Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What Games Are Overrated to You? Underrated?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to say that the Zelda series is sooooo overrated. I have tried most of them and get really bored fast.
    My System History in order of purchase: Coleco Vision - Master System - Genesis - Game Gear - Sega CD - 32X - Saturn - Nomad - PS1 - Dreamcast - PS2 - DS - PS3 (60GB) - PSP - 360.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ThoughtBomb

A game that was not as well recieved as it should have been? Klonoa Lunatea's Veil (PS2) or Primal (PS2). Also, I don't think that Whoopee Camp studios is still around, but I'd LOVE to see a new next-gen Tomba game.
    Dude, I JUST finished collecting every jewel for every stage for the picture book in Klonoa. I was actually thinking how PSOne had Klonoa, PS2 had Klonoa 2, so hopefully PS3 will see a 3rd installment. Klonoa did a lot of things that Sonic nor Mario ever did, plus the story, though whimsical still had more immersion than "Crazy Turtle Man wants to steal the princess from you" or "Crazy Fat Giant Moustached Man wants to capture animals for his bidding". No offense to anyone because I love those games, but once again, overrated.
    Oh no! The truck have started to move!!

Strawberry (Level 2) FrakAttack's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Overrated - Metal Gear. There are so many things wrong with the series, but the long-winded, drama queen bosses make the whole thing laughable. Am I playing a game or watching an episode of Dr. Phil?

Underrated - Metal Marines. Nice little turn based/real time strategy hybrid on the SNES. The PC desktop game expanded the theme a little further, but I would love to have seen this grow into a console franchise.
    "Ambitious, but rubbish."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well might as well get my first post out of the way..

Overrated:

Final Fantasy Series - sure they're decent games, but they're not great games like people make them out to be, especially with FF7. i actually prefer FF8 and 9 to FF7.

Halo series - It's a generic FPS that didn't provide anything unique.

GTA series - It's only fun because of the tank cheat code. :P

World of Warcraft - Do I really need to say anything...

Underrated:

Megaman Series (present games) - Back in the day the blue bomber was awesome, now people who just get introduced to the series always say the games are crap and/or boring. I may hate the Battle Network series but I love the Zero and ZX series.

Rayman - I haven't played the newer ones, but Rayman 1 and 2 I felt were awesome fun games, even if not many people cared for the series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Overrated:

Metal Gear Solid series--the true explanation for how bad this series is: after every magazine/website in the world rewarded the games with high marks, they spent the entire time building up to the next game discussing all the flaws from the previous game. For instance: why wait a couple months after giving MGS2 a really good score to finally tell us that the story was confusing, the cut scenes were long and boring and you hated having to finish the game with Raiden? Shouldn't you have mentioned all of this during your review?

Final Fantasy series--it's an rpg game thats different from all other rps games because...it's called Final Fantasy and the others aren't

Super Mario 64--ok for it's time but never truely memorable and horribly outdated

Seaman--what the fuck???

Underrated

Syphon Filter series(PS1, PS2, PSP)--much better than the MGS series IMO and deserves a bigger marketing campaign

Bust A Groove series(PS1)--we got this game in the US before DDR finally arrived and these are extremly enjoyable, but you have to play them with the controller

Otogi series(Xbox)--kind of like a cross between Shinobi, Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry, not too many people know about this series and thats a shame because it's really good
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Kumori-kun

I've always been a huge Platformer fan, they aren't to popular in todays market but some of my favorite oldies are underrated and probably always will be

Underrated

Skies of Arcadia (dreamcast)- one of the best RPG's of all time in my opinion which deserves a true sequal but we will probably never see one...

Astal (saturn) - Astal is one of my favorite 2D platformers of all time

Rayman (saturn/psx) - Another one of my favorite 2D platformers which never gets the recognition it deserves.

Three Dirty Dwarves (saturn) - The first game I ever owned on the system, and still of of my top games of all time - a game which I never hear getting any recognition

Overrated -

GTA (any) - I never enjoyed this series much - and I don't understand why people love it so much - after 15 minutes of stealing cars it gets very redundant and boring.

I'm sure there are more, just cant think of any at the moment
    Some things never die....Give me all your Sega belongings!!!

Great Puma (Level 12) Chainsaw_Charlie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Overrated

Final Fantasy 7(ps1)

It's NOT that's a bad game but gets way too much over necessary fanboyish hype when it clearly isnt even the best FF (8 or 9) released on the PS1 much less the best Square Enix game (DW 7) for the system.

