Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2 Dreamcast variant questions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 2 Dreamcast variant questions

I'm not trying to open up a can of worms like the last time I broached the Dreamcast subject, so this one should be pretty open and shut, I hope.

1. Do the "Not For Resale" games have anything special on the case / inserts? Or are the cases identical to the regular ones (i.e. the "Not For Resale" is printed solely on the disc)?

2. Sega All Stars versions... I notice that most of the ones I have (Virtua Tennis, NHL 2K, NFL 2k, Bass Fishing, THPS) have a round circle on the disc that says "Sega All Stars". However, the copies of NFL 2k1 and NBA 2k1 I bought at EB in the SAS case do NOT have these marks. I looked through a stack of another 20 or so disc only copies today, and none of them had the SAS circle on them either (though some had NFR printed, hence my first question). Is this just because EB put standard games in the SAS cases or what?

Thanks for any and all help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the NFR games have Not for Resale in the lower right hand corner of the back where you would normally find a UPC. These are the games youll find with this variation...

NBA 2K
    NFL 2K
    World Series Baseball 2K1
    NBA 2K1
    NFL 2K1
    Sonic Adventure (this version has a bonus Sonic Adventure 2 Demo in a double jewel case)
    Sonic Shuffle
    Sega Smash Pack

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: 2 Dreamcast variant questions

Quote Originally Posted by jcheatle
    I'm not trying to open up a can of worms like the last time I broached the Dreamcast subject, so this one should be pretty open and shut, I hope.

1. Do the "Not For Resale" games have anything special on the case / inserts? Or are the cases identical to the regular ones (i.e. the "Not For Resale" is printed solely on the disc)?
    Actually, some do and some don't, but all can be told apart. Specifically, the first games released like that (NFL 2K and NBA 2K) do not have Not For Resale on the case. Where the bar code is, there is simply nothing.

All of the others do have it.

2. Sega All Stars versions... I notice that most of the ones I have (Virtua Tennis, NHL 2K, NFL 2k, Bass Fishing, THPS) have a round circle on the disc that says "Sega All Stars". However, the copies of NFL 2k1 and NBA 2k1 I bought at EB in the SAS case do NOT have these marks. I looked through a stack of another 20 or so disc only copies today, and none of them had the SAS circle on them either (though some had NFR printed, hence my first question). Is this just because EB put standard games in the SAS cases or what?
    Here you are, researched and confirmed by my collection, as well as everyone else here that was crazy enough to help

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=622256
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's one for you.

Does anyone remember the so called liquid cooled dreamcasts. The story was the so called chips ran so hot in the initial production they had to be liquid cooled. Well I remember when I bought my system on dreamcast launch day and mine wasn't that version. I hunted around until I found one at another store I was told you could tell by looking in the fan vent the non liquid cooled was plastic and I think the so called liquid cooled was metal. I finally snaged the metal but never opened up a dreamcast to confirm.

Seeing this thread brought back that crazy memory of one mans quest to get hot technology. Funny thing is the non liquid cooled was the second or so revision that was possibly a better dreamcast.

Truth or rumor I have to investigate.
    neo geo system

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto
    Here's one for you.

Does anyone remember the so called liquid cooled dreamcasts. The story was the so called chips ran so hot in the initial production they had to be liquid cooled. Well I remember when I bought my system on dreamcast launch day and mine wasn't that version. I hunted around until I found one at another store I was told you could tell by looking in the fan vent the non liquid cooled was plastic and I think the so called liquid cooled was metal. I finally snaged the metal but never opened up a dreamcast to confirm.

Seeing this thread brought back that crazy memory of one mans quest to get hot technology. Funny thing is the non liquid cooled was the second or so revision that was possibly a better dreamcast.

