Thread: Rare Xbox Games

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

spartacus, thanks for the comprehensive list, great job!

Two notes:

"Outlaw Golf Holiday Golf" listed under 'Blockbuster exclusives' is actually a ToysRUs exclusive (it is the same game as the Blockbuster "9 Holes of X-Mas")

There is also the "Ultimate Halo Companion DVD Set" which includes the separate Exhibition Vol. 2 Demo Disc (!) besides the DVD disc with Halo movies and screenshots etc. on it. (Heads-up: Got it from Amazon a couple of weeks ago for $ 0.99; don't know if it is still available)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How about:

it's not expensive, but it is kinda rare.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is that Volvo game any good?

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

no. it's like a bad driving sim with volvos. there are only like 3 cars and maybe a couple tracks, I don't remember. they had them at volvo car dealers for a while.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by samuraiX View Post
    no. it's like a bad driving sim with volvos. there are only like 3 cars and maybe a couple tracks, I don't remember. they had them at volvo car dealers for a while.
    The Volvo dealerships gave them away for free. It's like a demo advertisement for Volvo products. There usually always some sealed ones for sale on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Methinks you meant Project Gotham Racing 2 instead of OutRun 2 in the last sentence.
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x...rterkit3month/

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    And just to throw fuel on the variant fire, nearly all of the xbox games have a NFR version for sale to microsoft employees:
    I'm curious about these. Did they just reprint the covers or did they go the extra mile and reprint the DVD labels as being NFR?

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    spartacus, thanks for the comprehensive list, great job!

Two notes:

"Outlaw Golf Holiday Golf" listed under 'Blockbuster exclusives' is actually a ToysRUs exclusive (it is the same game as the Blockbuster "9 Holes of X-Mas")
    I've always wondered about Outlaw Holiday Golf because doesn't actually say anywhere on the case, manual or disc who's exclusive it was. It just seemed to fit as being a Blockbuster exclusive because of all the other Outlaw Golf exclusives they had. It may indeed be a TRUS exclusive, even though the other TRUS exclusive, Sneakers, is clearly identified as such on it's cover. As for Outlaw Holiday Golf being the same game as 9 Holes of X-Mas, I'd like to point out some differences.

From the main menu of Holiday Golf your options are:
    9 Holes of X-mas - interactive demo
    Seablade trailer - non-interactive demo

From the main menu of 9 More of X-Mas your options are:
    9 Holes of X-Mas Holiday Mini Game
    Outlaw Golf demo - interactive demo
    Outlaw Golf on G4 - courtesy of G4 Network
    Seablade trailer - non-interactive Movie

It looks like we have:
    9 Holes of X-mas - identified as Blockbuster exclusive on the case, manual and disc.
    9 More Holes of X-Mas - identified as Blockbuster exclusive on the case and manual, but not the disc.
    Outlaw Volleyball Red Hot - identified as Blockbuster exclusive on the case, manual, but not the disc.
    Freestyle Street Soccer - identified as Blockbuster exclusive on the case, but not on the manual or disc.
    Sneakers - identified as TRUS exclusive on the case, but not on the manual or disc.
    Holiday Golf - unidentified on the case, manual or disc!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I know that a special version of Full Spectrum Warrior was sold on US army bases that had a different mission and different methods of commanding your troops. You can unlock it all in the retail version with a code, but on this it's the default.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus View Post
    I know that a special version of Full Spectrum Warrior was sold on US army bases that had a different mission and different methods of commanding your troops.
    Weird, I didn't think AAFES routed stuff around like that; you'd think that you'd be able to find it in pretty much any PX/NX/BX, but all of the ones I've seen were identical to the normal retail version. Maybe I just wound up visiting the Army bases with the shitty PXs.

Do they show up on eBay very often? I'd love to score a copy

AAFES is totally the place to buy game systems from (or anything expensive, for that matter). You can't beat not having to pay sales tax

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Holiday Golf - unidentified on the case, manual or disc!
    It is a bit blurry. While there is no "XY Exclusive"-Label to be found in this version, the manual ("Quick Start Guide") says: ""Purchase at Toys 'R' Us and, get $5 off Outlaw Golf for Xbox with this coupon," followed by the mail-in form with the instruction to provide the original sales receipt from Toys R Us for Outlaw Golf.

You are right that neither on the cover, in the manual, nor on the disc the exclusivity is stated; however, the manual clearly links it to Toys R Us; and since the sticker-like imprint on the cover refers to the TysRUs mail-in rebate reading "9 Holes for the Holidays! Plus $5 off the original Outlaw Golf," I assumed it is an exclusive.

If Toys R Us was the only company using this version, then it is an exclusive. Maybe others used it as well, a four page "manual" is easily reprinted, then this game isn't an exclusive for sure. I bought both versions used so I wouldn't know.

It just seemed to fit as being a Blockbuster exclusive because of all the other Outlaw Golf exclusives they had.
    This is highly unlikely. Why would Blockbuster release two different versions (manual, cover, disc, even content) of the same game at one particular time? I assume it is actually aTRus exclusive; as you pointed out, often the exclusivity-statement is missing on the disc and/or manual, why not have one case missing it on the cover as well? The manual points clearly to ToysRUs, Blockbuster as a possibility is very unlikely.

Thanks for pointing out the minor differences between the two versions -- to be honest I haven't plugged them in yet.
    Last edited by lendelin; 01-20-2007 at 01:30 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    I'm curious about these. Did they just reprint the covers or did they go the extra mile and reprint the DVD labels as being NFR?
    You got me on the XBL starter kit... didn't realize they had outrun.

As for the NFR games, they only reprinted the DVD case insert, not the manual or disc.They also stopped doing that after a while and just threw the giant sticker on the front.

Sneakers had kind of an odd development cycle... Microsoft Studios made it, but was going to can it. Somehow they reached an agreement with TRU to pick it up, i don't know if they took on some of the costs or what, but it's kind of weird.

Strawberry (Level 2) xtremegamer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XHEAT99

So does anyone here have a complete list of Xbox games, variants, special releases (like the volvo game), ect. ? I would really like to have one as a checklist. Thanks.