeds (to plant!) and an extra transparant box with cloud motive. You might be able to still buy copies on online auction websites like eBay.