Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SNES "No Escape"...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SNES "No Escape"...

I recently grabbed this game loose for $5. What a crappy crap title. They AI is so cheap, constantly throwing enemies at you until you die. I haven't even seen past the very first level. I guess it being an R7 is a good thing, but man does this game suck.

I have actually never seen it before anywhere...and none on ebay either. Anybody else have this title?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found out about the game from just scrolling through a list of SNES ROMs and randomly picking one to play. Prior to playing the game, I'd never heard of it or the movie it was based on, and after playing the game I haven't got any inclination to ever track down the cart or the movie.

Control was pretty crappy and as you said, the game was just cheap as fuck. I put a little time into enjoying it but quit once it became apparent that the game was just crap

edit - well at least the developers are pretty consistant. Die Hard Vendetta, lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, this game was yet again a very poor attempt to cash in on a movie license. Odd thing is that they chose a movie that wasn't all that great either as far as I have read....I never actually saw the movie myself. Maybe I'll hunt it down one day just to see if the movie is as bad as this title!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It is rare, but I've seen it on eBay. I got mine for $6... have yet to play it, but this thread makes me want to... I'll post back here with thoughts later on...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got this game in a transaction with the mighty Kamino. It is quite a turd.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also have the game, and have watched the movie, it's worth watching (but i say that about every movie - except Vanilla Sky, i was close to killing myself after it ended, just terrible!... everything was plastic, charaters, acting, the script, the storyline, everything! it's hard to describe, i'v watched so many movies and some good some bad, but after Vanilla Sky i felt so lost and empty? i was...?? 2 hours? for what!! Agggghhhh) Flashback over!

----Mini Movie review----

Anyway 'NO ESCAPE', it's the movie with Ray liotta (good fellas, etc and also a great actor IMO) it's about an island prison system / Evil prison Governer / with Robbins (liotta) going against the system/Guvner, It's also a pretty fast paced movie at times, it's no slow burner, then there's the usual good/bad/normal/prisoners, then there's the bad evil prisoners, that live on the other side of the island that clash with Robbins/and the regular prisoners, The movie also has abit of a twist near the end.

But you'll have to watch the movie to see it. If you have an hour or two it's worth it. the movie is Farrrrr! More entertaining then the poor Snes title bearing the same name! as always the game never touches the movie! (apart from catwoman! lol)

----End of movie review----

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This game is actually pretty good compared to most movie cash-ins from around that time. What is cool is how you can do the levels in almost any order you want and they're broken into seperate sections that you can start from the menu inbetween going to the town/etc. Also it's cool how you can barter the various items you find in the levels with the people in the town to get other items you can combine in various ways to make various OTHER items and weapons.

Downside is that it's a Prince of Persia type game except with dozens of enemies constantly running at you. With less enemies and tighter hit detection this would have been great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default I have one....

I have one(cart), and would be more than willing to trade it for the Genesis(boxed) one. The Snes version is more rare.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Rasa
    This game is actually pretty good compared to most movie cash-ins from around that time. What is cool is how you can do the levels in almost any order you want and they're broken into seperate sections that you can start from the menu inbetween going to the town/etc. Also it's cool how you can barter the various items you find in the levels with the people in the town to get other items you can combine in various ways to make various OTHER items and weapons.

Downside is that it's a Prince of Persia type game except with dozens of enemies constantly running at you. With less enemies and tighter hit detection this would have been great.
    Ahhh good ole Rasa. (on a side note why did you stop posting at NG, brah? At least I haven't seen you post there in YEARS)

Well, I'm about to try this game out, and it's nice to get one person who halfway liked this game. I was beginning to think this might be a total dud. (IMO when a game is 99.9% bashed all around -- chances are it really sucks, this is ESPECIALLY true of SNES games I have found out)

Will post back with my own thoughts on No Escape.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's no Demon's Crest but for what it tries to do it's not half bad.

Man NG.com, it just got to the point where anyone I enjoyed talking to on there was available on some other form of communication.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a funny little story about this game and some recent trips of mine to a flea market. I was at this one flea, at a video game store that does business there, and they had No Escape for SNES for $5 for a loose cart. I remembered that it was somewhat rare for a SNES game, so I offered the dude $3 for it. The dude said, sorry, $5 take it or leave it.

So I left.

Then the next week, I came back to the same flea and checked out that little store again, and this time instead of $5, they had it at $9. I'm pretty certain that it was because I happened to pick it up and ask them about it. They figured that I was a collector, and that I must have known something about that game that they didn't know.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seems to be a running theme with this games price.

My bro picked it up for 5$s a few years ago.(SNES version)
    I own it now for free.

In anycase it was REALLY hard but i didn't think it was as bad as every one makes it out to be.

