Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Famicom game question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Also, since I mentioned it...

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    Also - the original SMB Famicom release used artwork from Wrecking Crew?? There's your pirate proof right there.
    ...a real copy of Wrecking Crew looks like this...

The pirate SMB cart is still a decent looking reproduction but now I'm curious if the game inside is going to be a bootleg of Super Mario Bros. or Wrecking Crew. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    I bet the cases for those games would be wider than the usual Famicom ones - just like Splatterhouse. The carts look pretty much exactly the same.
    They are in the same case as "Splatterhouse". I got those two along with "Splatterhouse" in a huge lot of famicom/Mega Drive games some years ago.

I also got a baseball game that is in a weird case that curves around at the top and in the back a little tiny cart plugs into it. I've never seen another one of this particular game outside the two i bought.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs
    I also got a baseball game that is in a weird case that curves around at the top and in the back a little tiny cart plugs into it. I've never seen another one of this particular game outside the two i bought.
    When I was doing Famicom/NES/FDS emulation research a couple years back I read something about that. I think it accepted roster updates or something similar... hmm... I can't remember what it did, but it was something like that. I don't think the Famista games are what I'm thinking of.. it was awhile ago though and it was just sort of a footnote to me then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Games arrived today, oh and I've posted in your feedback thread Nukie, would appriciate the same.

Now let's get down to business to educate those who see Famicom and instantly think "those are crummy looking - they MUST be pirates!"...

Fantasy Zone II - Commercial release, but we all agreed on that.

Formation Z - Commercial release, this is NOT a pirate, I had assumed it was as well but now that I have it in my hand I can tell you it isn't. It's a Jaleco shell with a real Jaleco label front and back with their contact and copyright information. Color variations on early Famicom games are fairly common, don't know why this threw us all off.

Hydlide Special - Commercial release, agreed upon.

Kage no Densetsu - Commercial release, proper Taito Corporation back label.

Super Chinese - Commercial release, proper labels although the one up top has worn away and dissapeared.

Wagan Land / Wagyan Land - Commercial release, proper labels including the top edge label. (hurray!)

Super Mario Bros. - Pirate, most of us said that right out of the gate and it is a knockoff of the Wrecking Crew cartridge and of course the label is at a lower resolution. The back label gives it away, 100% engrish - "The unique manufacturer adopting high class IC and processed by not oxidized gold plate on the apparatus, to protect protect your IPU." WTF, that's the worst engrish I've read in awhile... "...to protect protect your IPU." This is what a proper SMB cart looks like...

Now is it a pirate SMB or a pirate Wrecking Crew? Well let's take a walk over to the bookcase o' NES cartridges and grab my salvaged converter cart and.... hmmm... not here... ..hmmmm.... Let me check my in/out logs and... ah, I lent it out so a friend could play her Macross cart...

*phone call*
    ...what do you mean you don't know where it is? AGGGHH.. ..alright...

So the mystery will continue until the top of next week when I can salvage myself another (the flea market brings with it cheap copies of Gyromite and Hogan's Alley) convertor board and socket, or unless the cart I cut off and made nice and user friendly decides to show up. :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Huh, thanks for the info. Glad to see I was right, but for the wrong reasons, heh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Yeah, I think it's time to start visually cataloging all my games in preperation for when I expand my hosting model to unlimited space and unmetered bandwidth this summer. There's just too many sites with fuzzy little pictures or great pictures but with zero information, etc. I can understand that though given the time and cost of doing uniform projects like that.

Guess it would be kind of like Lugnut & CinC's old emulation sites, except no roms. Something like a visual collection database to accompany the text lists I have currently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Bumping this old thread as I finally picked up some Gyromite carts (since my last converter doesn't look like it's coming back) and one of them had the Famicom - NES conveter inside, so I built myself yet another converter cart. (not as nice as the previous or the others I've built since I don't have my master one to base the sizing off of, also it was in a Gyromite cartridge that HAD the TM on it, and the grape colored Robot Series label... right along side another cart that was the same with no converter.. further debunking all the BS how you can tell if there's one inside or not. People, it's luck of the draw either way, unless you're good at checking the weight.

Back on topic...

The pirate "Super Mario Bros." cartridge is...........

Wrecking Crew, my assumptions based on the label art were correct, it's just a straight pirate of Wrecking Crew.