Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XBOX not working

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default XBOX not working

Hey

I have had my Xbox since December 2001 and now it has just started to act up.

When I turn it on it makes a loud clicking noise and the led flashes red and then goes to a screen saying to call microsoft I tried and they did not help and they said I could send it in however my waranty is obviously expired and the cost of getting it fixed is high I could just buy a used Xbox

Please help I need to finish LEGO: Star Wars

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From the age and the noise you are hearing, my guess would be the DVD drive.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Or in another case a Hard Drive Malfution,tell me what number does it show on screen?

Error Codes:

0 - any - No error (duh)
    1 - bootldr - Unknown exactly, something to do with checking the motherboard
    2 - bootldr - Eeprom check failed
    3 - bootldr - ??/not used
    4 - bootldr - Ram check failed
    5 - kernel - HDD not locked (retail bioses require the hd to be locked)
    6 - kernel - Cannot unlock HDD
    7 - kernel - HDD timeout
    8 - kernel - No HDD found
    9 - kernel - HDD parameters (PIO/DMA/or size {debug}, certain size minimum is required for debug)
    10 - kernel - DVD timeout
    11 - kernel - No DVD Found
    12 - kernel - DVD parameters (PIO/DMA)
    13 - kernel - Dashboard launch fail (due to missing/bad key, or anything else that would prevent it from running) and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed.
    14 - dashboard - Error loading dashboard (dashboard generic error)
    15 - - ??/not used
    16 - dashboard - Other files to do with dashboard / dashboard settings (specific dashboard error)
    17 - - ??/not used
    18 - - ??/not used
    19 - - ??/not used
    20 - kernel - The dashboard was attempted to load and failed; It was a cold boot, and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed, but it (for some reason) needed to be noted that the dvd passed the challenge/response authentication
    21 - anywhere - This error says that the machine was booted to display a error, basically someone told the machine to reboot (or launch a xbe) with this flag, and the error code just means its been rebooted by the flag
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Huh quite wierd, I don't see a number but I get the same message each time telling me to call customer service in a bunch of languages

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

whoa
    I am such a nerd.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm usally when theres an error the led flashes or if its serious a number is at the top left of the screen. Does the led flash red and green or does it go solid red.Plus if your getting the multi language screen it should have a number.

Led Errors:

Solid Green : Nothing wrong.

Flashing Green: Loading Disc

Flashing Green Repeatly : Bad EPROM image

Steady Green : No Video Coma Console

Flashing Red and Orange (Amber) : Video display problem, check cord. Also try switching to another video mode by changing the cable. I currently have an Xbox that displays this error when connected to the standard composite video cable but boots fine when connected to a RF adapter cord.

Flashing Red and Green Numerous causes, system failure see also Call Customer Service Error
    Tries To Boot Three Times and then starts flashing red and green. Also Known as "Christmas Lights" In my experience this is due to a failed mod chip and broken traces. I have also seen it on two stock Xboxes doing the same thing.

Flashing Green and Orange: A/V Cable not plugged in.

Solid Red: System has Overheated or Hardware Failure.

Flashing Red Orange and Green: Unknown
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've seen HDD failures that threw no error code number.

Clicking noise, no number, your HDD is very likely dead. Your LEGO Racers save is already gone, so start grieving now.

It's a good mod candidate, and it can be repaired, but that's about it.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I'd install a mod chip and pop a huge hard drive in there... or you could give it to me and I'll install a mod chip and pop a huge hard drive in there .

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I have heard about people who put like 120gb Harddrives in and put a bunch stuff on them. But I am a bit confused on how to do it.
    I am now pretty sure that the Harddrive is making the clicking the diskdrive seems fine even though it is a thomson drive which I heard are the apsolute worse

are there any non soldering modships for Xbox how much will they cost

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1) solderless kits are unreliable, and do come loose. Only solderless kit sellers seem to endorse them.

2) Solderless kits cost about $20-$25US extra on top of the chip. Installers (solder install) charge between $25US-$35US to install it properly.

With solderless kit, you can't trust the install. When you have problems with chip flashing, or dashboard updating, or any of the other many many steps, with a solderless, you will have a harder time troubleshooting.