Truth or rumor I have to investigate.
    I believe that this is true, although the Dreamcasts that used that technology were only released in Japan and in very limited numbers, if at all. It may only be a handful of protos that are truly liquid cooled, and not just using the heatsink piping method that some others used.
    Dan Loosen
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had always assumed that this rumor was because of the difference in using heatpipes between the US and Jap versions... it's the reason that I tracked down a US kiosk model... it would be very interesting to see it confirmed officially or with pics.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tylerwillis
    I had always assumed that this rumor was because of the difference in using heatpipes between the US and Jap versions... it's the reason that I tracked down a US kiosk model... it would be very interesting to see it confirmed officially or with pics.
    I'd love it too, just like I'd love to see a Dreamcast that can't play CDs. I have from a very reliable source that at least some of both exist or existed at one point, but no confirmation that anything was done with them in the way of distribution.
    Dan Loosen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I have a picture of the inside of a US kiosk Dreamcast in the infamous thread of constant whining...

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=75732

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    OatB0b

1)
    The three Sega games from the Dreamcast bundle all have the NOT FOR RESALE printed on the discs, and on the insert in place of the barcode. These games are Sonic Adventure (also includes the SA:2 demo), Sonic Shuffle, and Sega Smash Pack. I have all these and can confirm them.

The sports games from the Sega Sports Dreamcast bundles seem to vary.

NFL 2K and NBA 2K have NOT FOR RESALE printed on the disc, and no barcode, no NFR on the back, just blank space.
    NFL 2K1 and World Series Baseball 2K1 have NOT FOR RESALE printed on the disk to the right of the spindle instead of below it like all the others. NOT FOR RESALE also is in place of the barcode.

I have all these and can confirm them.

I'll add info for NBA 2K1 as soon as I find it, but I believe its the same as the other 2K1's as it came in the same bundle, the black Dreamcast sports bundle from 2001 instead of 2000.

2)
    Thats strange, now you ask I too have the same dilemma. Ready 2 Rumble has the red HOT!NEW! disc, and NFL2K1 has the regular disc. I dunno if this is correct or not, so no clue here. I do have sealed copies of NFL2k1 and NBA 2k1, but I really don't want to open them.

BTW, good question, it's important to know the relatively few variants for Dreamcast because lots of the sports games get mixed between packaging.
    it's thinking

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have an older JPN Dreamcast, and let me say it's a beast! Even the power board is pretty tuff look'n from others, could this be a kiosk Dreamcast? Here are some pics, I've played the $#$% out of since 99' and let me say it keeps on tick'n

HKT 3010 made in Japan

The heatsink fan area, much differn't than the small metal fan housing on the U.S models.

Check out the Powerboard?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

speaking of dreamcast variations, my copy of worms world party has a red "1 or 2 players" sticker on the disk. does anyone know if this is how most if not all of them went out?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KingCobra View Post
    I have an older JPN Dreamcast, and let me say it's a beast! Even the power board is pretty tuff look'n from others, could this be a kiosk Dreamcast?
    Yes, it's a kiosk system.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by orangest View Post
    speaking of dreamcast variations, my copy of worms world party has a red "1 or 2 players" sticker on the disk. does anyone know if this is how most if not all of them went out?
    My copy doesn't have that.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

As Goatdan had linked in that other thread in his earlier post, lots of the talk has been kicked around already, but I do have all the variants that I've listed below for the US released DC library so I'll just post the info here and call it as they are. Due to posting issue, please go to page 3 for updated list. I'll re-edit this once I can get it to format again.

Sega All Stars

Crazy Taxi (Has SAS on disc)
    House Of The Dead 2 (Has SAS on disc)
    Hydro Thunder (NO SAS on disc, same as Hot!New! disc)
    Marvel Vs. Capcom (Has SAS on disc) NBA 2K (Has SAS on disc)
    NBA 2K1 (NO SAS on disc)
    NFL 2K {Square NFL License sticker on manual} (Has SAS on disc)
    NFL 2K {Round NFL License sticker on manual} (Has SAS on disc)
    NFL 2K1 (NO SAS on disc)
    NFL Blitz 2000 (NO SAS on disc, same as Hot!New! disc)
    NHL 2K (Has SAS on disc) Power Stone (Has SAS on disc)
    Ready 2 Rumble (NO SAS on Disc, same as Hot!New! disc)
    Sega Bass Fishing (Has SAS on disc)
    Sonic Adventure - Sonic only art behind disc on rear insert (Has SAS on disc)
    Sonic Adventure - Sonic & Friends group art on rear insert (Has SAS on disc)
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (Has SAS on disc)
    Virtua Tennis (Has SAS on disc)
    World Series Baseball 2K1 (Has SAS on disc)

Hot!New! Re-Releases

Hydro Thunder (Disc is redish {original is blue} Hot!New! sticker OR Hot!New! printed on manual)
    Mortal Kombat: Gold (Disc is redish orange {original is yellowish} Hot!New! sticker on manual only)
    NFL Blitz 2000 (Disc is redish orange {original is purplish},Hot!New! sticker OR Hot!New! printed on manual)
    Ready 2 Rumble (Disc is red {original is yellow} Hot!New! sticker OR Hot!New! printed on manual)

Not For Sale releases

**ALL NFS games have NFS on the disc, all releases except NBA 2K and NFL 2K also have NFS instead of a SKU, NFL 2K and NBA 2K have nothing where the barcode shoud be**

NBA 2K
    NBA 2K1
    NFL 2K
    NFL 2K1
    Sega Smashpack Volume 1
    Sonic Adventure Sonic Shuffle
    World Series Baseball 2K1

General Variants

Alone In The Dark: The New Nightmare (Original has a sticker SKU of 0 20295 15011 2 AND a corrected SKU insert that has 0 20295 15011 2)
    Chu Chu Rocket (Original has pixelated screen shots on rear insert, variant has normal screen shots)
    Fighting Force 2 (Original has a SKU 0 10086 51020 1 which is the SKU for Toy Commander, There is at least a version w/ a proper SKU sticker with 7 88678 45004 1, unknown if there is a correctly printed rear insert)
    Marvel Vs. Capcom (Original version has Wolvie vs Akuma for the left image on rear insert, variant is Thor vs Venom on the left, just like the SAS)
    Monaco Grand Prix (Original has a SKU 0.08888.26001.1, there is at least a version with a proper SKU sticker 0 08888 26001 1, unknown if there is a correctly printed rear insert)
    Speed Devils (An alternate version with a 'devil free' Speed Devils sticker placed over the entire manual cover)
    Tennis 2K2 (Green Spine Insert and Black Spine Insert)
    Unreal Tournament (Yellow Disc (First Release) and Black and white disc (Second Release))
    Last edited by PapaStu; 04-14-2014 at 10:11 PM.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a Sonic Adventure NFR, and it doesn't come with a Sonic 2 disc (the case is single, back is marked not for resale, disc also)

There's no mention anywhere on the packaging (front or back) about a bonus Sonic 2 disc inside (is there any on yours?)... was the NFR Sonic disc distributed also in a "single" format without Sonic 2?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Virtualogik View Post
    I have a Sonic Adventure NFR, and it doesn't come with a Sonic 2 disc (the case is single, back is marked not for resale, disc also)

There's no mention anywhere on the packaging (front or back) about a bonus Sonic 2 disc inside (is there any on yours?)... was the NFR Sonic disc distributed also in a "single" format without Sonic 2?
    There are no mentions of a Sonic 2 Demo anywhere on the insert or manual. Its easy enough to break the slim 2CD trays, so my guess is that the demo disc just disapeared and that the tray had been replaced at some point in time.

I don't think that it was ever released w/o the Sonic 2 Demo.
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone else's copy of Tennis 2k2 have a misprinted insert? On mine both sides of the insert are printed upside down (like if you put it in the case with the Sega Dreamcast logo showing through the left side bar of the case, the back is upside down).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    General Variants
    Tennis 2K2 (Green Spine Insert and Black Spine Insert)
    Quote Originally Posted by DOL_001 View Post
    Does anyone else's copy of Tennis 2k2 have a misprinted insert? On mine both sides of the insert are printed upside down (like if you put it in the case with the Sega Dreamcast logo showing through the left side bar of the case, the back is upside down).
    I guess that the green part could be upside down. Both of my copies are sealed so i'm not totally sure. I took a picture of my copies and once I get my memory card reader to detect itself i'll upload the pic.
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here are pictures of how mine look like:

Currently I have the inside upside-down so it doesn't look weird from the outside:

Just wondering if they are all like that, because I want a normal one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Ok, thats what I thought.

The green spine one I have is exactly what your's is. So feel good in knowing that there are 2 versions. Just hit up ebay or something and get the other one. It won't be expensive.
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog