Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Does The Best Game Reviews?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Who Does The Best Game Reviews?

Awhile back, we were discussing what everyone thinks of various game magazines. What I want to know now is who everyone thinks does the best, most objective, game reviews.. These can be either magazines or websites. I kind of like EGM the most as far as magazine reviews go...they don't seem to have it in for any series of games or a given console. I've not checked out that many websites though I do sometimes look up the reviews of GameSpot...I'm now hearing lately a lot of people don't think much of this site. So what's better, IGN or what? Also, is there any real reason to subscribe to IGN's pay service? According to what one guy says, it sounds kind of like the opposite of GameSpot...you pay to read the reviews first but after a week or so, they become available to everyone. If that's the case, why pay? I'm not in that much of a hurry to read a review...usually.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Next gen was the best *sniff*, but EGM pretty much rules this area. Game Pro is still written for a 10 year old and the "official" mags, well, we all know about them. Of course, you could always just read mine here on the site and be happy....=

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like EGM for reviews.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Next Gen was by far the best IMO, and Geamers Republic was good, but both are now gone. As for other mags...I stopped reading them all. Don't really care for print mags or online reviews, as I almost always disagree (i'm disagreeable!). Sry..can't help much. I do usually look at IGN and gamespy but I take both with a grain or 1,000,000 of salt.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also use Metacritic (www.metacritic.com) every once in a while. Gamefaqs is okay for the user reviews too. I find that a lot of the professional reviewers from all the sites are too biased in their reporting... especially when you see the ad for the game in a banner beside the review, or something blatant like that!

But, to me it's just like movies. I find most reviewers and I disagree regularly.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

EGM, IGN.com and Digital Press for me.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Digital press
    EGM
    www.gamespot.com
    www.ign.com
    Game Informer
    Official Playstation magizine
    Official xbox magizine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, the best reviews by a mile were from Next Generation; too bad for us now. Of course, there's still Edge Magazine in the UK; sometimes you'll see their reviews posted in the gamesradar.co.uk site. An excellent example of Edge is this review of Final Fantasy X, which was given a 6/10:

"Following the same formula as the previous PlayStation adventures, but exaggerated with next-generation insensitivity, the FFX feature list runs as follows: puzzles which involve little thought, but rely on systematic time-consuming trial and error; unbreakable animation sequences that initially impress, then subconsciously irritate; interminable FMV sequences immediately before unpredictably deadly boss encounters; infinite numbers of unavoidable nonthreatening random battles; an utterly linear room-by-room progression mechanism; and, in Tidus, perhaps the most irritating lead character Square has ever conceived, a squaking, petulant teen who it's near impossible to care for."

There isn't any magazine in the US that would dare knock a prized, A-level title like that.

As for other good reviews, um, well, EGM is okay, I guess. Any of the Dave Halverson mags -- Gamefan, Gamer's Republic, Play -- they still have the funny knack of labeling every game as "the greatest ever made."

The best places to get reviews are Edge, or Digital Press, or, well, how about me?
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I enjoy EGM's reviews the most. THey are not overly wordy or long, and there are mostly 3 different views on the same game, giving a fine overview.

Other than that, I enjoy Play Magazine's reviews because those guys *still* have that Gamefan kind of style, yet its been somehow updated. Uber-positive most of the times, true. Better that than, say, the internets growing jadism. Is that a word?

On the net ... hmmm ... that's a real problem because anybody (even me ) can write reviews and get them published. Most of them are just quickly thrown together clever opinions, nothing else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Thomas
    "Following the same formula as the previous PlayStation adventures, but exaggerated with next-generation insensitivity, the FFX feature list runs as follows: puzzles which involve little thought, but rely on systematic time-consuming trial and error; unbreakable animation sequences that initially impress, then subconsciously irritate; interminable FMV sequences immediately before unpredictably deadly boss encounters; infinite numbers of unavoidable nonthreatening random battles; an utterly linear room-by-room progression mechanism; and, in Tidus, perhaps the most irritating lead character Square has ever conceived, a squaking, petulant teen who it's near impossible to care for."

There isn't any magazine in the US that would dare knock a prized, A-level title like that.
    Thank God there isn't, at least not since the insufferable, hypocritical, let's-hate-the-popular-stuff nutjobs at GameFan/GameGo closed up shop.

