Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The PSP is just plain ridiculous

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The PSP is just plain ridiculous

I mean... It's ridiculous what one can do with one. Right now, my PSP is sitting in front of me and Rock and Roll Racing for the SNES is on the screen. The sound has all the voices, all the Ozzy, it's just running it's attract screen, but it brings tears to my eyes.

I love you Sony.

I never thought I would say something like that. I'm not a big Sony guy. I thought they made an outstanding product with the original Playstation, I thought they made one of the worst engineered consoles of all time in the PS2, and I plain just dislike their total arrogance like they are running this industry, and they are just laughing about it. But you know what? They gave me the PSP. So all is forgiven. I'm playing SNES games on my PSP in full color, with sound, it seems to be playing damn good to me. Don't believe me? Try Space MegaForce for the SNES.

Wowers! That's all I can say about this little machine. I'm in total love with the thing. What it's doing should just not be possible. It's funny, I bought the PSP and a 1 gig memory stick, and I haven't even played a single UMD on the thing. I've never opened the UMD thing at all. I'm just playing these emulators, and I really don't even care. A portable SNES with an incredible screen has always been a dream to me, and this puppy is damn close. It has a basically perfect NES emulator, a damn good TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine emulator, a pretty good Genesis emulator, and a new and improved SNES emulator that isn't perfect, but is doing some nice things. Sure, some SNES games are completely unplayable right now, but if you just forget about that fact and enjoy what is playable, then you will be totally amazed by the thing.

It's absolutely criminal how good it is. I mean, I almost feel embarassed by it. It's like I feel bad that this is so amazing. Weird.

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your love for them is unfounded since they've been trying to kill emulation on it since they released it.
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

So, you love a $250 system because it can be used to emulate games for dead consoles?

If Kirk had fed that number to Norman, his head would have exploded.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

oops. I should have done this in the modern one. Well, actually, it's all about emulation, so it could go in either one. If mods have to move this, I appologize.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CueWarrior
    Your love for them is unfounded since they've been trying to kill emulation on it since they released it.
    I concur. You should instead be thanking the rather talented and intelligent individuals that hack hardware and get emulators working. What you're doing is like thanking Nintendo for Chrono Trigger - they had nothing to do with it.

Back on topic, the PSP is a pretty fun little emulation machine. I much prefer emulation on it to playing the miserable little selection of games it has. UMD movies are kind of neat, but they're way too expensive.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettCRW
    So, you love a $250 system because it can be used to emulate games for dead consoles?

YEP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1

YEP.
    Sometimes, you make Johnny Damon look smart. You know this, right?
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Actually, I've never played a UMD on my PSP either. <shrugs>

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marcus12024
    Quote Originally Posted by CueWarrior
    I concur. You should instead be thanking the rather talented and intelligent individuals that hack hardware and get emulators working. What you're doing is like thanking Nintendo for Chrono Trigger - they had nothing to do with it.

I understand that Sony has nothing to do with the emulation that is going on, on their machine, and if anything, they totally oppose it, but they did make the device that is allowing us to enjoy it. I mean, the quality of the screen, and all the features, is just ridiculous. So, understandly, the talented people that were able to do the exploits and get this magical code running on the PSP are really the ones to be celebrated. You are absolutely right. But we also have to thank Sony for bringing out this little device that has been used so wisely by our hacker friends.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SCUMM emulation also owns, I spent a whole day playing Monkey Island

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nemesis223
    PSN
    Nemesis2233

I agree with him, I would absolutly LOVE a portable SNES/NES. I am going to wait and get a PSP for emulation until the emulation is down almost perfect.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EricRyan34
    I agree with him, I would absolutly LOVE a portable SNES/NES. I am going to wait and get a PSP for emulation until the emulation is down almost perfect.

Really, there is no reason to wait. In fact, it's easy to find a brand new 2.0 system right now, and eventually it will just get harder. You can play some homebrew now on 2.0, or you can downgrade. But, I would say that you might as well enjoy this right now. The key factor is that some SNES games run very, very good. And some of these ones that run very, very good, happen to be classic SNES games that should be played again, especially on such a beautiful little screen. There are going to be certain SNES games that just don't run right, but there are enough that do, and there are so many good SNES games, that there is plenty to enjoy now while you wait for the emulation to improve. If you are a huge fan of the SNES like I am, and especially if you like platformers and action/adventure type games, then this is the cat's meow.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why would you get a PSP for emulation, when a GP2X is available for cheaper? Not only is it cheaper, it's more powerful, and a large selection of emulators running at 100% speed or close to it.

The screen is only slightly smaller than the PSP's screen. Having the extra screen real estate for emulators doesn't matter, though...unless you want some stretched out screen.

Cherry (Level 1) ClassicGameTrader's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    stillgetmine199

Thats the reason I bought a modded xbox with a big HD!!!
    'Why should I lie when I can dramatize?"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xizer
    Why would you get a PSP for emulation, when a GP2X is available for cheaper? Not only is it cheaper, it's more powerful, and a large selection of emulators running at 100% speed or close to it.

The screen is only slightly smaller than the PSP's screen. Having the extra screen real estate for emulators doesn't matter, though...unless you want some stretched out screen.

Hmm, well that's an interesting thought. I really don't know much of anything about the GP2X. Maybe if I saw one of those in person, then I would have been more interested in it. But, I must admit that at some point I'll probably play some UMD's on my PSP as well as all the emulation. So, I didn't buy the PSP solely for the emulation possibilities. Another thing to consider, is that if I have a problem with my PSP, I have a protection plan through EB that can help me with it. If something goes wrong with the GP2X, it's probably more difficult to get it fixed. How much do those things cost? The D-Pad looks kinda weird. Is that even a D-Pad? I mean, I totally understand that the PSP's D-Pad sucks as well, but that might suck even more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah the PSP is a waste of money if you only use it for emulation IMO. I wouldn't say that if the GP2X weren't on the market, when it does exactly what the PSP does for cheaper. Plus the PSP just has enough good games to not pass up on for me to use the thing as an emulator.

Even though it's been said, you're thanking the wrong people. Sony brought the system to the market is trying to kill off anything emulation. They still have the arrogance in the portable front as well as the console front, don't forget that.
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What you love on you PSP (emulation, 2D, etc) is EVERYTHING that Sony does not stand for.
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You should try the NeoGeo CD emulator. 100% perfect emulation of Metal Slug, Samurai Shodown and King Of Fighters. THAT is amazing.

and the .iso loaders aren't bad either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Can I run a SNES emu at 100% on the PSP? I'm talking FX games like Mario Kart, Star Fox, etc.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar
    Can I run a SNES emu at 100% on the PSP? I'm talking FX games like Mario Kart, Star Fox, etc.
    Not yet.

Chris