Thread: What are your feelings on self-cut styros?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What are your feelings on self-cut styros?

Like the subject, what do you guys think about cutting styro for boxed games? It's really easy to get a nice, clean, original-looking styro rectangle by purchasing a sheet of insulating styrofoam from Home Depot and cutting it into rectangles.

However, it is, of course, not an original piece, and won't look EXACTLY the same (different texture).

I see a lot of games being sold missing the styro, and there was that vendor selling replicas. It's really easy and dirt cheap to just do it yourself though (although somewhat messy).

Any opinions?
    - "Do you have Friends: Season One on VHS?"
    - "These are Nintendo games ma'am"
    - "How about Season Two?"
    - "Sure, here it is, just make sure you shove it in the VCR really hard..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i personally have no issue with homemade styro for NES games. i know that CueWarrior had some made up not too long ago and was selling them. sold quite a bit to board members, if i recall.

i didn't have any need for them when he was selling them, but now it seems i need a few... hmm.
    My Website | #VBender | Last.fm
    Part of the #vbender crew
    [21:39] <Ze_ro> Perkar: Put "Official #vbender Slut" in your sig.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Perkar
    i personally have no issue with homemade styro for NES games. i know that CueWarrior had some made up not too long ago and was selling them. sold quite a bit to board members, if i recall.

i didn't have any need for them when he was selling them, but now it seems i need a few... hmm.
    I can make some for ya. I'd only charge for shipping + the actual cost of the styro.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It doesnt matter imo. Its not like the value sink any because you have made your on styros (i asume your talking about NES games). Styros also gives the box a better shape if you know what i mean.

There is a guy here thats selling (or atleast sold) NES styros.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, he was the one I saw selling them a little while ago.

And yes, NES games. I guess I should have said that :P

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

thats probably something I would do for my own boxed games I have that are missing the styro piece. I know its not the original but it does help to keep the box from getting crushed. So I guess for protection purposes I would do it. If I were to be selling or trading I'd just note that i cut the piece myself to replicate the original boxed form and mostly just to keep it from getting crushed. especially if you have them stcked on top of each other, it keeps the tower of them from sitting awkward and tumbling down. I don't know if it would be worth selling sets of 5 pieces or something like that on e-bay cause if they weren't original, anybody could make it themselves.

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A person at home can't possibly cut the styros so that they look as good or better than the originals. This is why I paid a styrofoam company to make them.

I think it's worth it, and everybody who's bought them seems to agree.

Incidentally, there's now another Ebay seller selling my styros so he must agree too.
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666
    thats probably something I would do for my own boxed games I have that are missing the styro piece. I know its not the original but it does help to keep the box from getting crushed. So I guess for protection purposes I would do it. If I were to be selling or trading I'd just note that i cut the piece myself to replicate the original boxed form and mostly just to keep it from getting crushed. especially if you have them stcked on top of each other, it keeps the tower of them from sitting awkward and tumbling down. I don't know if it would be worth selling sets of 5 pieces or something like that on e-bay cause if they weren't original, anybody could make it themselves.
    This was my thought. I wasn't planning on doing it for a profit, just for my own games or games I sell.

How about this question. If you received a CIB game, and noticed that the texture of the styro inside was not original, would you be pissed?

Quote Originally Posted by CueWarrior
    A person at home can't possibly cut the styros so that they look as good or better than the originals. This is why I paid a styrofoam company to make them.

I think it's worth it, and everybody who's bought them seems to agree.

Incidentally, there's now another Ebay seller selling my styros so he must agree too.
    I agree. They aren't "perfect", although they're damn close (except, again, the texture).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, to answer your question, I suppose I would do it for my own games, but I wouldn't sell CIB games without informing the buyer that the styro inside was "home made".
    DP Feedback

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, to answer your question, I suppose I would do it for my own games, but I wouldn't sell CIB games without informing the buyer that the styro inside was "home made".
    What about the ones your factory made? Would you inform about that? (This question might sound rude, but thats not my intention at all, its just a normal question )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, I prolly won't bother. They're perfectly straight and perfect. Nobody would be likely to notice that they weren't original. However, I don't care how skilled you are with a knife or whatever, you're not going to cut those straight enough to "fool" anyone.

However, I do specify when I sell them that they're professional reproductions, whereas that seller I mentioned actually sells them as official Nintendo product.
    DP Feedback

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

if I bought a game that was CIB and i noticed that the styro piece wasn't the original texture or anything like that, I really wouldn't care. But thats comming from me, the guy who will buy disk only copies of rare games to save money and will buy nes games that have little Joey's name written on it in magic marker. I'm only anal about my games to the point where they have to work, and they can't have any cracks or un-identifyable labels on them. Its true you probably can't get the foam pieces absolutely perfect at your house, but if you make a stencil piece and used an exacto knife, you can probably get it pretty damn close.......but then again I'd just be putting them in my own boxes for my own collection or letting the buyer know i cut it up and put it in there.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, I prolly won't bother. They're perfectly straight and perfect. Nobody would be likely to notice that they weren't original. However, I don't care how skilled you are with a knife or whatever, you're not going to cut those straight enough to "fool" anyone.
    I cut them with a straight-edge and a hacksaw blade. The hacksaw blade makes the edges nice and sharp (as opposed to using a knife, which "crushes" the styrofoam). The straight-edge keeps them pretty damn straight. I'll bet you couldn't tell the difference

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Either way

After some trial and error, I was able to replicate the original styro inserts for the NES boxes.
    Finding the correct size (thickness), density and size of pellets was more of a challenge.
    Using a ULTRA sharp 2" blade (surgical scapple) and a straight edge, I was very pleased with the results.

I purchased styros from quewarrior because it was convenient.

The replacements are for my own collection, not to be re-sold or sold as CIB "complete".

Either way, I can't tell which ones are replacements (mine or quewarriors) or originals.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Stupidity got us into this mess......why can't it get us out?
    -Will Rogers-

Play Fair, It's Only A Game!