Thread: My female friend. (Amiga Discussion)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default My female friend. (Amiga Discussion)

So, anyone into Amiga around here or are we supposed to talk about consoles?

Is there any place to get an A1200 besides ebay? Everytime I see one on there is is in England and they want over $100 just to ship it here. Plus, a PAL Amiga would use different power right (or at least a different plug?)

I got into Amigas after I started playing with WinUAE (but for the same reason I bought a SNES, emulators are not as fun as the real thing.)

So, any 'miggy' fans around here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't played an Amiga since back in the day. You're right, in the UK they were popular. I used to play round my friends house all the time - often we simply plugged megadrive control pads in. My favourite memory is 2player co-operative Chaos Engine. All the other great amiga games i think i've either played on PC or elsewhere.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The thing that concerns me the most is that the A1200 in particular sold VERY poorly in the states. Soooo, I keep going to goodwill or salvation army and getting frustrated..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prismra
    The thing that concerns me the most is that the A1200 in particular sold VERY poorly in the states. Soooo, I keep going to goodwill or salvation army and getting frustrated..
    The A1200 was an awesome machine to own, however, not that many people did so, it was the A500 that was the big popular machine. Again, I've no idea how popular it was in the states. Over here it seems that all the big computer games came out on the Amiga, and the PC had the same titles although less of a games machine. Also the Amiga sold little compared to the big consoles i.e the MegaDrive

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, from what I've read the Amigas didn't sell so well here is the good old US-of-A because consumers didn't trust that a cheap computer could be any good. They were priced around 1/2 or 1/4 the price of a 'traditional' PC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$100 to ship and An Amiga + PSU + Mouse + Games and so on abroad to the USA is probably an accurate rate you know :P

Ive shipped alot of things to the USA and i can imagine the weight vs price on an amiga!

Awesome machine though, the one that brought me into the gaming world mainly!
    Anyone getting into Amiga, I recommend these games:
    Benefactor, Woodys World, Monkey Island, Chuck Rock 2, Sensible Soccer, Nicky Boom, Kid Chaos, Brian The Lion, Naughty Ones, Fury of the Furries, Lotus Turbo Challenge

However Id recommend an Amiga CD32 over a A500/600 etc I think... Due to the fact with it having a CD Drive, games are easily accessible to try, downloading Isos and so on...
    On top of that, people have compiled some CD32 discs full of old Amiga games...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Of course I can't recommend Amigas enough :D Although I don't think there are enough good AGA games to justify an A1200, if the price is that much higher. The main advantage is of course that you can upgrade it to run HD games. But if you're going for originals, I'd just get myself a cheap A500.
    Wii: 8285 8147 1575 6278

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really wish I was into Amiga when it was popular. The music and gfx are so great! .mod forever
    I did have a 486 DX2 instead, it also did the trick

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, from what I've read the Amigas didn't sell so well here is the good old US-of-A because consumers didn't trust that a cheap computer could be any good. They were priced around 1/2 or 1/4 the price of a 'traditional' PC.
    Please explain the popularity of the Commodore 64 than?

I wouldn't get an A1200. I'd get an A500 or A2000 which will run almost all the games. Easier to find too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Place to talk Amigas? Ermmm (points to sig).

I would recommend a 1200 before I even bothered with a 500 or 2000. Why? AGA chipset, built in hard drive interface, can do composite out (so you can use a TV if so needed), stupidly cheap RAM and memory expansions, PCMCIA slot so you can put it on a network for about $20, 2MB chip RAM, can do some VGA modes so you can use a standard monitor for workbench, WHDLOAD will allow you to play most games off of the HD ... and the list goes on.

Still.. if you have nothing but original floppies a 500 will work.

We went through all the models here: http://particles.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11

I personally have a 500/600/1200/3000/CDTV and CD32

Ice

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still have 2 Amiga 500's, 1 with ADRAM board, and an A1200 (Broken Internal Drive - Need new one). AGA games came out pretty late so an A1200 would not be the way to go just for a few games. But if you wanted the option... The A1200 can still play most of the ECS games with boot options or boot disk. But the A1200's are tough to come by and will cost a pretty penny. Stick with an A500. I have thousands of floppies still. I still spend a lot of time playing the Amiga, I never get tired of a lot of games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've still got a working Amiga 500, but that's good enough for me. It's got the RAM expansion and a stack of floppies. Most of the Amiga games I want to play are all for the 500 anyway....Psygnosis stuff mostly.

Aside from the handful of exclusives, I'd recommend the CD32 as well....though they're much rarer, they have a lot more interesting software and on CD-ROM, easier to DL ISOs, burn games to try before you buy, etc.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Re: My female friend.

Is there any place to get an A1200 besides ebay?
    Well, I bought one from the buying/selling forums here for $20 last week ...

I have a 500 and a CD32 and will soon have my 1200.

I don't remember them being particularly cheap. I think the bigger problem was they were mid-priced, so most people hung on to their 64's because they were cheap or if you were going to spend big money you went PC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Still have my original Amiga 2000HD hooked up and ready to play

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK