Thread: Which console variations to keep?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Which console variations to keep?

I've been meaning to tidy up my collection for a while now and I'm finally doing it.

For instance, I have 3 different Atari 2600 consoles: 1 heavy sixer (aka Big Sexy), 1 4-switch woodgrain and 1 Darth Vader
    Why do I need 3? I don't! So I'm going to get rid of all but the 4-switch woodgrain (I picked that one because my wife has had it since she was a kid). The other systems aren't as easy to choose though...

Atari 5200: 2-port or 4-port? On the one hand, the 4-port could be used for 4-player action (if I had that many controllers) but what a pain that RF-switchbox is!

Colecovision: Do I really need a PAL console?

Game Boy: Why keep it when I have a GBA?

Intellivision: Intellvision I, Sears Video Arcade or Tandyvision?
    I've pretty much decided to keep the Sears console because of the removeable controllers (in fact I've already listed the regular Intellivision on eBay).

Odyssey 2: Hard-wired or removeable controllers?

SMS: Do I need one when I have the Genesis adapter?

TRS-80: 1 or 2?

VIC-20: Older or newer model? Who cares?

Most of these are rhetorical questions, I was just wondering if anyone else has struggled with this and what your decisions were.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Which console variations to keep?

Quote Originally Posted by Keir to the nth power
    Most of these are rhetorical questions, I was just wondering if anyone else has struggled with this and what your decisions were.
    Indeed, I have struggled with it too. In the end, I keep them all, and trade the lesser condition version of duplicate variants. I just can't bear to make the choice between console varients. On my actual gaming equipment setup, I put in place the version that I feel best represents the platform for myself (i.e. whatever I had back in the heyday). The 2600 is a woodgrain, the Genesis is a model 1, the Intellivision is a Tandyvision and so forth.

If I had anything less than a full basement to display my collection, I might do things differently.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was entertaining the same thoughts re 2-port and 4-port 5200 systems, and wondering whether to keep the GBC now that I have the GBA.

As far as the GBC goes, they seem to bring in about $20.00 on ebay, and probably less in trade. It's not bulky, so I'll probably keep it as a "loaner" system for when relative's kids and such come around. Better they mess with that than, well, anything else. Besides. Aren't you a collector as well as a gamer?

The 5200. I've got two 4-ports and one 2-port. I've been using the beat-up 4-port as the gaming console, and storing the others in the attic. I've been thinking about hooking up the 2-port instead, because I've determined that it's highly unlikely that I'll ever have a spontaneous gathering of three other people who will want to play, what, Super Breakout? Asteroids? And, yeah, those switchboxes are the dickens, aren't they?

So I'll probably sell/trade the beater 4-port and store the clean one, while playing the 2-port. But if I were only keeping one? I'd check the incompatibility lists if I were going to do that (apparently a few games only work with one or the other), but I'd probably keep the 4-port system and obtain a back-up switchbox.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

and your a collector !!!!!! shame on you wanting to sell j/k

Im in the same fix I have a bunch of stuff like that.Like the 2 orphan 2600's I have with no parts and all the commadore crap I have.I say keep the clean looking stuff because you will likley come across more in the future.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

and your a collector !!!!!! shame on you wanting to sell j/k
    By selling my extra consoles I'm making room for more games!

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

In the case of hardware I'd always keep extras. You just never know when Old Faithful will just give up the ghost one day.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been struggling with similar questions for awhile now. In fact I took it to another level, and total did away with several of my systems. It's tough, but in the end I had/still have more than I ever really need or wanted anyway, but it's hard to turn loose of something you've been holding on to for many years sometimes. Ultimately though if it isn't getting used I would rather sell it to buy something that will.

I started by selling my Tandyvision, then I sold my Intellivision I and II along with all my games recently. Loss of interest, & taking up too much space.

Sold most of my Coleco stuff, although I still have like 2 systems, an Adam, and 12-15 carts. Again not enough interest. I plan to get rid of the rest soon.

I sold my boxed SMS to keep the Power Base adapter for my Genesis.

I sold my boxed Genny 2 to keep my Genny 1 (loose, I would liike a box for this)
    I sold my boxed Sega CD sideloader to keep the frontloader model I had (loose again, another box I'd like to have)

I simply liked the original models better.

I sold my boxed NES TopLoader in favor of my boxed Toaster Nes and a Super 8. I'm now debating selling my toaster?

I sold off my Atari 400, 800, & 130XE to keep my boxed XEGS. I kind of wish I still had the 400 around for my Synapse titles. :/

I still have several like 8 or so 2600's I plan on just keeping my boxed heavy-sixer. I don't really need all the variations. They're on the choping block next. As well as all the Pong and unused computer systems I have. :/

TRS-80 & VIC-20, I think are both a question of who cares

I have a VIC-20 too, I never much liked it. Systems like TRS-80, VIC-20 and Odyssey 2 are not in very high demand, you would be safe to sell off your extra and you could always buy back another should you desire. It won't cost you much.

I would advise you to just take your time, not make any snap decisions. I kind of look back at where my collection was, 30+ systems, 1500+ games, pretty much all unique, and now to where it's headed, and get sad at times. But when I really think about it, it's only material things. Mostly stuff I hadn't even used in years.

Oh and I would personally keep the 4-port! It plays all the games the 2-port doesn't. Also I like that funky little game switch. No reaching behind the tv to flip a switch for me! :P

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You could throw that sms my way. *checks wallet* nevermind
    Sorry Ryan, but your girlfriend is in another school.

Video games & manga (my manga scanlation group that scanlates video game manga) http://www.north101.net/Chara/vgm/index.html

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would keep the 6-switch Atari, because that's the original version. That's the version that was available when Space Invaders became a major hit, and millions of those 6-switchers were sold. It's the historic version.

But then, I may be biased since *I* had a 6-switch as a kid. My nieces had the 4-switch version, and I hated it. How on earth are you supposed to reach the difficulty switches when they're hidden on the back? There proper place is on the front within easy reach.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I cannibalized a 4 switch woody 2600 to give a couple of it's switches to my needy SunnyVale Heavy sixer. It works and looks great now.

The heavy Sixer is special because it is US made, and they DID NOT make millions of them. It was so successful, all future variants were made in other countries. the original heavy sixer is the real pioneer, and not terribly common. the only one I've seen here in the Great White North is mine, and I've easily seen 10 systems go through my hands so far.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!