Thread: Best Mario Kart DS racing combination for WiFi?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best Mario Kart DS racing combination for WiFi?

I've tried snaking with dry bones.
    After unlocking ROB I got royally spanked.
    I unlocked all 36 carts.
    My rivals beat me.
    I checked FAQ's here and there. But I can't seem to get a good combination of cart & character to win or at least get a 2nd place. Any advice would help me get a winning record!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whats snaking? Does that mean drifting on straightaways? I've had someone on drybones smoke me before when I can't win a game with him.

Really its just whatever you like best and learn the corse and shave time off as much as possible. Every thenth of a second counts. Run the time trials and perfect it. Hug corners tight, don't take wide turns. Use your head with your items, or do like I do and just be a complete bastard. Never use your 3 mushrooms too quickly in a row or you'll waste them.

Perfect Baby Circuit and resort to that one for a win is what I did. Or perfect a hard corse like SNES Choco Island 2 (I had an edge on that one on release day cause I played the hell outta the SNES version). Draft a lot, slow down to draft if you have to, the burst of speed makes up for it. I've seen a lot of people that perfected that Sky Garden one and smoke me. I gotta practice on that one.
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

classicb's tips for Mario Kart

1. pick Luigi w/Poltergust 4000
    2. stay third until you pick up 3 mushrooms
    3. save them until halfway through the last lap
    4. crack open a 40 of OE and enjoy the wins

*I'm no MK master but I have more wins than loses and I have fun doing it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was having a really hard time keeping up with anyone even driving my hardest, until I started using

Princess in the Dry Bomber (tank)

The boost you get from sparking lasts based on your acceleration, so the maxed accel gives you almost a mushroom like boost. And the Handling is incredible, giving you great off road as well (less speed drop).

I choose the princess because if you are going to be light weight you should go all the way.

If you have a problem with being too light, or like better item options, go with

Yoshi in the Cucumber

This was my transition combination before stumbling onto the Princess/Dry Bomber.

Hope this helps.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Any light character in the bomber or the egg I see used a fair bit for snaking action. Doesn't matter though on some tracks; you just eat them alive with weapons. Just avoid figure 8 (I really think Nintendo should ban that from online play to reduce the snaking issue) and anything with big straights.

So Choco Island 2 usually gives them the craps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Personally I use Toad with the Trike or the Cucumber :P

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The snaking is F*ing rediculous. I wish that Nintendo could modify the online game mechanics to somehow reduce this b/c it's really just an unfair angle picked up from taking advantage of the game mechanics. I really wonder if N knew that snaking would be retarded and left it in. It's a completely unfair race when you go up against a pro-snaker because on many course a pro-snaker's snaking skills will totally negate your driving skills even if you are a better player but simply can't snake that well. It's annoying.

On the other hand, I just need to up my snaking skills.

...and yeah - Fig 8 should NOT be an online course, totally F*ed up!

I'm a big fan of Bones in the regular cart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One thing I noticed on the Figure 8. It's anyone's game, snaking or not. I'm getting better at it as well as the Baby Park. I've been doing the time trials on those two tracks to get my timing down, snaking and all. Those guys seem to pick that alot. Also the sky garden as well. That crazy jump will take time to get right.
    My favorite is Delfino Square. Lot's of turns and edges where those snakers can't snake and I've found a 3rd short cut. If I'm behind some w/ a mushroom, blast off the dock and land on the lower dock, pretty much a straight shot and you're backon the straight path just before the last item pickup.. A racer did that to me yesterday.
    The big N did disable holding stuff behind you to block stuff. That made it somewhat competitive.
    I need to get my game down before Christmas.

All those newbies....oh yeah!!

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Snaking is a "legitimate" Nintendo technique as some of the staff ghosts do it during time trial. But yes, I agree, they should remove the figure 8 circuit from online just to lower the score slightly.

Snaker in your midst? Pick a track that's hard to snake on and see if people can get it running. Choco Island 2, Rainbow Road, Delfino Square and Baby Park are definite anti-snaking tracks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mayhem, I am able to snake on Baby Park! My timing is getting better and I can time trial a lap at 11 seconds flat, I finish just under a minute. That might be slow but, it's faster than what I usually did. I slide the whole turn and pull another snake, then do it all over again on the next turn. It's gonna take a while to perfect that. But folks online pick that course alot!

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

It's the claustrophobic nature of the track and the frequency of weapon pickups that basically keep things level. Or in a state of chaos which way you want to look at it. No surprise I've clocked tens of hours on it, perfecting strategy. I'd say 80% of the time I will win that track against anyone and everyone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sweet. I'm gonna dowload the nintendo staff ghost tonight and see how I match up. I know I suck already, but that "rainbow cup"??? Maybe I'll get to it if it exists.

It's probably why I enjoy the tougher courses. It leaves more room for error. Given the items provided during the race I can't stop everything and stay on the inside to shave off a tenth of a second at the same time.