Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PS3 could come in third in Next-gen battle?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS3 could come in third in Next-gen battle?

http://next-gen.biz/index.php?option...=3349&Itemid=2

a couple of quotes from the article:

It now appears clear that this new generation of console systems is going to result in a big shake-up in the game industry power structure. While it has always been clear that Sony's dominant market share was destined to decline, there now appears to be the distinct possibility the PlayStation 3 could end up third in market share behind both the Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii.
    However, it is more than just an issue of whether the PlayStation brand strength can justify a premium price. Of course, Sony would like to point to the hardware horsepower and extra features like Blu-ray. The problem is that is only one factor in our forecasting matrix. Furthermore, with the competition having features like Xbox Live and the Nintendo Wii controller, the PS3 may not have that much of an advantage in the elusive "Wow Factor."
    Also:

PS3 game cancelled due to high cost

http://consoles.gwn.com/news/story.php/id/9898/

In what seems like a continuing, and somewhat disturbing trend, more bad news came through today regarding a PS3 game Theseis.

According to PS3 Land, Managing Director Vicky Valanos told them the following: "If Sony were to offer us assistance in producing a PS3 version we would be more than happy to oblige!"

"We plan to develop Theseis for PC and Xbox360 in the near future. As for the PS3, we simply made a strategic decision to not move ahead because we deemed it not probable at this time."

Not probable due to what, Mr Valanos? Overwhelming development costs we assume since that is the reason they gave for the termination.

Could this be the first of many smaller third party developers to pull out of PS3 development? With the cost of developing on 360 and PC being relatively good, and Nintendo working closely with the smaller developers to release innovative new games for the Wii, Sony stands as the odd man out with their high-end PS3. This raises the question, will the PS3 only receive the big budget franchises, and games from major developers who can afford the expensive dev kits and ongoing costs? Only time will tell and we'll keep you up to date of any other small developers who pull the plug on PS3 titles because they can't afford it.

I think its time for a change anyway and would welcome the thought of the 360 or especially the Wii being the dominate console in the upcoming generation.

I just hope there wont be a crash before any of that happens

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

I agree it doesn't look good right now. I admit that I would like to see a more even playing field as Sony is getting cocky. But I don't want to see Sony go down or anything either.

All Sony needs to do is drop the price of the console to be inline with (or close to) the 360, and lose the "You'll eat it and you'll like it bitches!" attitude of it's executive staff...

Even if the PS3 games look noticably better than X360 games, they're only selling to the early adopter "Laserdisc" crowd with the current prices...

Nevertheless, PS3 will sell out until March 2007.

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Eh, I ain't buying one until it drops below $250. Fact is I won't buy any console unless it drops below $250. Well, except LE consoles. Damn sure i'd shell out the change for a Divers Dreamcast!

But $600 for something that'll be $200 in 2 years? Please. I'm not in that big of a hurry, and I got tons of old games to play. If something's expensive coz it's rare, that's one thing. But not because it's bleeding edge.

Anyway, I do think Sony's going to have a little problem this gen unless a special price drop happens. Maybe it's a part of their scheme -- get people used to a $600 tag, then before launch drop it to $450 or so. "Hey, it's cheaper now! We should get it!" Just a thought.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I'm getting closer and closer to saying fuck PS3 and just get a Wii, or goto the dark side and get a 360. Hell with the Wii being soo cheap I might just get both.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

The PS3 will be Sony's equivalent of the Atari 5200.

In 2 years, Sony will already be talking PS4.. They will deny all knowledge of it's (the PS3's) existence, and blu-ray will will go the way of the Betamax. You can buy a small, but decent HDTV for as much as Sony wants for a stand-alone player. No way in hell...

Plus Sony needs to stop running their arrogant little mouths.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyway, I do think Sony's going to have a little problem this gen unless a special price drop happens. Maybe it's a part of their scheme -- get people used to a $600 tag, then before launch drop it to $450 or so. "Hey, it's cheaper now! We should get it!" Just a thought.
    That would be absolutely genius, sir. I'd get one if it happened.

The problem I see with Sony is their attitude towards gamers. Well, make that the general 'consumer.' I mean hell, whenever Kenny speaks I feel like Sony is going to make me their bitch with their new fangled technology. Sony needs to stop acting like some second coming, and start acting a little more like this man:

Jacket/sweatshirt and all. Seriously.

"You will buy Blu-Ray, and you will enjoy Blu-Ray!"- Does anyone else get that feeling when they have a new announcement? x_x

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am willing to bet they will be in 3rd. Its good to cause Sony can finally get off there high horse and start being what they once were with the PS1. Sony got cocky after the Dreamcast died.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by digitalmouse
    That would be absolutely genius, sir. I'd get one if it happened.

The problem I see with Sony is their attitude towards gamers. Well, make that the general 'consumer.' I mean hell, whenever Kenny speaks I feel like Sony is going to make me their bitch with their new fangled technology. Sony needs to stop acting like some second coming, and start acting a little more like this man:

Jacket/sweatshirt and all. Seriously.

"You will buy Blu-Ray, and you will enjoy Blu-Ray!"- Does anyone else get that feeling when they have a new announcement? x_x
    Ah yes Lex Luthor. We should all follow him.

Seriously though i've been saying it since E3 05 when MS was honest and Sony showed insane renders, "People aren't gonna take this shit any more." Sure enough here we are and the PS3 is looking less and less likeable and the 360/Wii combo is looking strong then ever.

Let's face it 3rd-party exclusives are drying up and just about everything is gonna be on both the PS3 and the 360, But the 360 is much cheaper, has the established Live Network and you're only loss is Blu-Ray which may not even win the war anyways and simple isn't worth adopting this early.

The line in the sand isdrawn and sides have been chosen.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Holy shit, he does look like Lex.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 360/Wii combo looks attractive when it is the same price as one ps3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Thank god I'm ot the only one who saw the Lex Luthor similarities!

I agree - for Microsoft being the "evil" company that they are, they sure do appreciate us gamers, and don't talk down to us like were all 5 year olds, or like we have all this money to burn on their products.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anexanhume
    Everywhere I go I hear people saying this.

I think I'm leaning to that side as well. You got your 360 for the hardcore stuff, and the Wii for the wacky fun stuff.
    3,582 games and counting! Pics of tons of stuff!
    Come visit and sign the guestbook:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v48/SimplyDave/

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy
    Thank god I'm ot the only one who saw the Lex Luthor similarities!

I agree - for Microsoft being the "evil" company that they are, they sure do appreciate us gamers, and don't talk down to us like were all 5 year olds, or like we have all this money to burn on their products.
    I may hate Windows but I love Microsoft and the way they handle Xbox.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Simply Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Anexanhume
    Everywhere I go I hear people saying this.

I think I'm leaning to that side as well. You got your 360 for the hardcore stuff, and the Wii for the wacky fun stuff.
    Ditto. Microsoft and Nintendo are on the right path. This is the path I'm following.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

Developement costs seem to be the issue for the next generation. The $600 price tag will not last more than a couple years, probably less, and SONY has a 10 year lifecycle planned for the PS3. I think we need to worry about the price of the games the most. Many peoepl will not, cannot, pay $600, but as a piece of hardware it is worth more than that. The Blu-Ray twist is just Sony getting it's format into more households, and fighting off HD-DVD, too bad it drove up the systems cost.

The initial crop of games seem less impressive than the fall line-up of the 360, graphically, but they look damn good...

Later,
    Trebuken

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If for no other reason other than no video game company has been on top for more than two generations in a row, I would look for Sony to be anywhere except on top this go around. The (american) public is just seems to be fickle that way.
    http://www.maximumcrowe.net/maximumc...outhpark3.jpeg

I bet Tugger wants to hear a song off me new album!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I fully agree with everybody here. If Sony dosen't change their attitude towards the PS3, the third time will definetely not be the charm.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, this is all shocking isn't it? It seems to be a consensus viewpoint that Sony really F'd things up for themselves this time. Man, it's going to be very shocking for them not to come out on top. I mean for Sony as a company. They are going to be like in a state of shock when they first realize that they have no chance at the No. 1 spot.

Still, while Sony is definitely looking at losing the clear cut No. 1 market share that they've enjoyed for 11 years straight, they aren't necessarily out of the picture. The $600 price is huge, more from a mental standpoint than anything. We all know that ultimately in the United States, it's the casuals that end up deciding who wins the console wars. Whichever system the casuals end up flocking to, is the one that get's the No. 1 share. And even though Sony will be sold out of PS3's well into Spring 97 or even Summer 97, the casuals will be in somewhat of a state of shock when they actually see the price tag of the PS3 at a Wal-Mart or in a Best Buy Sunday ad. I mean can you imagine what Joe Casual gameplayer will think when he first sees and ad for the Playsation 3, and sees the price of $599.99? He's going to immediately think, damn, they must be crazy to sell a game machine for that much. Then in the same ad, he's going to see the 360 price of $349.99 for the premium and the Nintendo Wii at $229.99. Then what is he going to think?

Because even though Sony is only going to have systems for the early adopters and hardcore crowd, what the casuals think about the PS3 is going to matter. What they perceive is going to matter. Even though there isn't going to be one available to sell to them, there initial "take" with the PS3 and it's pricepoint is going to matter, mentally. Subliminally. That is why they are dead in the water. Plus just think about 10 million 360's installed worldwide before the single PS3? That is a huge factor. I know it's a played out factor, but it's a real factor, and that's why Microsoft loves to talk about it, because it really is a feather in their cap. If you are the average 3rd party developer, where are you going to be focusing? The 360 with like 15 million worldwide owners (by late January 1997) or the PS3 with maybe 3 million (if they're lucky to be able to produce that many). It's simple math. The 3rd parties will flock to the 360 in droves. Some of the bigger 3rd parties will still supply Sony with certain games, but ultimately they will defect as well. Just like when Square left Nintendo for the PS1. It seemed unthinkable, and then it happened, because of the market forces. Same thing will happen here.

Peach (Level 3) Princess-Isabela's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

whats with this stuff?:

"Sony will be sold out of PS3's well into Spring 97 or even Summer 97"

we're not in the 21st century yet, eh? ^_~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

I don't think anyone I've talked to personally is even thinking about buying a PS3 a launch, let alone a year later. It's sad, but Sony thought they could do know wrong, and threw out the high price tag. Now this gen they will pay for it. ANd honestly, I dont see it selling out even to the hardcore gamers at launch.