Underrated

Secret of Stars(snes)

Tecmo didnt release many rpgs and this little gem is great

Spike Mcfang(snes)
    Paladins Quest(snes)
    Robotrek(snes)
    Ar Tonelico 1,2 (ps2)
    Saiyuki Journey west(Ps1)
    Hotel Dusk room 215(DS)
    Wild Arms XF(psp)
    My rotating want list http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101550

Your television doesn't care how angry you are with it. Turn it off and find something better to do with your time.-Beserker

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

overrated

little big planet.

Hear me out, essentially it's a toolbox or if you want to go a little further a platformer SDK. I've give it the credit it's deserves, the community did make some good stuff. but it's a platformer with crappy jump physics. I guess the only reason I feel it was overrated was the overwhelming abundance of good will (for a while I compared the coverage to my friends as "obama-ish") it got from the gaming press. If this wasn't a 60 dollar retail title, I wouldn't have been inclined to deem the game overrated.

Insert Coin (Level 0) NoobSaibot's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gunstar989

HALO...

Kill aliens. A typical shooter. Story is boring. Online play = Nothing special. win.

Oh yea and Twisted Metal 2 is underrated. And so is 3-D World Runner (NES). Actually wrote a little about it on here: http://www.dustykartridge.com/2009/0...unner-nes.html
    Last edited by NoobSaibot; 07-29-2009 at 12:22 PM.
    Fan of classic gaming? Check out 'The Dusty Kartridge' Follow us!
    News, reviews, discussions, debates, controversies, and more - behind classic games

www.dustykartridge.com

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Earthbound is overrated to me.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o2william
    Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES) - Many people like it, but many don't because it didn't start out as a true Mario game and the gameplay reflects that. But I love it!
    I like it.

The music is quite catchy and it will forever remind me of getting sick over x-mas break in 1991.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye
    Earthbound is overrated to me.
    Me too.
    It's an ok game, and I'd pick it up if I saw it in a bargain bin, but it certainly didn't warrant him being in Super Smash Bros. Meelee

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm resurrecting this thread to express how much I've hated Final Fantasy (NES) and Final Fantasy 2 (SNES). I played FF1 years ago to see what the fuss was about. I'm trying FF2 because I hear FF3 is a masterpiece, and I may as well do them in order.

Well, I'm just not into it. I've gotten pretty far thanks to my boundless persistence. But this also includes trying to break my controller in half and screaming into pillows.

I thought video games were supposed to be fun and enjoyable, not so stressfully frustrating that you have a headache. I'm going to continue to try to finish FF2, but once that's done, I probably won't be playing it ever again, I hate it that much.

And to other overrated games... I hate almost all sports games. Not because almost all lot sales include a few of them which you already have, but I just don't find them that fun. Even when I'm drunk and winning, I get very little enjoyment out of sports games, especially NHL, and I'm a huge hockey fan. I suppose it's the lack of accomplishment that bothers me. You can win, but all it gives you is temporary bragging rights.

Underrated... most of my faves are rated fairly appropriately. Ones that I love that don't get the recognition: GI Joe (NES), Adventures in the Magic Kingdom (NES), Human Cannonball (2600).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Overrated:

Conker's Bad Fur Day - Sub-par platformer that only got attention for its curse words and poop jokes. Seriously, a cartoon squirrel talking about getting drunk and taking a shit really isn't that funny.

Myst - I like a lot of adventure games, but Myst just about put me to sleep. One of the most mind-numbing games I've ever played.

Super Mario 64 - I still don't get the big deal about this game. The level design is repetitive and sucky, the camera is atrocious, the boss battles suck ass, and the whole idea of collecting stars is just lame game design. I know its 3D-ness was important at the time, but seriously, even Bug! and Alpha Waves did a better job of bringing platformers to the third dimension.

Sonic Adventure - Sonic should not be in an adventure game. The adventure parts were boring, the camera was crap, the non-Sonic gameplay was decent to horrible (Big the Cat especially sucked), and I was annoyed at the framerate of 30fps. Some smart level design and an appealing plot don't save it from mediocrity.

Half-Life - Not horrible by any means, but it gets too many heaps of praise. A lot of the things it is praised for are no big deal IMO. People said it was immersive and involving, but I didn't find it to be so. The environments lacked interaction and you don't really get to make any game-affecting decisions. It also had some really lame level design, taking place in very generic locations.

Underrated:

SiN - I first played Half-Life right after playing SiN. I was not impressed with Half-Life, and I still think SiN is amazing.

Dragon's Lair 3D - Aside from some control issues, I found this game to be very engaging and extremely fun. I don't really get what everyone else's problem with this game was.

Fatal Rewind / The Killing Game Show - One of the most intense action games I've ever had the pleasure of playing.

Gain Ground - It moves slow, but mentally, this game is fast-paced. Easily one of the most addictive games ever made, to me.

Liberation: Captive II - Way ahead of its time. It's hard to believe that this game came out when people thought Star Fox was impressive. The gameplay is very involving and complex. Innovative in a number of ways, and the plot is pretty interesting too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Overrated:
    Resident Evil 4 (GC, Wii, PS2) - The game was good, but it went more action-adventure than horror since it didn't scare me as much. On top of that, ganados and zealots designs weren't nearly cool as the zombies and monsters of previous resident evil titles (with the exemption of a few).

Final Fantasy 12 (PS2) - The game was an advertisement for FF 11. The story was bland. The gameplay wasn't that much different than MMORPGs (real or pseudo). It's another sinking stone in Square's decline as try to hopelessly prove that graphics will pawn all games.

Underrated

I have so many underrated classics and modern games that I can't keep with the names in my mind. But from the top of my head...

The Guardian Legend (NES) - The biggest sleeper on the NES. A game combining Zelda's exploration, Metroid's female-like leading role, Megaman's assortment-like weapons, and the action-packed adrenline rush of shmup games. It's an experience like no other as you journey through the maze-like corridors, riddled monsters and robots, of the planet-like spaceship, Naju, for the seals of a self-destruction bomb to prevent a collision course with Earth.

Vagrant Story (PS1) - Square's sleeper hit for the Playstation. This is what FF 11 and 12 should have been modeled after. It combines RPG elements, such as, great story, interchangable weapons, and good-old monster bashing, and action-adventure elements, such as exploration, jumping, and intense fighting. As well as adding new elements with triggered and counter abilities and selecting which part of the body to strike. Coupled with graphics that rivaled even some PS2 games.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Overrated: GTA 3, and all its sequels; The Halo series and the Final Fantasy series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ThoughtBomb

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkster View Post
    I'm resurrecting this thread to express how much I've hated Final Fantasy (NES) and Final Fantasy 2 (SNES). I played FF1 years ago to see what the fuss was about. I'm trying FF2 because I hear FF3 is a masterpiece, and I may as well do them in order.

Well, I'm just not into it. I've gotten pretty far thanks to my boundless persistence. But this also includes trying to break my controller in half and screaming into pillows.

I thought video games were supposed to be fun and enjoyable, not so stressfully frustrating that you have a headache. I'm going to continue to try to finish FF2, but once that's done, I probably won't be playing it ever again, I hate it that much.
    First off I'm a casual RPG fan and have to say that I was like the many that played FFVII first and thought it was very good, since then I played FFVI (originally released years ago as FFIII on SNES) which I would highly suggest to anyone who's a fan of ol-school RPG's or a fan of FF. I tried to go back and play the first and I couldn't take it. Mind you, I love old school games but it just plain stunk. My point is when it comes to the FF series, you don't need to play every single one. Not just because none of them are cohesive (with the exception of FFX-2), but because not all of them are good. Despite my growing fandom of the series, I will still agree that it doesn't deserve all the attention it gets.
    Oh no! The truck have started to move!!

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Overrated-any EA sports game (I know they can do better) and Sonic the Hedgehog

Underrated-Dusty Diamond's All-Star Softball (NES), Blast Corps (N64), Shenmue I and II

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

While I have yet to play Halo 3, I've always found Halo and Halo 2 (which I did play a fairly extensive amount of on the original XBOX) to be generally over-rated.

I'm not saying the games "sucked" ... in fact, they're very compitent, and technically sound titles deserving of well above average critical scoring.

I just don't quite understand the "mass appeal" that they seem to have garnered (especially amongst non-gamers and non-FPS enthusiasts) over the years.

As far as FPS games go, they didn't to THAT much to advance the genre except bring that elusive sense of "cultural awareness" and "synonimity" (the same way people say "kleenex" instead of tissue, and "xerox" instead of photocopy) that no other FPS before it ... except DOOM maybe, has been able to.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Cow View Post
    -Asteroids (can't remember). I hate this game. I hate the control, I hate everything. Galaga is so much better.
    You're comparing apples and oranges. Galaga forces you to work in only 1-dimension (move left or right). Asteroids let's you move in any direction you please. Asteroids gives more freedom

Overated

Final Fantasy 7

Underated

Final Fantasy 6 (nee 3 on super nintendo)