Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rumor - Nintendo Revolution for less than $100

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Rumor - Nintendo Revolution for less than $100

This is a rumor that has been spreading for the last 2 days I was in the hospital with now clue about what was going on. It seems like there are some people who are saying the Rev will come out at $100. Is it really possible for Nintendo to do this, and will it help it's current situation?

This is an OPINION! --- The graphics on the Xbox360 are not so WOW! I feel that if Nintendo can make their next system 4 times as powerful as the Gamecube they can compete with Xbox. I still don't know about Sony though. A system that is only 4 times better than the gamecube could run around 100 dollars. So it could be possible.
    All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

With the revolution controller Id assume they are going to pay me 200 bucks to take one home.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can almost guaranatee you that the Revolution wont cost $100 at launch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I doubt it, just look at the GBA Micro's price :/
    Wii: 8285 8147 1575 6278

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd bet my collection that the launch price of the revolution will be 199.99

My collection: Users.ign.com/jcnet1
    (old systems missing lots, new systems missing some (havent updated for almost a year)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xmagxus
    That'd be very smart, and very stupid to have it any cheaper, unless Nintendo just wants to bleed red ink. $100 less than the price of the cheapest XBox 360, and half the likely price of the PS3? May give it some life....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With the way things are going, I'll be really surprised if the Revolution launches any lower than $299.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Even if it costs very little to make, it probably wouldn't be smart to price it under $100. Why? If someone is shopping for a new console, and sees that the Rev. is $200 cheaper than the other two consoles, he's just going to think the Rev. is just a cheap, wimpy console and go with something else. It's the same mentality that caused people to go with Xbox, simply because it was bigger than the Gamecube they assumed it was much more powerful.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cmtz I agree fully I don't think the xbox 360 is that wow

but I don't see the revolution price to be a hundred bucks right away it will start at around 200 I would say

but who know we will see.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I read a huge debate on this yesterday on some other website. The main arguments FOR this rumor were as follows:

Nintendo did say that they wanted to appeal to non-gamers. Pricing a new console at $99 will make non-gamers buy it. I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday, he's not a gamer, but when I told him that it would cost $99, he said that he would buy it because "thats peanuts."

Apparantly, the hardware in the Revolution isn't a huge leap from the Gamecube. And the price of this hardware has gone down considerably since the Gamecube came out, therefore, making Nintendo able to price their console at $99.

The almost have to do this to compete against the PS3 and the 360. Though I still people will buy the Revolution if it were $200, they wouldn't get nearly as many compared to if it were $99.

Actually, pricing a console at $99 is very smart. You sell your consoles for dirt cheap, then you make your money selling the software for that console. Its like printers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by smork

That'd be very smart, and very stupid to have it any cheaper, unless Nintendo just wants to bleed red ink
    Nintendo has about $3 Billion in the Bank. I'm sure they'll be just fine. Plus they actually are making money off of the $100 Game Cubes, whatever they're planning must be pretty good.

To offer a different angle on the Micro, most of the money is for the screen, since the Revolution has no screen, plenty of money saved right there.

On the Developer side, that $100 to $199 price point may be the greatest thing since sliced bread. As long as Nintendo does't play greedy with the licensing fees, most companies (I'd assume) would look at a system that people are only spending 'peanuts' on as a prime stomping grounds.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even if it does sell for $100, it'll still be over £100 here.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If they sold it for $200, they would win the battle. Hands freaking down.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$100 would be awsome, and I doubt it would hurt them in turns of sales, it would probably help them by app;ealing to casual/non gamers because its affordable.

$200 would still be wise, and I hope it doesnt launch anywhere higher than that.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xmagxus
    I'll take you up on that offer; I have a feeling it's going to be 199.95.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

I think they will be doing a good job releasing it at 199. Thats a sweet price. 99.99 Is kinda of just a dream. What system has ever launched at 99.99 bucks? The lowest I could see the revolution is 150.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't see the revolution launching at $99. Most likely will see it launch at $149-$199.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If Nintendo releases the Revolution at any other pricepoint then 100$ - It's looking at another 3rd place finish in the console wars.

I know many parents and other "Non-Hardcore" gamer types who simply aren't going to buy any of the new systems(X-Box, Sony) at those pricepoints. At a 200$ pricepoint, those same people may consider the Revolution, but if they are already looking at dropping 200$ for "Compromise" system - They may just drop a little extra to get the console that they REALLY want. IE: A Sony or X-Box.

A 100$ pricepoint removes that factor. Since they make more money on licensing anyway, it would be a smart business move on Nintendo's part. Nintendo consoles haven't been a "must-have" dominant system since the NES.(and arguably the SNES) Getting the things into peoples hands at any way possible will change that. Especially by coming out at 1/4'th the cost of the competition. Hell, i'd even buy one and give X-Box 360 the middle finger.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well if the games listed at gamestop are any vague sign of the launch lineup there will be 5 MUST own titles at launch. Obviously that list isnt even announced but IF gamestop magically predicted right then there will be a metroid, mario, smash bros, zelda, and final fantasy game at launch. I'd be shocked ifthat happened since no console that I can remember has ever launched with all those top tier titles at once. IF i thappens though nintendo would be off to a great start and easily have the best launch lineup over 360, and most likely the ps3.

I still think the price for the revolution wll launch at around 200 dollars give or take a few cents. If nintendo is stupid they will make it 299.99 though which could very well happen. I seriously doubt the system will launch at 100 dollars because then people might hold back on buying games. "59.99 for games to play on a 100 dollar system!???? no thanks"

But if the system is 200 dollars, 60 dollar games dont sound as bad imo.

My collection: Users.ign.com/jcnet1
    (old systems missing lots, new systems missing some (havent updated for almost a year)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fibblewith
    Even if it does sell for $100, it'll still be over £100 here.

I disagree. Personally, I think that we will get the same price, 1:1 exchange rate. e.g. if it sells for 99 bucks in usa, we'll get it for 99 quid.

I've seen that happen with most comptuing equipment in england....

On a side note, if Ninty, REALLY wanted to win the console wars, (imho) they would need to do nothing more than have all their games on DVD disks, copying-able in a standard DVD-/+ R burner; it tends to be a HUGS incentive; especially as magazines can make their own "demo" disks and piracy (contrary to popular belief) does help a console a great deal; look at what it did for the PS1...
    Michele