Then again i use to enjoy Shaq Fu....

And i haven't played No Escape in a few years.
    R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

http://www.rfgeneration.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I spent 35 minutes with it tonight.

1st impressions: God damn the first couple posters were right -- this game SUUUUUUUCKS!

Played it some more, i.e. stuck with it instead of immediately turning it off

2nd impression: hey it's actually not too shabby for what it tries to do. I still am unsure about the trading system and how to use the weapons or combine them... but even if I'm limited to punching kicking and jumping -- I can see that, although flawed as it is, No Escape might just be worth keeping. It's a game that requires some patience and will reward the dedicated gamer.

Graphics are definitely poor, but the gameplay, despite some control stiffness, isn't shabby.

Turd it is not. Pit Fighter -- now there's a turd!

Anthony, heh, I think you should have just bought it for $5. To me, any SNES game I have even half interest in, is worth $5. It's when they want $7 or more that I ask myself:

a. how rare is it

b. how badly do I want it

funny story though. Those guys were definitely somewhat savvy to have marked it up the next week.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

I tried it myself..

it reminds me of a mix of congo and brahm stroker's dracula.

I would invest more time in it if it didn't have the constant stream of thugs showing up one after another, otherwise it seems fun..might be a fun game to mess around with game genie on or something though.

might have to track the cart down someday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256
    I tried it myself..

it reminds me of a mix of congo and brahm stroker's dracula.

I would invest more time in it if it didn't have the constant stream of thugs showing up one after another, otherwise it seems fun..might be a fun game to mess around with game genie on or something though.

might have to track the cart down someday.

good call on the Congo/BS' Dracula call. Now that you mention it, you're right. It has the graphic look of Dracula plus the weird control tightness feel. And the Congo jungle atmosphere. It does like a fun game to mess with the GG on.

I think I'll keep my copy.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Something notable about the game is that the constant stream of thugs isn't really an issue after the first level (which you never go back to). The rest of the game is more along the lines of the later levels of Wolf Child with lots of single stationary/patrolling type enemies you have to get by/take out.

If the money spent to get the No Escape (WHY?!) movie license went towards some more development time it would have been really good.

The music really did keep me playing for a while I have to admit. Very catchy early SNES type stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Rasa that's good to hear about the first level's constant stream of endless enemies chasing you being just that -- in the 1st level. It really turned me off when they were coming by the waves like that. Good to know the rest of the game is not like an ant-fest toward sugar out in the open :P

How do you get by the tree level? I'm unsure what to build and what weapons to carry. I can't find a way to reach higher ground -- I end up getting killed or exiting the level to play another one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll have to re-visit this cart again tomorrow. The constant stream of enemies in that first level is what REALLY put me off on the game. I just can't stand when games do this, but it's good to know that it actually STOPS.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah the first level is supposed to offer the "heart pounding tension!" of the movie by forcing you to just run like hell and jump over those pit traps and stuff. Once you beat it you're in the town menu and the real game starts.

I love the slow motion bullet heading towards stunned-looking guy bit of the intro cutscene.

Anyways Steve in the tree level you have to hit various switches to trigger elevators/open up platforms. I'm pretty sure I beat this level first (maybe it was the Techno Knights level though).

Each level has several stages to it, what's cool is when you beat one you can go back to the town and then go to a sub-map for each level to start at a specific area. You can't go straight through any entire level in one go I don't think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by zektor
    I'll have to re-visit this cart again tomorrow. The constant stream of enemies in that first level is what REALLY put me off on the game. I just can't stand when games do this, but it's good to know that it actually STOPS.
    same here. It reminded me of how mr. BONES opened up with a chase scene. I'm guessing the many people who dislike this game and call it a turd never sat down with the "meat" of the game for too long. I can't believe how this silly game has grown on me. It's funny how sometimes the opposite valid opinion of a fellow gamer can persuade you to hang in tight, and you actually discover you like the game halfway, compared to when you previously said "AH TO HELL WITH IT!"

Rasa next time I pop NE in I'll have to kick around and see if I can activate the switches. If only the controls were tightened up some and the graphics actually resemble 16-bit... this game could have been a real sleeper hit.

I do like Ray Liotta (Field of Dreams, John Q) so I'll probably rent No Escape the movie at some point...

Back to the game quickly though. You know when I started thinking "yeah, this game's kinda sweet?" was when I was at the level with the electric machines where ya gotta kick them to disable them.

This savage who blows poison darts at you -- he blew one coming toward my neck. I ducked, rolled, kicked him while ducking, rolled to his other side, kicked him, meanwhile he turns to face me to kneel down himself to blow a dart, and I simply rolled to his other side to evade the dart and kick him until he was defeated.

Pretty sweet stuff :P