Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I guess we will find out soon if the shortage is real (360)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I guess we will find out soon if the shortage is real (360)

There has been quite a bit of debate as to whether or not the XBOX 360 shortage is real or strategic marketing. With December 25th approaching rapidly, the reality of the situation will be revealed. Is Microsoft doing what Nintendo did back in 1996 with the N64, or is it like the Sony situation of 2000? The Playstation 2 shortage was legitimate, and definitely real, but we all know the Nintendo 64 shortage was a staged event, as a few days prior to Xmas, stores were flooded with N64 systems out of the blue.

So basically it comes down to this. If you can walk into any Toys R Us or Target or Wal-Mart or Costco and buy a XBOX 360 on Friday the 23rd or Saturday the 24th, then it's pretty obvious that this was a staged shortage. On the other hand, if you go to 4 different Wal-Marts and 4 different Targets and 4 different Circuit City's and none of them have any 360's then you know it's a real shortage.

Certainly, either way, part of the shortage is due to the chip yields on such new technology, and the whole strategy of launching in three seperate territories within the span of several weeks. But, if all of a sudden stores are magically flooded with 360's a few days prior to Xmas, then we know that part of this whole shortage situation was contrived.

I've seen it happen before. Back in December of 1996, I was able to get my hands on a extra Nintendo 64 system. They were selling for big money in the classifieds at that time. It was all about Tickle Me Elmo and the Nintendo 64. They were typically selling for $400 and $500, which was quite a premium. Nintendo was shipping units to retailers here and there, but it pretty much was a trickling of systems, and they would be sold out the second they were made available. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a extra N64, and I figured I could sell it for big money, and then be able to buy more N64 games. I figured that if I sold it a few days prior to Xmas, I would get the most money for it. So I took an ad in the classifieds a few days prior to Xmas. I think I was hoping to get $450 for it. Of course, much to my dismay, all of a sudden all the stores magically got flooded with N64 systems, and anybody that wanted a N64 could have walked into any Toys R Us a day before Xmas and buy one. I remember going to a Toys R Us and seeing tons of N64's stacked up in the gaming area. It was pretty amazing considering how scarce they were just a few days prior. You couldn't find a N64 anywhere for weeks and weeks, and then all of a sudden "BOOM!". Right before Xmas Nintendo flooded the market with N64's.

Looking back on it, I'm kinda suprised that Nintendo really didn't get much of any negative press regarding it. It's like the public didn't even realize that it was a "planned" shortage. I think Nintendo had some type of excuse made up for the coincidence of having tons of units magically available a few days prior to Xmas, like they got another factory up and running just in time to get more N64's on store shelves just before Xmas. Yeah, right.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Half-Real. If ebay didn't exist, I don't think anyone who actually wanted one would have really had a too difficult time finding one during launch week.

If it were completely fake, stores would have already had a bunch of shipments by now, but from what I understand Best Buy's first shipment since launch is nearly a month later (18th). That's no fake shortage. My Gamerush only had 10 preorders and we JUST filled them yesterday, nearly a month to get a measly 10 systems, and we had 5 at launch. If they get a bunch more and can keep supply over demand through the week before christmas, then it certainly looks staged.

But you've also got to ask, how many people still legitimately want a 360? Wal Mart by me got 4 in last sunday and they were gone instantly. They're still fetching a price worth picking one up for ebay before Xmas as it is, but will the demand really hold through the holiday? With best buys in my area all getting between 26-46 systems on Sunday, does the greater Metro Detroit area actually have the demand for another 300 systems? Probably.

Real or fake though, it worked. It sucked me right in and I succumbed to buying a Core on launch day, and you know what? I don't regret it one bit. I haven't had this much plain FUN with a system launch, ever. The three offerings from MS Game Studios are all incredibly well done games and all kept me coming back and downright pining for more while I was away, and that hasn't happened to me since Tales of Symphonia for Gamecube. Before that, who knows when, probably KotoR. But all 3 had me wishing I didn't have to go to work in the afternoon (PDZ, Kameo, and PGR3).

Either way, I vote for real. I can't imagine they would launch before Christmas just to keep systems out of the hands of consumers until one week before the Holiday, not to mention really, really piss off the faithful who preordered months and months ago and still haven't recieved a system.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I think the shortage is real too. But you never know.

Your store might have only gotten in 10, but I know of a few Costco's that have gotten almost 300 units on two seperate shipments. There have been units at my local Target stores as well. Of course, all these systems are snapped up immediately.

Best Buy is holding their systems back for their special Sunday ad, to try to get a second Black Friday out of it. So you can't really look at what Best Buy is doing as any sort of gauge as to whether the shortage is real or staged.

I will say this, if it is staged, they haven't done it as well as Nintendo did with the N64. Nintendo was masterfull when they did the staged shortage of the N64. They would trickle in just enough systems to have it sell out right away, and they kept doing it over and over, and then a few days prior to Xmas came the flood of N64's to all the stores. If Microsoft is doing a staged shortage, then I think they took too long inbetween shipments. You definitely want to have them sold out for awhile to create the hype and buzz, but I think that they would have staggered the shipments more, and have not so many days go by with no 360's available anywhere.

Also a big difference between the N64 shortage and the 360 shortage is Ebay. I don't even know if Ebay was around in 1996. All the poachers were selling them in the classified ads, and now it's all about Ebay and Craigslist.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It may be a staged event like what the n64 did. Like what most people know, all best buys are receiving them again and they're going on sale the 18th (sunday). But Best Buy is also receiving more of them a few days later, if i remember, its either tuesday or thursday. I know the store i work at went a whole month after launch without seeing a single unit come in, and then within a week, we're receiving 2 shipments. One week prior to x-mas? looking at it through best buy, it seems similar to the N64.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It just reminds me of the great PS2 debacle of 2000.

We had some, we had none. We recieved 10, we can only sell 3. We have 5 in back but we have to lie and say we do not have any because they are on hold.

The only real joy i got out of that season was was having two seperate people on two different days calling up and asking if they could purchase a Playstation 9 (from the old PS2 commercials).

One person was obviously joking...but the 2nd was dead serious. x_x

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still refuse to believe the shortage is staged...I think that MS was far too eager to get the system out of the gate and simply didn't take enough time and resources to get the system made in large enough quantities. They dropped the ball on getting the launch they not only wanted, but NEEDED. They could've made twice as many systems as they did and there probably would still be a 'shortage' in the eyes of many (namely, those who can't seem to find one). Considering the zealous nature of the entire launch, I don't see the shortage being anything other than 'oops, we weren't quite ready yet'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs
    It just reminds me of the great PS2 debacle of 2000.

We had some, we had none. We recieved 10, we can only sell 3. We have 5 in back but we have to lie and say we do not have any because they are on hold.

The only real joy i got out of that season was was having two seperate people on two different days calling up and asking if they could purchase a Playstation 9 (from the old PS2 commercials).

One person was obviously joking...but the 2nd was dead serious. x_x
    Whaa? PS9?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh man, the Blackfriars blog was awesome. A recap from months ago, here's a paraphrase of one of their entries:

"Apple's ditched IBM because IBM couldn't provide chips fast enough...now we'll see if Microsoft will be able to get parts when Apple couldn't."

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

the shortage may or may or may not be real....either way it doesent matter if people arent buying them...granted some of them are bit i have never seen so many for sale threads in so many different message boards for a new just released console

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    Whaa? PS9?
    Sony had a commercial that showed this really advanced games system that you controlled with your brain or something else obviously sci-fi.

At the beginning it said "Playstation 9" then showed all the advanced BS, then at the very end of the commercial it was like "the beginning..." and it showed the PS2 logo.

Hence the PS9 calls.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs
    Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    Whaa? PS9?
    Sony had a commercial that showed this really advanced games system that you controlled with your brain or something else obviously sci-fi.

At the beginning it said "Playstation 9" then showed all the advanced BS, then at the very end of the commercial it was like "the beginning..." and it showed the PS2 logo.

Hence the PS9 calls.
    Ohhh yeah, I remember those commercials.

Kinda suprised it was only 2 people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, those were the only two people *I* talked to. I didn't always answer the phone and i didnt ask others about getting any calls.

It was brought up at a meeting and a bunch of us joked that, should anyone else call up about a PS9, we were going to tell them that they cost $25,000 dollars.

But i never really heard anything else about the PS9 from customers after that weekend. :/

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well it appears that the shortage was legit. More 360's did appear in stores, but still, if you weren't right by the guy that pulled the brand new boxes out of the gray stocking bins, then you didn't get one.

It's kinda weird cause the prices on Ebay and Craigslist dropped dramatically, like all the stores were flooded with 360's but that actually didn't happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Well it appears that the shortage was legit. More 360's did appear in stores, but still, if you weren't right by the guy that pulled the brand new boxes out of the gray stocking bins, then you didn't get one.

It's kinda weird cause the prices on Ebay and Craigslist dropped dramatically, like all the stores were flooded with 360's but that actually didn't happen.
    The rush to get one for christmas died, so the kids that ended up being upset are upset and now the parents don't give a damn. People still want one but now time isn't a factor so the willingness to pay through the nose is gone.

But yeah, there hasn't been any more in my store since we filled our preorder allotment and I certainly haven't seen any anywhere else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

yea, i went looking today just to see if stores had more that i could pick one up.....plus i was going out shopping anyway, so it wasnt a special trip...

i checked 2 ebs, 1 walmart, 1 kmart, 1 gamestop, 1 best buy, 1 target, 1 circuit city, and 1 toys r us (keep in mind, i wasnt traveling all over...these were all within 2 minutes of each other) and not one store had any available.....who knows once shipping starts tomorrow (cuz of the legal holiday today) if any stores will get huge shippments....i doubt it, but who knows

when the become readily available, ill get one....
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder how many ebay profiteers are going to take it in the a$$ on left over units.
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Great Puma (Level 12) captain nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CueWarrior
    I wonder how many ebay profiteers are going to take it in the a$$ on left over units.

Hopefully anybody who bought up alot from a place and left the legit gamers still wanting one will get fucked.

I am still waiting for my pre order from GameStop. No big deal, as I have figured that this just gives me more time to play my back load of games that I have yet to even touch or open.

"until all are one" - Optimus Prime
    Link to collection:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...der=Collection

R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The N64 shortage was staged?

Kidding.

You know what? A shortage of a game system is ALWAYS staged. Reduced supply creates demand, and guarantees sale of all stock, especially on shipments immediately after the "shortage" is over. It's simple economics meant to maximize MS's revenue, which is much needed if they plan on taking out Sony in sales.

Anybody who honestly believes MS wasn't capable of fulfilling the consumer demand for these is is kidding themselves. It's not like they didn't have time, and it's not like they didn't know this kind of thing could (and likely would)happen.

Considering this type of thing happens with every other system launch (or Apple product), it should be said that people who believe shortages from companies this size are real are just slurping up the propaganda.

I know, the argument will go back and forth forever, but I've just seen this too many times.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

in any event....if anyone is a manager or employee of a store near zip code 18222 and knows when a shipment is coming in, let me know....its no rush when i get it, but i do kinda want to get one soon, now that I have the money for it.....
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

eBay sellers are having one hell of a time selling all the units they bought now, most will probably end up going for retail price sooner or later. I'm happy with owning mine (I was one of the best buy campers on the 18th, waited 18 hours) and Im glad I have one to play for my xmas vacation, keeping me busy.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room