Thread: PS2 Settlement email received! - WARNING I Think

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS2 Settlement email received! - WARNING I Think

I just received an email that looks suspicious. Has anyone received this email below. It states that there is a PS2 settlement and that you should fill out a claim form. I thought there was an ongoing lawsuit with Sony, but this doesn't look legit. Here's what it says (please note that the link to ps2settlement.com doesn't go directly there. the link looked odd so I didn't click on it or try it) :

"An Important Notice from the Superior Court of the State of California, County of San Mateo, United States and from the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, Canada, About a Class Action Settlement Involving the PS2

IF YOU OWN A PS2, YOU COULD GET BENEFITS FROM THE SETTLEMENT.

A proposed settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit concerning the performance of the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system ("PS2"). You may be a member of the Class whose rights may be affected by this lawsuit. The sole purpose of this notice is to inform you of the lawsuit so that you may decide what steps to take in relation to it.

If the settlement is approved, Class Members who complete and return a Claim Form, on or before February 16, 2006, may be eligible to receive settlement benefits. The claim form may be accessed at www.PS2Settlement.com or obtained from the PS2 Settlement Administrator, c/o Rust Consulting, Inc., PO Box 1784, Faribault MN 55021-1784.

Whether you are entitled to benefits will depend upon which subclass you are in. You may also choose to exclude yourself from the settlement. There are deadlines associated with the choices you may make regarding the settlement, and the last day to submit completed claim forms, to object to the settlement or to opt out is February 16, 2006. More information describing your rights under the settlement, as well as instructions for filing a claim may be accessed by contacting the Settlement Administrator. To contact the Settlement Administrator, please access the website at www.PS2Settlement.com, call toll-free 1-800-352-5331, or write PS2 Settlement Administrator, c/o Rust Consulting, Inc., PO Box 1784, Faribault MN 55021-1784.

Pour accéder au site Web du Règlement, cliquez sur le lien suivant: www.PS2Settlement.com."

(BTW, if this has been posted already, please delete this post. It's the first time I'm seeing it.)

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Yes. I got something similar to this one about a week ago, but I dont remember that website as the link thru. I'll have to look and see if I've still got it .
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Well for what it's worth that does link to the REAL PS2 settlement website. And there is a settlement awaiting approval by a Califronia Judge.

That's 100% legit.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got it to. But, like I said earlier, I threw away the reciept for that PS2 litterally 6 days before that happened. But, I also sold that PS2 about 3 days ago, so oh well.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually the lawsuit and settlement were finalized last week sometime, so it very well could be real.

It's a REALLY CRAPPY settlement though.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

I received it too/through it in a folder to look over later.....(thinking then it was bogus..

I'm not filling it out or...even though I had two PS2 crap out ..

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thing is, you need your receipt, and it has to be within certain dates and models, etc... Abosultely best case scenario? You get a free game you could probly go out and pickup for $5-$10 on ebay.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This reminds me of the old Nintendo 8 bit settlement when they had a class action lawsuit against them for fixing NES prices. We were all busy playing our SNES when we received the cute little $5 certificate good on any new NES game purchase. I bet that really hit Nintendo right in the wallet.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    Thing is, you need your receipt, and it has to be within certain dates and models, etc... Abosultely best case scenario? You get a free game you could probly go out and pickup for $5-$10 on ebay.
    Well it did cover a good amount of models but your PS2 had to be bought within the last 13 months or some outrageuosly short time ago.
    R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

http://www.rfgeneration.com

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zing
    This reminds me of the old Nintendo 8 bit settlement when they had a class action lawsuit against them for fixing NES prices. We were all busy playing our SNES when we received the cute little $5 certificate good on any new NES game purchase. I bet that really hit Nintendo right in the wallet.
    good memory Seems to me that the big corporations ALWAYS come out nearly scot-free, whether it's Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, etc.

On this deal, that seems to be a legitimate email, but there could definitely be a lot of scams launched that look identical, but are actually harvesters for identity theft or spam.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I wish someone would link to my original thread....I was the one who posted on this and I explained all of the details.

You can get:
    1) $25
    2) Free game from a list
    3) Free or reduced cost repairs

And it covers models that go back all the way to the 30000, NOT just ones bought in the last year.

It depends on the sub class of the DRE and/or damaged discs that your PS2 falls under -- disc read error, damaged discs, or new units.

It's not THAT bad of a settlement....the biggest problem is providing proof of purchase that you bought or got it new (receit, credit card statement, something).
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah, but if you read the page, you had to actually purchase it within the last 13 months, no matter what model number you have. If not, I'd sign up just for the free game.

Join the Konami All Stars and get FREE stuff!

Visit the Prototype Archive - System Failure - A really old backup.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Not true. Read this part explaing the second and third sub classes of the settlement:

B. Repair Fee Subclass. You are part of the Repair Fee Subclass if, within 13 months after the date your PS2 was purchased new at retail, you paid a SCEA authorized service provider to repair the PS2 for problems with allegedly inappropriate “Disc Read Error” messages, for alleged failure to play, or for allegedly damaging CDs or DVDs during play.
    C. Loss of Use Subclass. You are part of the Loss of Use Subclass if, within 13 months after the date your PS2 was purchased: (a) your PS2 had problems with allegedly inappropriate “Disc Read Error” messages, alleged failure to play, or alleged damage to CDs or DVDs during playback; (b) you contacted SCEA or Plaintiffs’ Attorneys for repair information; and (c) you did not have the PS2 repaired because of the cost

So, REGARDLESS of when you bought the PS2, you will qualify for one of the sublcasses if:
    For B: You had your PS2 repaired by Sony within 13 months of buying it.
    For C: You contacted Sony about your PS2 within 13 months of buying it but chose not to get it fixed.

Notice it does'nt say you had to have BOUGHT your PS2 within 13 months (that's only for Subclass A). As long as you either had it FIXED or CONTACTED Sony about WITHIN the first 13 months of you owning it, you qualify.

Example: I bougnt my PS2 Model 30001 in January 2002. I contacted Sony six months later after getting DRE errors and was told the repair cost was around $150. I chose not to have it done. Now, if I can find my proof of purchase (a credit card statement, in my case) and my phone bill showing the call to Sony (both easily obtainable) I qualify for Subsection C -- even THOUGH my PS2 is coming up on being 4 years old!

See?
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ahh everyone i know took it upon themselves to fix their PS2 in their own way o none of us qualify.

Many of use eliminated our DREs with a qtip and windex.

The only thing i nver could fix was my System of a Down cd that got more or less destroyed in my cuz's ps2.
    R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

http://www.rfgeneration.com