Right now, I prefer EGM and Play, and I'm starting to like GMR. My all-time favorite mag is probably the 1993-1998 run of GameFan, before the decent staffers left for Gamers' Republic and other venues. Crude as they could get, those import-friendly, RPG-filled issues of Gamefan are responsible for making me the game geek that I am today.

As for internet sources, IGN is still dependable, but I can't believe that they fired Dave Smith. He was the best reviewer there, or anywhere else, for that matter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cafeman
    On the net ... hmmm ... that's a real problem because anybody (even me ) can write reviews and get them published. Most of them are just quickly thrown together clever opinions, nothing else.
    The problem with videogame reviews, at least as I see it, is that they all follow the same predictable formula. "The graphics are..." "The sound and music are..." The gameplay is..." The reason I've always loved DP's reviews (especially Santulli) is that the writers took the time to bring you into their world, and let you know why they really loved or hated that game that's on every cover.

I think videogame criticism needs to grow up, and grow out of the same please-the-advertisers, appeal-to-teenage-boys, Mad-libs sensibility. I want to read something like Roger Ebert or Pauline Kael. The average videogame player is 28, nearly half are women. There should be a way to reach them.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Where I write for: http://www.ntsc-uk.com

Great reviews, always different, always objective...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Thomas

The problem with videogame reviews, at least as I see it, is that they all follow the same predictable formula ... The reason I've always loved DP's reviews (especially Santulli) is that the writers took the time to bring you into their world, and let you know why they really loved or hated that game that's on every cover.
    Put a few links to good DP reviews here, Dan, could you? Also give us a link to a few of yours that you particularly like. I may have already read most of them over time, but I'd like to see some you recommend to compare to the drivel I see at some places.

I used to write reviews, for site like the long-defunct Dimension-SEGA to Gaming-Age. I've stopped writing reviews and I doubt I'll write another because of the reasons you listed -- it's too easy to fall into the predictable, dull "been-there read-that" formula. If I were going to write again, it would be an article, not a review.

I like The VideoGameCritic's reviews too, even ones I disagree with (thank goodness his "F" on Star Raiders was recently reevaluated!!! ). Brief and to the point, just his opinions why he does/doesn't like 'em. Wordiness kills a good review.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the Canadian show Electric Playground for reviews (televised reviews are obviously a little less in-depth). Between Tommy and Victor I usaully get at a good overview or at least a good laugh. Does this show air in the US? IMO it is the best videogame TV show, though in Canada it's really the ONLY videogame TV show.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tech TV's extended play game review show comes on at 3pm central time. It's pretty good, if nothing else you get actual video of the games.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Extended Play used to air on Discovery Science...it no longer does, I don't think. The same hosts also host Judgment Day now, a show on G4 which is an all-review show. EP does other things such as game previews, developer interviews and such.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Digital Press, simply because it reviews the older games, and it's obviously written by people who actually KNOW and LIKE videogaming.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actualy that was Electronic Playground on Discovery Science.
    http://www.elecplay.com/

I think it's still on, I saw it about a month ago.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

ME! I got mad review skillz!!! Check this noize:

3d SUX!!!! 2d r0x!!!! CaVe OwNz j00!!! d00D!!!!

*ahem*

I think I'm the only person who liked Gamefan (in it's post Halverson version). Yep, they were full o'shit a lot of the time, but their reviews always cracked me up. I'll take knee jerk negative reviews over knee jerk postive reviews any day of the week. And some times they were dead on the money, at least in my eyes.

Plus I really appreciated the space given to the obscure and imports. And, of course, I dug the fact that ECM was a fellow shmupper (even if I did disagree with many of his opinions.) I liked the fact that a game like Strider 2 or Virtua On would get the same kind of coverage the latest "Final" Fantasy would get in a more mainstream mag.

Yeah, it seemed like a rag tag fanzine some times. But every other magazine seemed too juvenile or too hype driven for me. Though sometimes I would have to roll my eyes, Gamefan plain and simply covered more games I would actually care to play than any other mag out there.

Other than that, Next Gen was pretty good. A little dry, but I appreciated the fact that it was clearly written for an older demographic. Game Informer improved in the time I read it, but I always felt they were being a little too cute for their own good. (Their reviews were pretty funny at times too, but they started giving out waaay too many 9+ scores for me to trust them.)

EGM was good for a while, last time I saw it tho it seemed like they were aiming younger. And I actually quite liked the Official Dreamcast Mag. I always thought Chris Charla was a good ed.