*waits for someone with a solderless chip in their box to come in and say his single positive experience outweighs my experience repairing more than 1000+ Xboxes*
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah that sucks I have little skill in xbox opening

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you can't do it yourself, I'd either sell it to someone and buy a new one, or send it to someone to mod for you... I've never done a solderless mod (I always did the homebrew 30+ wire flash bios replacement), and on the last one (1.6), you can't do those anymore, so I got a SmartXX LT OPX, which has a chip that's made specifically for the 1.6 (although it'll work for the rest of the versions)... it was the easiest thing I've ever installed... it took about 5 minutes including taking apart the case .

I'd also warn about the solderless mods... one of my friends who is a computer technician, so he's careful and familiar with parts like this fried his xbox trying to do a solderless mod (had the pogo pins). I'm not sure exactly what he did, but when I looked at it, it blinks the lights like a bad bios, but you can smell something burning, and when I looked for the smell, I noticed his video chip was EXTREMELY hot, and had a slight crack in it... so the mobo is dead. This was after he already removed the bad mod, so it permanently damaged it.

DogP

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you are going to mod and do not want a mod chip that you have to solder on, then i to must say that i think solderless mod chips are most often unreliable. But has anyone else here ever seen or heard of the mod called Evalution X?

I have seen it done in videos before, and even once on the populare techTV/G4 show Attack Of The Show, back when they were still called the Screen Savers. It requires a copy of Mech Assault (i believe they said NON-platnium hits), a memory card input converter to a usb port (that you can get free by calling Microsoft as they mail them out to owners of the Phantasy Star Online game), and a cheap little usb thumb drive. After that, you have to find some file on the net called 'run linux'. Put that on your usb thumb brive. Now plug up the thum drive to a xbox controller and turn the system on without a game disk in. copy the file to your xbox hard drive - NOTE, the picture in the bubble to the left should have a picture of the Linux penguin. Now if you start up Mech Assault, you should be able to sellect campaign mode and find a new save labled, RUN LINUX. The stats all the way down will read UNKNOWN. Select this. The XBOX will appear to freeze up. Turn the system off and back on, removeing the game disk. You should see a new menu screen that has a lot of blue and reads Evelution X. You can use the menus to do many things including copying games and movies to the hdd and putting on and running apps such as emulators!

Do not ask me where to get the needed file off the net as i do not know. I was just bringging this up as another option to mod a system without using soldered chips, in fact, you never have to open the system!
    I will get around to editing this thing again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, the software exploits do work, but I think it's a little late now, as the hard drive is dead. You can't (easily) install another HD in there without modding the hardware. I guess you could use the locker program and re-lock the new hard drive to the xbox serial number, but that's probably a lot more work than he wants to do, and I guess I've never had a reason to do it, so I'm not sure that it works (don't see why it wouldn't though).

But if he buys another xbox, software exploits are fine (just check compatibility with the different xbox versions), but I'd prefer just to do a hardware mod.

DogP

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good point.

True Dat DogP. The HD could present a great problem. And Hardware mods are cool anyways.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BTW

Does anybody know for sure what some of the top problems that cause the system to not power up right and go to the needs repair screen with the led light flashing Green and Red?

alec006 said that there could be many causes, but for the most part from his experience it was from bad or failed mods.

The reason that I ask is that I have a friend who's Xbox recently broke down. I am trying to fin the cause and see if it is EASILY fixable WITHOUT mailing it to someone else to fix it.

I would also really like to know the problem as he has promised to give me his Xbox for FREE! when the Xbox 360 comes out and he gets one of them so that I may attempt to fix and possibly mod and hack it.

So far, the only info that I have on his Xbox problem is that when he powers it up, something inside the system will click over and over and the system will go to the Your Xbox Needs Repairs screen. After reading this and talking to him more he said that the led light flasshes Red And Green, but he dose not remember seeing, and believes there is not a number on his screeen. He has always taken great care of his system and has never moded it, or even opened!

Any ideas?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Click?

Dead HDD gauranteed.

For repairs, a year ago I hardly ever saw this problem. The last couple months it becoming quite common in OSG repairs.

Thay are wearing out it seems.

Dead HDD Xboxes are excellent mod candidates.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, what do you need to do, what recomemnded mods or hacks or whatever, to be able to put a new HDD in, especially as this system will proably be mine soon anyways for that purpose.

Recomendations?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Put in a chip, and download the tools to set it up with a new HDD. That's all you have to do, but to do that, you need to learn a bunch of stuff. It's all at www.xbox-scene.com.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Omnedon--do you think that the use of custom sountracks is likely to shorten the life of the Xbox hard drive?
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY